Notifications
Clear all

You have got two questions to ask your Head Coach candidate - what are they?

Page 1 / 5

BlueDemons
(@bluedemons)
Copper
Topic starter  

Participating in a panel to interview HC's for YOUTH football next weekend.  They will ask all the obligatory - dealing with kids, parents etc.

So if you had just two questions to ask of your own, what would they be?  Please explain what you would be looking to get out of the answer if it's not straight forward.

I am thinking one question may be - after the guy covers all the positive environment and player experience - Tell me how you are going to develop players and how you are going to win games?  Yeah, that's 2 questions but I am only counting it as one.

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Participating in a panel to interview HC's for YOUTH football next weekend.  They will ask all the obligatory - dealing with kids, parents etc.

So if you had just two questions to ask of your own, what would they be?  Please explain what you would be looking to get out of the answer if it's not straight forward.

I am thinking one question may be - after the guy covers all the positive environment and player experience - Tell me how you are going to develop players and how you are going to win games?  Yeah, that's 2 questions but I am only counting it as one.

ask him what he sees two years from now?
Why? see if he has put any thought into it. Or if he is doing this on a whim....
See if he is thinking long term.
Ask him how he plans to grow support from parents?
Not the same thing as getting along with parents. Inevidably, he will need things, the org or league cant give him....but the parents can.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
BlueDemons
(@bluedemons)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks - looking for more,

Any issues with asking how he is going to win games?  At that point he will already know he is responsible for providing a positive experience for his players.  And at that point, I think player development and winning games are fair game.

Maybe it should be "put your players in the best position to win games?"

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

Any issues with asking how he is going to win games?  At that point he will already know he is responsible for providing a positive experience for his players.  And at that point, I think player development and winning games are fair game.

I'd ask things along the lines of how do you plan on implementing and sustaining a championship culture/mentallity ? Winning games is nice, but I want to win championships. Not only that but I want my entire team to know the goal is to win a championship....how do you plan on installing that from day one and keeping it going throughout the season ?

Do you have an academic rewards/accountability program in mind. Why or why not and would you install one if that's what the league/team coordinator or whatever you call your head person wants ? I think this goes hand to hand with question #1. We strive to be champions on the field and off.

How do you structure your practices.....are they organized ?

If you ask me how I plan on winning games I'd tell you the plan is to score more than the other team.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

if he has a big picture, the x's and o's are probably their...but him on a black or white board? have him teach you something he is going to teach the kids, challenge him, challenge his teaching....have him teach the tackling method he plans to use with his age group?

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

If I was a parent and asked why should I let my son play football? How would you respond?
What do you do after the football season is over?

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
CRM1241
(@crm1241)
Copper

Our coaches need to have at least one season as an assistant before they can be considered for a head coaching slot, so I have some background on their team from the previous year. I ask them to give me one thing that went well the prior season that they will continue to do, and one thing that didn't go well, and how they plan on improving it. I ask those questions as a combination, and use the answers to gauge what their focus is. The responses range from position assignments, scheme, practice planning, parental dealings, and other things. If we have multiple candidates it helps us find guys who see the bigger picture vs the guys who might have too narrow of a focus.

I also ask them to give me an example of a specific kid who struggled early but improved over the course of the season. There is generally a kid you can point to as an example, so if I get a generic response that "they all improved" I worry a bit. Since those kids are usually at the bottom of the roster, it means they weren't focusing on them, or didn't spend enough time with those kids to develop a relationship that made them stick out.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

I believe that the most important attributes for a coach to have is to want to constantly improve and to have a good attitude.

So the two questions I'd ask him:

1) "How do you run your kick off?"

2) Regardless of what he says, I'm going to ask him, "Why do you do that?" in a really condescending aggressive tone.

What I'd like in the first answer is for him to tell me that he does an onside kick. That tells me that he's put enough thought into the youth element of the game. The second one shows me how he performs under pressure and in the face of adverse parent opinions.

Anyone can learn the stupid catch phrases and bullshit. "It's for the kids!" "I'm going to teach them the fundamentals!" "Blah blah blah"

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

1) football is a rough game- Can you tell us what you do to make the game safer for the kids?

2) on that note, parents are often the reason good coaches leave the game- how do you handle parents that get overzealous, irrational and generally have unrealistic expectations.?

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

If was only two and you want a sense of what kind of teacher and manager the guy will be I would go with:

1 - Please explain your methods for planning practices.

2 - How do you teach tackling?

I think those two questions roll up a whole bunch of common issues I see from poorly coached teams. Stuff like, does he have a good grasp of how he would like to set up benchmarks along the way to a bigger, tougher to manage goal like creating a winning culture. The tackling question tests whether he has thought about the most efficient and safest way to teach a fundamental skill.

If the guy gives long winded meandering answers, you'll know he hasn't thought about what it takes to be  HC enough. He should be able to teach the cheer mom sitting next to you (who has no football experience) how to TEACH tackling in a few minutes. Now you can give him a clear and concise reason why he did not get the job.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Only 2 Questions?

Well he has to coach the coaches- that means in non-select youth football, you have a huge variety, He has to know the whole game, coach the whole team if others are gone

Why do you coach?
As he gets into his answer I will dig deeper off that same question, when you played, what did you most get out of the game, stuff like that.
Ive interviewed over 1,000 people in business and probably over 200 youth coaches- I can spot a BSer

What is your experience coaching, offense, defense, special teams, position groups

For a 3rd/4th  question- what do you do for a living/how many people do you manage?

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

Why do yoo coach?

And where do you expect the team and the kids you coach to be when they enter 9th grade?

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

1) What do you want your worst player's memories to be?  And how will you accomplish that?
2) If you find your team needs to improve, what would your plan be to make them get better?

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

What did you do to prepare yourself for this opprotunity?

How would you handle a losing season, because anyone can handle a winning season?

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Any issues with asking how he is going to win games? 

I don't understand the question.  In fact, if I was applying for the HC position and someone asked me that question, that would be my reply because it's vague question and invites an equally vague reply like "By scoring more points than the other team".

At that point he will already know he is responsible for providing a positive experience for his players.  And at that point, I think player development and winning games are fair game.

You're actually not supposed to ask these kinds of questions.  Half the coaches in your league will have 50-50 seasons or worse.  You could put this question to every HC in your league and, no matter what their answer, half will still have 50-50 seasons or worse. So it's a useless question unless you plan to fire any HC that doesn't finish above .500 and, in which you'll fire half of them every year.

Look for somebody who builds.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: