Notifications
Clear all

keeping stats

sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Not sure why this slipped my mind until now. Our first game is Saturday. Would any of you be kind enough to email me a template for how you keep stats. As the DC in years prior i never worried about the format. HC uploaded stats and a GA took the stats from the booth.  It slipped my mind until now and I'd love an easy to follow tried and true format rather than clustering up something myself. My email is sabot6d@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance.

On a side note. We are playing in Aurora, IL on Saturday with a 2pm kickoff at Aurora Christian High school if any of our Chicago area guys want to come and watch.  Its a 3.5 hour drive for us, we usually dont travel this far being from Michigan but they came to us 2 times last year to fill a gap in our schedule when a team folded. We promised we would come to them this year.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I never did it in real time.  I always gathered our statistical data from being able to watch film.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thats what  i did with youth. My concern is that we do at some fields where there isnt a box or stands and trying to make sure everyone is accurate from field level view is hard sometimes.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

We had a student coach write. Down distance ydline plus or minus, another student asst wrote the play call. Then this was combined

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Thats what  i did with youth. My concern is that we do at some fields where there isnt a box or stands and trying to make sure everyone is accurate from field level view is hard sometimes.

We had more than one camera.  ;). And a hunters stand on top of my truck.

—Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I have a laptop webcam in the booth for full field view and 2 hand helds. 1 in the stands. 1 on the sideline.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Now keep in mind that our previous administration did not feel that film was important at all so the webcam in the booth is actually mine. I bought 2 used portables for the team now as well. This team quite literally had no infrastructure before i took over so it's like building a five star meal out of leftovers from the homeless shelter.

We have great kids and motivated staff though so we will make it work.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Now keep in mind that our previous administration did not feel that film was important at all

Are they that stupid, or do they just not care?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Is both an available answer?

We had 6 footballs total for the program. 3 of those were rubber ones from the 80s. I bought 40 balls varying quality, various manufacturers, some used, most new.

We have so much random nonsense in our equipment trailer that makes no sense to still have yet we didnt have the basics of any successful program. My offseason has been busy trying to build a foundation we can actually rely on for a decade rather that just slap bandaids on bullet holes.

Hence why i overlooked something as simple as a stat sheet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

My offseason has been busy trying to build a foundation we can actually rely on for a decade rather that just slap bandaids on bullet holes.

I tried to do the same thing with my first high school header job at KHHS.  It was like trying to push a boulder up a mountain with a spoon.  I put in 70 hours a week during the season, which is no exaggeration because I worked 6 days a week.  Learned a lot, but what was the point?  The high school doesn't even exist anymore.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

I don't have a template, but it's pretty simple.

For offensive stats, just have a box for rushes, receptions, and passes attempted.

Every time the QB throws a pass, put a tick mark in that box.

Every time a receiver catches a pass, start a space with his number, then write down how many yards the reception was for.  That's it.

At the end of the game, you can add up the receiver's individual receptions to get his total numbers.  You can use the number of receptions vs. the number of attempts to get passes.  Easy.

Treat rushes the same way as receptions were explained above.

If you want to record big plays like sacks, fumbles, or INTs, just have a little box for each.  Every time a player gets one (or loses one), write down the player's number and circle it so they don't run together.

Tackles were done off film after the game.

Somebody needs to be assigned to be the statistician if you want to do this real-time.

If you want to get a little deeper into it and look for tendencies and something to dissect at halftime, I posted about something I used to do when I was a first year coach and was up in the booth.  It seemed like a lot, but if you use good shorthand it's doable to get a lot of data.  While you usually don't need to do a statistical analysis to figure out what your opponent is trying to do, sometimes you can gain an insight into something they're doing with formations.  One time we had an opponent who had a stud LT but the rest of their line was weak, so what seemed like strong/weak tendencies at first glance actually turned out to be Left/Right tendencies at halftime, with them formationing our defense to get a bubble on that guy's side so they could run the ball his way.  Another time we figured out that the overwhelming tendency was to run the plays to their own sideline, rather than strong/weak or right/left.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

There are stat books that are available at the local sporting goods store with columns of categories they consider to be standard, plus other columns that you can use to make your own.  We kept a stat called “First responder.” That was the first tackler to their ball-carrier.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I honestly just cheated and went through google and found a good template i liked.

I like the first responder stat.

The team we are playing run a stupid version of the double wing. They run double wing power, counter, dive and wedge.

Where they go wrong is that they dont pull any linemen and they dont have TEs they split them as wide outs and only throw seams and screens to them. My CBs can man them up 1on1 all day. No TEs screws up there power timing. There wedge is honestly a pain though. They ran 57 offensive plays against us last year. 49 of which were runs. 33 of those wedge. Their wedge averaged 3 yards per carry and their Oline outweighed my Dline by at least 50lbs each.

If our kids come to play we should run away with it early. If our kids dick around like they did last year it will be a long and mean dogfight.

ReplyQuote
Share: