Notifications
Clear all

More Unpleasantness In My 2021

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I knew as I got older my contemporaries would be dying, but I wasn't thinking about friends much younger than me, and 2021's been bad for everyone's health.  My cousin Lee whom I talked to a lot on the phone died, but he was 92 and died of...everything.  But my friend Kathy died of her own medical neglect when an undiagnosed-but-should-have-been gall bladder infection led to a ruptured appendix.  She was a few years my senior, however.  But then shortly afterward my friend Bob whom I'd known for well over 30 years (via Kathy originally) and had moved in with me less than 3 years before, went from Covid-19 with diabetes; he was 2 years younger than me.  And a month later, another friend I knew originally from Kathy around the same time (but whose father turned out to be someone I'd known earlier and had forgotten) died from a bleeding ulcer, and I don't think he was even 50 yet.

Today I looked at our SI Play team chat and first learned that Coach Tim was in the hospital -- not the Tim I'd coached with in 2014 and 2015, but the one I'd coached with Saturday night.  I later learned he'd had a stroke while we were coaching that game.  I had no idea and just drove home, but my fellow coach John thought Tim sounded a little "off" just in front of him in the handshake line afterward, and he filled me in on the details today.  From the description, it was either a hemorrhagic or a thrombic/thromboembolic stroke with some bleeding afterward, as he continues to be worked up in intensive care at a hospital with a good stroke unit.  His presenting symptom had been a severe headache.  He's only in his early 40s.  I've coached with him since 2017.  The oldest of his 4 children is on the team, and another plays football with the same club.

It was an exciting game we came back to win from being a touchdown behind at half, and John was talking to me on the phone about upcoming opponents and standings ramifications.  He's really into a lot of nitty-gritty like that, while I'm just looking at whether our players have their heads down or hips too high, and I've got to hand it to John for noticing Tim sounding different from the usual hoarseness he gets after yelling a lot.  I'm told he wound up leaving the park in an ambulance.

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Wow. That's scary, Bob. Last night, I was coaching a rookie team with my good buddy. He started squinting and making weird faces. I asked him if everything was okay and he said his vision went "wonky". He was seeing prisms and stuff. To me, he looked "off". Just a little confused and despite it being after sunset, his pupils were tiny. I told him that it sounded like a migraine, because I get them sometimes. I made a joke to tell me if he started smelling burnt toast. I just texted him to see how he's feeling today.

Scary stuff. Hope Tim makes a full recovery. My mother had 2 devastating strokes. 1 right after I was born and another when I was 22.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I made a joke to tell me if he started smelling burnt toast.

What does that indicate? 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

What does that indicate? 

One of the things some people say they experience as a migraine comes on.

As to Tim, just because everybody's saying "stroke" so far doesn't mean it's a confirmed diagnosis.  Lots of things it could be from the bits I've heard so far, besides stroke: myelitis, myeloma, multiple sclerosis, migraine.  Some of those things can also lead to a stroke in themselves.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @mahonz

What does that indicate? 

Old wive's tale that it's indication of stroke or aneurysm. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Good news.  First, I got a detail of the history wrong.  Tim didn't leave the park in an ambulance.  However, he was persuaded to go to the hospital the next day.

They now think he has (I may be getting the name of this condition wrong) paroxysmal cerebral vasculitis, a comes-and-goes condition similar to migraines but that mimics strokes.  And he has a history of migraines, which is why he didn't go to the hospital immediately on Saturday night.  And there was no bleeding found.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

My Dad had several small strokes over the years in the same general area of the brain. Each one was more difficult to over come and left gaps in certain abilities and really messed with memory.  Those eventually led to vascular Dementia later in life.  The sad part was that the Dementia actually masked the stroke, in a completely different area of his brain, that led to his death.  Had I not been there they would have missed it completely and they would have sent him back to the care facility.  There is a reason Strokes are called Silent Killers. 

Glad your friend will be OK.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Tim was back at practice last night, not his old self (on some drugs that leave him a little cloudy headed) but coming back.  Turned out when I got the story directly from him, it'd been right the first time.  He did have a stroke, and he had never had migraines.  His doctor had been skeptical, but on seeing the MRI had to believe it.  It was not hemorrhage, but a clot.  42 year old Tim had had no known risk factors -- except for being around me, I noted!

ReplyQuote
Share: