Notifications
Clear all

When are HC hired in your org.

Page 1 / 2

wmoor014
(@wmoor014)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Its July 15th and my org is still having deliberations on who the HC are!!!!! I want to know the timeline for yours orgs on when HC are named and who makes the decision.

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

We only have 4 teams and there isn't alot of turnover. I've never seen them make the decision that a current HC wasn't coming back. They just ask if they are returning. In the event a coach wasn't returning (I've seen it twice now at our youngest level) he (org. President) has someone in mind and fills it pretty early. Still looking for a guy this season though, as the first few guys he asked turned him down either not wanting to coach at all or just not wanting to be a HC. But numbers are so low @ that level (6-7 yr. Old flag) they can't field a team yet. I think they only have 8 registered right now.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

About 3-4 months before the season starts. If not earlier. I think a header needs at least that much time to get prepared unless he has an established program.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Last year they announced at the beginning of June.

Finally after a couple years of people pushing, they announced at the beginning of April this year. I can tell you it made a huge difference in the amount of information I was able to communicate to my assistants. Hopefully it translates into on the field success.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Its July 15th and my org is still having deliberations on who the HC are!!!!! I want to know the timeline for yours orgs on when HC are named and who makes the decision.

If you are hired to be a first grade HC and given a team....you are their HC until that team is done playing 8th grade ball unless you burn out or get fired.

All new teams created each year have a HC in place by May 1 and taht coach stays the HC until his team is done with 8th grade ball. Each Org has its own hiring process. Some use a Committee which I dont like and some use a single Liaison which I do like.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

We have HCs who will be HCs for a long time who unless they stop coaching are intrinched in those spots. On our 8U level they still don't have a HC. Lots of ACs but no header. Frustrates me because that is my son's team. Hopefully they pick someone soon.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

In the Warriors club, which is house ball, staffs aren't announced until about halfway thru player evalu'ns, which means about a week before the draft.  So I don't know who I'll be coaching with yet or what my position is either.  Admin. makes the decision, which means basically one guy with the input of a couple others.  Each HC they choose gets to pick their ACs for the most part, but don't have absolute say.  I think they go mostly by path of least resistance, which means by that logic I'm probably stuck as AC again with the brothers-in-law pair (each with son players) I've been with since 2011 because we've already proven we can get along.  This year admin. didn't even ask which division (class) of tackle we'd prefer to coach in, only whether we wanted to coach tackle or flag.

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

We had all of the head coaches in place in Feb.

ReplyQuote
oaktree
(@oaktree)
Copper

We just decided to add a 4th grade team so I was fortunate enough to get selected as HC.  For the teams we know will exist, we pretty much know in the spring, but if extenuating circumstances arise, it can be pretty late.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I want to know the timeline for yours orgs on when HC are named and who makes the decision.

Willie, we conduct our interviews February to April.  The interviews are conducted and votes tallied by the present head coaches.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I was fortunate enough to get selected as HC.

Congratulations.  How was the process handled?  On what basis were you selected?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I think the answer to this question is going to differ a lot depending on the type of organiz'n you have.  This year we're throwing all the players (except coaches' family) back into the draft pool, so there are really no teams yet, so not surprising there wouldn't be coaching staffs set.  In a club that fields teams to play extramurally, I would think you could, and should, determine coaching staffs well in advance of the season.

ReplyQuote
oaktree
(@oaktree)
Copper

Congratulations.  How was the process handled?  On what basis were you selected?

--Dave

Primarily it was based on experience/being in place already from 2 previous seasons of AC under the other 4th grade coach.  Pretty short interview as I was the only candidate, lol.  I was OC both years and coached D line.  Definitely excited at my first go around.  Probably back to AC next year again as we barely had enough for 2 teams this year and the requirement for 2 teams gets larger as the kids get older.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

I set mine last November- so parents would know what to expect- BUT I only have 3 teams
Back when I had 16 teams in Omaha- SOMETIMES it went down to the last 3-4 weeks
MOST were set in stone the previous year- then the juggling act for the last few

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

You mean all of the former NFL players and college All Americans arent going to be handed jobs?

What kind of a league do you coach in anyhow?

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: