Notifications
Clear all

RESUME/JOB INTERVIEW

Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Samples ATTACHED:

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

Great stuff....

ReplyQuote
JB
 JB
(@_jb_)
Silver

Thanks Coach!  😉

"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Just an FYI - as an HR professional, if I were to get a resume with family and religious affiliation listed, there is a better than good chance it would go right into the garbage.  It is ILLEGAL for those factors to be considered in hiring someone, either as a positive or a negative.  I prevent that from happening by not allowing my hiring managers to see that resume.  If I'm feeling particularly friendly that day, I might "white out" that section of the resume, but you're better off just not including it at all. 

Yes, it's a shame that we have to pander to the lowest common denominator (lawyers), but it's federal law, and not to be taken lightly.  State and Federal EEO agencies are just looking for reasons to jump down employers throats.

On the other hand, your family status and religious affiliation are none of anyone else's business.

ReplyQuote
JB
 JB
(@_jb_)
Silver

Just an FYI - as an HR professional, if I were to get a resume with family and religious affiliation listed, there is a better than good chance it would go right into the garbage.  It is ILLEGAL for those factors to be considered in hiring someone, either as a positive or a negative.  I prevent that from happening by not allowing my hiring managers to see that resume.  If I'm feeling particularly friendly that day, I might "white out" that section of the resume, but you're better off just not including it at all. 

Yes, it's a shame that we have to pander to the lowest common denominator (lawyers), but it's federal law, and not to be taken lightly.  State and Federal EEO agencies are just looking for reasons to jump down employers throats.

On the other hand, your family status and religious affiliation are none of anyone else's business.

Yeah, I hear you.

But if applying at a Catholic HS, and I'm Catholic, kinda makes sense to me. "Yeah I am over at St. Patricks"...that sort of thing.

Also, what if applying as a youth coach at a CYO type league...not that you'd need a resume, but it is helpful.

Agree at a public school/program.

"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Yeah, I hear you.

But if applying at a Catholic HS, and I'm Catholic, kinda makes sense to me. "Yeah I am over at St. Patricks"...that sort of thing.

Also, what if applying as a youth coach at a CYO type league...not that you'd need a resume, but it is helpful.

Agree at a public school/program.

"A" resume is fine.  Referring to your religious affiliation is a no-no.

If you and I apply to that CYO job, and you get it and I don't, and your resume has your religion and mine doesn't, I now have a case for a law suit.  They can't discriminate either.

Catholic school - you list your Catholic Church, I list my Methodist Church, you get the job, I get to sue.  🙂

Doesn't mean I'd win, though...

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Here we see the job descriptions asking for a christian mentor,or a christian professional.

The XXXXXXXXXX in Oviedo is searching for a Christian professional to serve as Head Middle School Football Coach. TMA is a full member of the FHSAA and is currently a football independent program participating in the Sunshine State Athletic Conference. Part time coaches are encouraged to apply. Full time positions may be available

This is an actual listing from the FSHAA website. It isn't the first one I have seen like this. I have also seen such posting for other states. So while I understand & agree that we should leave religion out the resume, why can it be stated in the posting?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Here we see the job descriptions asking for a christian mentor,or a christian professional.

The XXXXXXXXXX in Oviedo is searching for a Christian professional to serve as Head Middle School Football Coach. TMA is a full member of the FHSAA and is currently a football independent program participating in the Sunshine State Athletic Conference. Part time coaches are encouraged to apply. Full time positions may be available

This is an actual listing from the FSHAA website. It isn't the first one I have seen like this. I have also seen such posting for other states. So while I understand & agree that we should leave religion out the resume, why can it be stated in the posting?

Joe

Probably can't, it's just that nobody is willing to sue them.

That said - you CAN "discriminate" under some circumstances if you can show cause.  For instance, you can probably get away with a policy where all overnight counselors for a girl's residential program are female.  It's possible that the mission of a religious org gives them some leeway on hiring to ensure the person advances that mission.  And I do note that "Christian" may be generic enough to fit that.

But there are limits to it.  Just takes someone with a good story to sue. 

Let me also add the caveat that I could be missing something here.  I don't work/have never worked for a religious organization, so maybe there's a section of law protecting them that I'm unaware of.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Just an FYI - as an HR professional, if I were to get a resume with family and religious affiliation listed, there is a better than good chance it would go right into the garbage.  It is ILLEGAL for those factors to be considered in hiring someone, either as a positive or a negative.  I prevent that from happening by not allowing my hiring managers to see that resume. 

So aren't you in fact discriminating against people who have religious affiliations?  If you're throwing resumes away that suggest a person believes in God, you are actually discriminating in my eyes.  Don't get me wrong, I think its stupid to include that info on a resume and has no place on it.  I am actually a free thinker so I am not taking up for the believers, but I think your choices to throw away resumes with that information on it is contradictory to what you are trying to do.  Not to mention, a person's beliefs have nothing to do with their capability to perform a job.  There is often a lot of useless stuff on resumes - such as their name - what does that have to do with their qualifications?  Would you throw away a resume if the person's name was Jesus Christ?  That may imply something as well.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I just find the whole thing very uncomfortable.

There was a small christian school here that demanded the coach be a church member & tithe to the church. The coach had been there for 3 years won his district all 3 years, & did well in the playoffs. When he was fired I was shocked, I ran into him at a clinic & he told the reason I was even more shocked. I remember thinking at the time there had to be more to story. Since it was a sweet job, I knew several guys who applied & a couple that even interviewed. The guys that interviewed told the same story, same %'s on the tithe too. It just didn't sit well with me.

They hired a church member & his whole staff was church members. This made me think it was their agenda all along. They went from 11-1 to 1-9, with a team loaded with talent. This led to a revolt from players & parents, the school was going to lose lots of money, so instead everyone involved got fired. The Headmaster, all the coaches, the AD, & the Pastor. They then brought in a new staff, non church members , won the district last season. The 1-9 HC is now a member of a new church where he also the HC, he did worse this season 0-10. I am sure some of the Florida guys will know exactly who I am talking about. My point is sometimes church politics can have a different agenda.

I have coached at a Catholic HS, they did hire non catholic coaches. I enjoyed my time there as there wasn't a religious agenda. Yes, we attended chapel as a team, & said a Hail Mary after every game. The religion was left to the Priests & Brothers.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Share: