Notifications
Clear all

PreSeason Coaching Meeting

Page 1 / 2

coachjb1
(@coachjb1)
Copper
Topic starter  

I need help here guys. I am a new President of the local league. Is there a coaching manual or something that most leagues use to conduct the organizational coaches meeting? I saw something on here or somewhere on the 'net but cannot find it now. Thanks for the help in advance.

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

I need help here guys. I am a new President of the local league. Is there a coaching manual or something that most leagues use to conduct the organizational coaches meeting? I saw something on here or somewhere on the 'net but cannot find it now. Thanks for the help in advance.

Not sure what the president of a league does...

I would think that youd want to emphasize sportsmanship, fun, development of the kids, retention of the athletes, treatment of the athletes and parents, role of the parents, respect toward officials, fair practice policy/safety,  boundaries between coaches and parents and athletes, the league alignment and schedule.

Id encourage the coaches to think "togetherness" and avoid the typical power struggles.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
coachjb1
(@coachjb1)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks Coach. I just needed a refresher here.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

JB,

When you say "president of a local league" are you gathering info regarding a coach's meeting for various associations of a single league or a meeting for a single organization/association?

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
coachjb1
(@coachjb1)
Copper
Topic starter  

Its our teams- 1-2 grade, 3-4 grade, and 5-6 grade. I know the basics but thought there might be a guide or something to that effect on here. I know you do an introduction, concussion awareness, heat safety, and coaching requirements. Thanks guys for any help.

ReplyQuote
coachjb1
(@coachjb1)
Copper
Topic starter  

single organization

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Then I think that organiz'n is not what most people would think of as a sports league.  More commonly it'd be called a club or ass'n.

ReplyQuote
coachjb1
(@coachjb1)
Copper
Topic starter  

Lets just say we are one youth football league in the 8 team youth conference.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Off the top of my head the following are items I would discuss with the coaches.

Concussions, plus make all coaches take a concussion awareness class.
Heat and Hydration awareness
Any new rules or rule changes (e.g. new overtime system)
Do's and Don'ts of the league (penalty for blowouts/excessive scoring, drills that can't be used, "Bull in the Ring" for example, etc)
Dealing with parents and player agents.
Coaching certifications/classes required.
Head coaches (and at least a fellow coach) should be Trained in CPR.

If there is a document out there, let me see if I can round one up.  If not there are some very good threads in the Staff/Admin section on pre-season meetings and such.  I am sure you can find some good info in them.

I would also suggest holding a HC's only meeting to discuss other items. For example:
  Having and Offensive and defensive coordinator
  Game day responsibilities of assistant coaches
  League Rules
  Minimum expectations of each level

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Then I think that organiz'n is not what most people would think of as a sports league.  More commonly it'd be called a club or ass'n.

Bob,

I have coached in both AYF and UYF.  I have only heard PW teams refer to themselves as Associations.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

JB,

Another class or requirement you could look into is the Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA).

I am not sure of the cost, but I had to take it as a coaching requirement and found it to be very good and a enlightening experience.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

John...buddy !

Where you been? What...did you join the Blue Man Group or what?  😛

....sorry to interrupt. Carry on.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Mike,

lol, the new avatar says it all.
Its good to be able to get back on though.  The time away was too long.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Lets just say we are one youth football league in the 8 team youth conference.

Are the teams in your organiz'n to be organized to play games against each other, or against teams from other organiz'ns?  The president's going to have different concerns depending on the answer to that question.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I have coached in both AYF and UYF.  I have only heard PW teams refer to themselves as Associations.

Around here it's common for a club whose teams play outside teams to be called an association.  An association usually has or aspires to several teams, but could be down to or starting up with one.  It was that way with the North Bronx Youth Sports Ass'n, which in the year I coached in it did have 4 teams in an AYF affiliated league (Big Apple Youth Football League), and 2 in another league.  However, the NBYSA had previously been a Pop Warner affiliate for at least a season.  The Gun Hill Youth Sports Ass'n (or maybe it was Gun Hill Youth Sports and Cheer Ass'n) was the club I coached football in the following year.  And it's common for other sports clubs here to be called associations too.  A bit confusing because leagues are also often named associations, so you can't be sure which way an "association" is organized from its name alone.  However, I'm not familiar with team sports organiz'ns named "league" or "conference" as being anything other than organized to have teams play against each other.  So AFAIK:

• league: members against each other
  • conference: members against each other
  • union: members against each other
  • circuit (description, not name): members against each other
  • association: could be members against each other, or against outsiders
  • club: could be members against each other, or against outsiders
  • house ball (description, not name): club is league (choose up sides, play each other)
  • program (usu. description, not name): could be members against each other, or against outsiders, or non-competitive
  • team: against outsiders
  • organization: could be anything

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: