Notifications
Clear all

How to get kids/parents to return all equipment at the end of season?

Page 2 / 3

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I think the place I coached a few years ago owed a bunch of past-due money to the helmet company.

I imagine they couldn't really complain about kids/parents "stealing" the helmets that the organization "stole" first.  I'm pretty sure it didn't stop them, though.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Just do what we do, door to door with a baseball bat 🙂

I was just talking to my dad yesterday about something and he said..."Let me introduce you to my friend Vinny from Jersey...oh, don't worry, Vinny always carries a baseball bat with him whenever he has to talk to somebody.  Vinny would like to talk to you about returning our property...."

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Moose, Rocco, help the judge find his wallet.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Make the coach financially responsible... Betcha all kinda stuff comes back on time

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Make the coach financially responsible... Betcha all kinda stuff comes back on time

Sorry but, unless I had the responsibility of signing them up, I sure as heck don't want to be on the hook for paying for their equipment! 

We send letters and spend hours calling and driving to their houses to pick stuff up. 

Sigh! Other than making them strip naked at the lat game of the season, we do have a participation trophy ceremony to collect all the goods!! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Sorry but, unless I had the responsibility of signing them up, I sure as heck don't want to be on the hook for paying for their equipment! 

We send letters and spend hours calling and driving to their houses to pick stuff up. 

Sigh! Other than making them strip naked at the lat game of the season, we do have a participation trophy ceremony to collect all the goods!!

My experiance if coaches made any effort it wouldnt be a problem. Last game i take helmets n shoulder pads. The next monday i get the rest...or they dont get a ticket to the banquet and we go to the lawyer, we do have an equipment contract

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

When I had the inner city program with 400 kids- we had a parent/player contract for returning gear. Talked about it before the season at parents meeting etc- If you dont turn it in on specified date or banquet- $5 per day, $100 fee to pick up AND you cant play the following year. Had from 12-20 sets of gear not returned every year. Never from my personal teamm never any problems with my strong coaches teams etc. We went and picked up- a real hassle and we never bothered suing people that we would never be able to collect anything from. Sometimes when I would go to a home, it would be abandoned. We usually lost 4-5 sets of gear a year. Always from the weakest coaches team. When a kid has missed 2 practices- you pick the gear up the next day.

Toward the end of my tenure there- we would collect the helmet and shoulder pads at the last game, then they would turn in the pants, practice and game jersey at the banquet.

The largest program in our league would stage a Bowl game thing after the season was over at their complex. They had a semi trailer parked in the parking lot and they checked everyone off directly after the game.

Where Im at now- in 8 years weve lost zero sets of gear. Only have 75 kids. Had a few instances where kids forgot to bring the gear to banquet and got it the following month. We have the contract and talk etc, but weve averaged losing just 1 player per year for the last 5-6 years.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Oh that's another point that I forgot to make--
We added a policy/procedure this year that does say, if you do not return your equipment or pay for lost/damaged/stolen equipment, then your child will not be eligible to play for our organization or collect any awards.

I guess it goes back to the saying that "locks only keep honest men honest."  You can only do so much to try to mitigate the risk of losing equipment.  Each approach has pros and cons.  It would be nice to take a physical equipment deposit, but that would limit the number of kids participating in the program because of the high entry costs.  Additionally you'd want to put the "deposit" into an escrow account to keep everything on the up-and-up.
Taking a post-dated check, there's always the chance that the check is going to bounce and you're going to be left without equipment and without money...if you try to take it to court, you still have to take the time to do that, there's no guarantees you're going to get a pay out and at the end of the day it has the potential of making your organization look like you're a bunch of hard-asses.  Which sometimes is a good thing, it could also be a bad thing for your interactions with the community.  ohhhhhhh the fun of youth football. =)

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
CRM1241
(@crm1241)
Copper

We go the deposit check route that we don't cash. We make it $400, however, and explain it as "we don't want your money, we just want our equipment". We also have them sign a sheet with replacement prices on it, as well as our drop dead return date. We have 2 gear return dates as well as our banquet date, so there are plenty of opportunities for them to return the gear.

One year we had a helmet that had obviously been dragged along the cement, several others that were missing facemasks, parents who conveniently lost one of the jerseys, etc. Since we've instituted it two years ago - we cashed a $100 check previously and wrote refunds, which was a MAJOR pain - our unrecovered gear went from the dozens to 4 total over the combined seasons. It seems to have worked for us.

ReplyQuote
BwigMH
(@bwigmh)
Lurker

Sheriffs office is the best, final email telling them to expect a deputy at their door step and you would be suprised how far this will get you.

Are you committed to your craft or just happy being good?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Why no just provide the league,the schedule, the insurance, the refs, the game fields and the practice fields?

Everything else is up to the parents. Nothing ever gets lost, stolen, abused....and if it does....you dont care.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Why no just provide the league,the schedule, the insurance, the refs, the game fields and the practice fields?

Everything else is up to the parents. Nothing ever gets lost, stolen, abused....and if it does....you dont care.

But it's so much more efficient and safe for the club to handle at least the helmets.  Having each family fit helmets...not fun.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

But it's so much more efficient and safe for the club to handle at least the helmets.  Having each family fit helmets...not fun.

B

Thats what sporting goods facilities are for.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Thats what sporting goods facilities are for.

Are they seriously good at that?  I keep imagining the staff as mere kids hired for a summer.  Not that coaches would necessarily be experts either, but I'd like to see how people's experience with retailers compares.

ReplyQuote
DANGERZONE
(@dangerzone)
Bronze

Coach we get our gear at the last game...make the kids have a change of clothes...we also give out two jerseys as well so the other jersey not used is collected at the last week of practice. Last resort would be to collect some equipment @ the end of season banquet

‎"I make my practices real hard ........because if a player is a quitter.....I want him to quit in practice, not in a game."
Bear Bryant / Alabama

"It's amazing what you can accomplish if enough people care" Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: