Notifications
Clear all

What advantages does your team have because you are the coach?

chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Also, what facet of the game do you emphasize to give your team the best chance to win?

I think teams with good tacklers on defense and a well coached offensive line are tough to beat.  Also, a well coached passing game can be a great equalizer when you're out manned.  I try to emphasize those three areas every practice.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I was a "fundamentals coach" before I was a "scheme coach."  That's probably why I prefer having players who've never played before.  I could spend hours teaching fundies and enjoy it.  Blocking and tackling are the two most requested fundies that I still hear on Saturdays ("You've got to block!" "Y'all act like you don't want to tackle!)  Our ability to tackle/pursue/hit is probably what got me first noticed as a teacher, but I'm most proud of how well we block.  Of course, learning the ins and outs of the Double Wing for well over a decade has aided us, as well.  Sticking with a particular scheme has allowed us to go deeper into the playbook and find better ways to polish that apple.  I continue to learn about that offense, even though I can't run it at our high school.  We can however, implement certain DW approaches.  That resulted in our RB being named Team Offensive MVP, 1st Team All Conference, Conference Offensive MVP and 2nd Team All State.  As far as which facet I emphasize that gives us the greatest chance to win, it is without a doubt turnovers.  It is the single most important in determining a game's outcome.  Emphasizing turnovers is not about lip-service.  It is about teaching drills and strategies to make that occur.  Or not occur.  Of the 6 players we used as a RB this year (160 total carries), there wasn't a single fumble.  (A 7th RB fumbled on two carries, but he was wearing a cast for a dislocated thumb.)  Regardless, for years we have taught football-protection and football-takeaways and it has ALWAYS reflected in the stats, as well as the won-loss record.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I have a very generous Sponsor and the best Staff in the League...bar none. . 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Experience :

15 years as coach and administrator

Coached ages 7-18

My ability to simply scheme and technique.  I teach the fundamentals of the game (blocking, pursuit, and tackling) the same for a 7yr old as I do a high school senior. 

Last advantage the moms love me 😉

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

It depends on who we're comparing me to. If it's against some of the outstanding coaches out here, I wouldn't have the advantage. At all. Unless being too stubborn to quit counts.

With that said, in my old organization in South Georgia (won't know if I get to coach in North Georgia until 8/9), I felt like I my teams had the advantage for two reasons:

1 - I'm always looking to improve. Many coaches down there are content to say, "This is how we've always done it" and then throw the kids under the bus because "they didn't want it" (rather than making defensive adjustments to the 'Belly' play like the rest of us would have done). I'm different because win or lose, I reflect on how I could do things better, and then make the adjustments. Just like my day job in software, I'm never going to quit looking for ways to refine my craft so that I'm better tomorrow than I was today. (Side note: sorry 33 Stack Attack coaches, questions are coming!)

2 - I'm always positive. My kids always played with their hair on fire because they knew that if they made a mistake, we'd correct it, and then move on from it. As a result, they didn't wilt under pressure or play timidly when the game was on the line. I can think of a couple of games where that was the difference between winning and losing.

Since stressing turnovers was already mentioned, I'll also add stressing the need to be physical on every single play.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

If I'm nothing else, I'm prepared. I know what I want out of an alignment, technique, whatever. I know how to identify a root cause for failure and I know what the fix is.

I'm not sure it matters. I believe I have lost the ability to convince players to do things my/our way. 

Example: hand offs.  We teach a layered hand off. We suck at it. We worked really hard at it all season. I teach them where to put their thumbs, how to "show" their hands to the guy giving them the ball and most importantly I teach them not to look at the ball because that is the #1 reason for a fumbled exchange IMHO. When you look at the ball, you anticipate the hand off and end up knocking the ball out of the QB's hands.  Each day, the first time we try to run a play involving a hand off, we fumble it. Some backs run toward the exchange with their arms layered, only to shift to the "carrying firewood" method at the last second, or put their hands out and try to grab the ball with their hands, or they try the layered hand off, but knock the ball away because they are looking at it. Then we run it over and over until I am able to convince the back to do it my way. Eventually we get it rolling . . . until the next day. If the next day happens to be game day? Well, you can guess how that goes.

When they do it their way and it fails, I even try asking them why they did it that way. The best I ever get is a shrug. Actually, one kid told me Saturday that he "gets worried". I asked if he's "worried" about fumbling and he replied "yes". I asked, "but why aren't you worried about fumbling when you do it "your" way?"  Shrug.

Replace them?  With whom?

Spinning my wheels and really tired of it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Share: