Notifications

ACL Repair  

RSS

coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
January 20, 2020 9:56 am  

I was just wondering what the normal recovery time for ACL surgery is these days.  I tore mine 20-some years ago and it was about a 9 month process.  

My daughter just tore hers in basketball about 8-9 days ago and we will be having the surgery scheduled today.  She is a sophomore, starter on varsity basketball and volleyball.  Volleyball is her primary concern.  5'10" middle blocker with an "approach vertical" of 9'8".  

I've heard various results over the past week, ranging from 5 or 6 months to something closer to 10 months.  Our Dr. says she should be back to full strength by August for the school volleyball season.

Topic Tags
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 30, 2020 1:41 pm  
Posted by: @coachmiket

I was just wondering what the normal recovery time for ACL surgery is these days.  I tore mine 20-some years ago and it was about a 9 month process.  

My daughter just tore hers in basketball about 8-9 days ago and we will be having the surgery scheduled today.  She is a sophomore, starter on varsity basketball and volleyball.  Volleyball is her primary concern.  5'10" middle blocker with an "approach vertical" of 9'8".  

I've heard various results over the past week, ranging from 5 or 6 months to something closer to 10 months.  Our Dr. says she should be back to full strength by August for the school volleyball season.

Severity of the tear has a lot to do with  recovery time (duh). 

Acl reconstruction return to sport is 3-6 months depending on severity tear and the reattachment method. 

Don't force your kid back. Don't think a  brace will protect it especially if it's too soon from surgery.

Rehab and light activity in moderation until evaluated by the ortho

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by ZACH

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Wing-n-It liked
ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
January 31, 2020 9:46 am  
Posted by: @bucksweep58
Posted by: @coachmiket

Severity of the tear has a lot to do with  recovery time (duh). 

Acl reconstruction return to sport is 3-6 months depending on severity tear and the reattachment method. 

Don't force your kid back. Don't think a  brace will protect it especially if it's too soon from surgery.

Rehab and light activity in moderation until evaluated by the ortho

Thanks.  She is going for surgery Monday.

Turns out that it was torn at the femoral attachment.  Not sure if it is shredded or came clean off, so they will determine course of action (reattachment vs reconstruction) once they go in. But they were thinking they would be using the hamstring.  Also has some MCL damage and a couple other things going on in there so we are definitely not going to rush it.

She is anxious to begin the road to recovery so we'll have to monitor her and make sure she doesn't push her limits too far too soon.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 31, 2020 9:57 am  

We had a player (8th Grader) with a a complete blow out of the knee several years back.  Had initial surgery to re-attach everything and then additional surgery 10 months later to "Clean" up the scar tissue they knew would arise.  Total heal time 1.5 years.  Was playing Basketball on the High School team his Sophomore year.   Patience Patience Patience!!  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 31, 2020 10:07 am  

Patience is huge. Rehab and strengthening.  

When I get athletes that wear a donjoy into the work out I ask them to take it off and do the workout. If they say they can't, they're not ready.  

Moral of the story, take your time and use your head. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Share: