RSS

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 14, 2020 9:05 pm  

No Coach worth their salt doesn't have Expectations. None of us are driven not to meet those same expectations.  

By Contrast, Any "Coach" who fails to accept blame or turns that blame on 7-13 year old children doesn't deserve the title Coach! 

When they fail its "MY FAULT". Always will be!  When they succeed, its because they did it right!    

When that MPP or Stud has snot bubbles coming out of their nose and tears streaming down their face because they got whipped in practice or during a game. Chose your words carefully!!  What you say at that moment, will make or break everything for him or her! Are you "That Guy" who determines their sense of confidence and self worth???  YOU BET YOUR ASS YOU ARE!   

I did not say coddle them.  I did not say make the expectation any less.  What I did say is make damn sure to let them know you appreciate their effort to meet your expectation!  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 15, 2020 9:27 am  
Posted by: @youth-coach

Any "Coach" who fails to accept blame or turns that blame on 7-13 year old children doesn't deserve the title Coach! 

--And yet, the blame game is prevalent at every level of coaching.

When they fail its "MY FAULT". Always will be!  When they succeed, its because they did it right!    

--When I attend practice, my number one goal is that I get all of my players to be successful at that particular practice.  Their personal success is crucial to the learning process.

When that MPP or Stud has snot bubbles coming out of their nose and tears streaming down their face because they got whipped in practice or during a game. Chose your words carefully!!  

--This ^.  Thank you, Scott.

I did not say coddle them.  I did not say make the expectation any less.  

--Unfortunately, this is all too common at most practices I see.  The tail definitely wags the dog.

--Recently, I was asked to be a part of an organization that trains kids in the off-season for conditioning and competition.  Despite how hard these kids are pushed, it works well because the coaches have a high demand/high reward approach.  Despite these practices being "grinders," the practices are positive, upbeat, encouraging (yet very demanding).  Kids work hard and parents have smiles on their faces.  The coaches do a great job of showing excitement about being there.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: