Notifications
Clear all

Freshman  

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Freshman are starting our s&c program next week. 

Meeting was yesterday, went over conduct, expectation, and of course the covid protocols.

The meat and potatoes are the pre requesisits to be able to actually lift weights are these body weight tests and wendlers dumbbell squat test. (50 dumbbell goblet squats with 100lb dumbbell). 

The pre reqs

Technique

-demonstrate perfect squat, bench press, and power clean form using broom sticks

Body weight tests

- 50 dips chest to cross bar (2 min time limit)

- 10 chins (1 minute)

The freshman will work out together separate from the team until seasons end in the next few weeks. Goal is to integrate them I'm the weight room by Jan off season start.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Seth54 liked
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

Zach, have you posted a template of the program you use with your players? I'm familiar with Wendler and have read 2 of the 5/3/1 books, so if its similar to that feel free to point me in that direction. Thanks

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seth54

Zach, have you posted a template of the program you use with your players? I'm familiar with Wendler and have read 2 of the 5/3/1 books, so if its similar to that feel free to point me in that direction. Thanks

I've learned a lot from wendler and his articles and feedback on high school strength coaching.  If we had the amount of equipment needed we would do krypteia also, but we don't.  We are following something similiar to the starting strength model. 

Squat 3x5

Bench press 3x5

Power clean. 3x5

If time allows dips (50) and chins(25)

This model has really helped us stay consistent and with less questions from the kids.  We have 5 power racks, barbells, and plates . We have no access to dumbells. 

If you do I would run krypteia with his 3x5 protocol. Worked well for us, we made a lot of progress across the board 

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Had 3 freshman try the 50 rep dumbells squat. Best attempt made it to 40 reps.  

I told them all to just do the bodyweight work for a couple weeks and try it out after Thanksgiving break.  Nope, testosterone kicked in, now they won't be able to walk for a couple days . Lesson learned, take my advice 😉

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Of 34 freshman I think, we have 20 who passed the dumbell squat test.  The other 14 it will be a while they are physically not mature enough at this time.  

When we get back from Xmas break the 20 or so who passed will enter the off season groups with the remainder of the team. The remaining will be with their own group until they graduate out of the basics. 

Very happy this far, hoping momentum goes forward and we stay in school to keep these workouts alive. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

As of this afternoon everyone has passed their pre requisite strength requirements.  Making some gradual progress as most beginners do. Bright spot is we have a freshman think he's 5'8 maybe 180 lbs wants to play linebacker anyway he's squatting 240+ for sets of 5 he's also the first one to complete the 50 rep dumbell squat in his class. 

Hopefully schools stay open and we can continue working with these kids. Training is masks sucks but definitely beats the alternative. 

I also started taking some one of clients at my private gym for a lil extra $ and exposure.  So hopefully I'll have more stuff to share. 

Be well everyone!

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

@bucksweep58

Have you ever had to pull back on a kid because he’s so eager? My neighbor asked me to help get his 14 son started with weight training, and he’s so eager I feel like I’m constantly telling him to train smart and that more isn’t better. I was probably the same way as a kid, just trying to think of a way to make him understand this will be better in the long run. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Have you ever had to pull back on a kid because he’s so eager?

It's very common.  Primarily because they think their improvement will be visible overnight.  Education is the key.  "This is a marathon, not a sprint." They also have to be educated on rest and proper diet.  Many believe they can work out, then stay up all night playing video games and then drink 3 protein shakes and all will be good.  Their kidneys will not tolerate an overload of protein.  They think "resting" is sitting on the sofa while they text or play games.  They don't understand "rest" is a full body shutdown (i.e., sleep).  Many things to educate them about.  But just like football, they have to be taught.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

@bucksweep58

Have you ever had to pull back on a kid because he’s so eager? My neighbor asked me to help get his 14 son started with weight training, and he’s so eager I feel like I’m constantly telling him to train smart and that more isn’t better. I was probably the same way as a kid, just trying to think of a way to make him understand this will be better in the long run. 

We progress daily, so we quench that thirst for more partially.  Yes I deal with this daily, I'll make them show me how strong they are in a way that fits my agenda. We want to get stronger not test our strength.

Ex we had a kid who was bench pressing 135 for his sets of 5. So we add 5lbs every successful work out.  He said it's too easy. So I said if he finishes the week I'll let him go up 10lbs each workout the next week.  By the third day of adding 10lb each session he realised he should slow down and he did.  He's still making progress and facing more of a challenge than before, we both win.

Challenge him with perfect form and parameters of each lift before adding weight. We will never max these lifts, there's no need to so I eliminated that dream on day 1. You wanna be a powerlifter come see me and I'll put you in a meet.  Even then you won't do a heavy single until meet day anyway Soo just enjoy getting stronger.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Share: