Freshman  

RSS

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 12, 2020 11:51 am  

Freshman are starting our s&c program next week. 

Meeting was yesterday, went over conduct, expectation, and of course the covid protocols.

The meat and potatoes are the pre requesisits to be able to actually lift weights are these body weight tests and wendlers dumbbell squat test. (50 dumbbell goblet squats with 100lb dumbbell). 

The pre reqs

Technique

-demonstrate perfect squat, bench press, and power clean form using broom sticks

Body weight tests

- 50 dips chest to cross bar (2 min time limit)

- 10 chins (1 minute)

The freshman will work out together separate from the team until seasons end in the next few weeks. Goal is to integrate them I'm the weight room by Jan off season start.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Seth54 liked
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
November 14, 2020 6:55 pm  

Zach, have you posted a template of the program you use with your players? I'm familiar with Wendler and have read 2 of the 5/3/1 books, so if its similar to that feel free to point me in that direction. Thanks

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 15, 2020 12:40 am  
Posted by: @seth54

Zach, have you posted a template of the program you use with your players? I'm familiar with Wendler and have read 2 of the 5/3/1 books, so if its similar to that feel free to point me in that direction. Thanks

I've learned a lot from wendler and his articles and feedback on high school strength coaching.  If we had the amount of equipment needed we would do krypteia also, but we don't.  We are following something similiar to the starting strength model. 

Squat 3x5

Bench press 3x5

Power clean. 3x5

If time allows dips (50) and chins(25)

This model has really helped us stay consistent and with less questions from the kids.  We have 5 power racks, barbells, and plates . We have no access to dumbells. 

If you do I would run krypteia with his 3x5 protocol. Worked well for us, we made a lot of progress across the board 

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 18, 2020 3:50 pm  

Had 3 freshman try the 50 rep dumbells squat. Best attempt made it to 40 reps.  

I told them all to just do the bodyweight work for a couple weeks and try it out after Thanksgiving break.  Nope, testosterone kicked in, now they won't be able to walk for a couple days . Lesson learned, take my advice 😉

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Share: