Notifications

Made a change after a decade  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
June 28, 2019 10:58 am  

Powerlifting team ...not the same as a football team where the MAJORITY of kids want nothing to do with weights.
Guys signed up to lift in the powerlifting team I assume.

Powerlifting, football doesn't matter. It's the concept.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 28, 2019 11:05 am  

Powerlifting, football doesn't matter. It's the concept.

Ok, so you don’t like it. Got it. I love it. A kid gets a leg set , a push, a pull....and repeats ...the total volume and intensity aside, it’s a positive in that he’s there and I can work with him and he’s not just doing benches and curls at his local gym. By the end of a half hour he’s stimulated gains in his whole body.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 28, 2019 11:15 am  

That was pretty much what I had at the school where I ran the powerlifting team. Where I'm at now, is even smaller, but still 2 benches, a couple of squat racks. I always broke the kids into groups.

Workout A: Squat, close-grip bench, speed pulls, GHRs/abs
Workout B: Bench, tris, lats, db press, curls
Workout C: Deadlift, speed bench, unilateral leg work, GHRs/abs

But, I actually had 5 groups of 4-5 kids. So in a 3 day a week training schedule groups 1 & 2 did A,B,C; Groups 3 & 4 did B,C,A; and group 5 did C,A,B. Not only that, I personally made percentage based programs on spread sheets for each kid. Each kid knew exactly what they were going to do for each set on their main lifts from their warmup weights on through their working sets. There was no guess work.

Here the flaws with your set up....each mainlift has its own day...what happens to jimmy who only makes it on bench day? Or Timmy who only makes it on squat day?...with these guys, the need the full body stuff on the same day. I like a bit of variety for athletes, they aren’t powerlifting...they are football players....most training these days goes well beyond bench, squat, deadlift for football THOUGH WE TEST Them in the big three if they have trained for it. I like at least three upper body pushes, three pulls and at least two lower body compounds in addition to deadlifts. I’d squat, front squats or even leg presses or lunges. The variety is good .

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
June 28, 2019 11:32 am  

We split our team into two groups everyday....one group on the field for an hour the other group in the weight room. Each group has 25-35 guys depending on attendance that day. I have one group by myself and another coach has the other group by himself...freshman through seniors.

We are typically in pods of 3-4 guys depending on the lift. We pair the main barbell movement with the assistance/core work for that day. Everybody is working at the same time...nobody is standing around. We move quickly but we're not in a hurry.

Main lift....squat, bench, whatever it is.... would be paired with 2 assistance movements and 1 "core movement.... so all 4 guys are working together in a rotation. It's pretty damn efficient. We get warmed up and worked out in 55 minutes.

It takes us about 4-6 workouts to get good but because we don't change the assistance work or main lifts they get good at those things and they can transition quickly.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
June 28, 2019 11:35 am  

Here the flaws with your set up....each mainlift has its own day...what happens to jimmy who only makes it on bench day? Or Timmy who only makes it on squat day?...with these guys, the need the full body stuff on the same day. I like a bit of variety for athletes, they aren’t powerlifting...they are football players....most training these days goes well beyond bench, squat, deadlift for football THOUGH WE TEST Them in the big three if they have trained for it. I like at least three upper body pushes, three pulls and at least two lower body compounds in addition to deadlifts. I’d squat, front squats or even leg presses or lunges. The variety is good .

I would build the program for the guys that DO show up consistently rather than those that don't. The guys that are irregular aren't going to get strong regardless of what you do. The guys that do show consistently should get the best programming possible.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 28, 2019 11:51 am  

I would build the program for the guys that DO show up consistently rather than those that don't. The guys that are irregular aren't going to get strong regardless of what you do. The guys that do show consistently should get the best programming possible.

We need the irregular guys too...we need to maximize their results too. If a kid can only make 1-2  sessions a week, I want him hitting pushes, pulls, squats.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
June 28, 2019 12:49 pm  

I think if you were to examine most S&C programs, you would probably find that they are either broken up as upper/lower body splits or max effort/dynamic effort. But most of all, you will find that they focus on one main lift per workout. So, I hardly consider my program flawed at all. And there's always flexibility. If a kid misses Bench day, I just tell him to bench with the bench group that day instead of the deadlift group.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
June 28, 2019 1:00 pm  

We need the irregular guys too...we need to maximize their results too. If a kid can only make 1-2  sessions a week, I want him hitting pushes, pulls, squats.

If that's the concern, you can just use the old Bill Starr template. Just clean, bench, and squat 3 days a week. One lift is heavy, the other is medium, and the other is light. Better yet, Joe Kenn's Tier System is one I really like and actually I model a lot of my programs after his system. But as Seabass pointed out, I'm not going to change my program to suit the 2 or 3 that don't come consistently.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 28, 2019 2:00 pm  

If that's the concern, you can just use the old Bill Starr template. Just clean, bench, and squat 3 days a week. One lift is heavy, the other is medium, and the other is light. Better yet, Joe Kenn's Tier System is one I really like and actually I model a lot of my programs after his system. But as Seabass pointed out, I'm not going to change my program to suit the 2 or 3 that don't come consistently.

Just clean , bench and squat....sounds full bodyish

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 28, 2019 2:11 pm  

I think if you were to examine most S&C programs, you would probably find that they are either broken up as upper/lower body splits or max effort/dynamic effort. But most of all, you will find that they focus on one main lift per workout. So, I hardly consider my program flawed at all. And there's always flexibility. If a kid misses Bench day, I just tell him to bench with the bench group that day instead of the deadlift group.

Understand that we have made the switch from an upper lower split to a full body. So, instead of 100 workouts, there are fifty. Simple math tells you that the kids are going to get more sets of bench, squat and deadlift and other leg, push and pull movements if they made the same number of sessions. For example a kid makes 25 workouts (25% attendance in an upper lower model) but now he’s at 50 % in the full body model, now more opportunity for me to work with him on push, pull, squat.  It’s easy on parents too, commit twice a week vs four times a week....I’ll say that mensing coming off another state title from a similar sized school talked me into it....I hated it during the school year, but so far this summer I think it’s awesome. I have a newbie, he’s shown up twice...and he now has already had two squat sessions and two dead sessions....it might have taken weeks to get two sessions with him on those lifts. I like it a lot.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
June 28, 2019 4:21 pm  

Just clean , bench and squat....sounds full bodyish

My point exactly. But, the intensities are varied. You're still going max effort on just one lift per workout. I purchased Bill Starr's book, "The Strongest Shall Survive: Strength Training For Football", when it came out in 1976. Of all the strength related books I purchased back then, which included Paul Anderson, Anthony Ditillo, and others, that and Bob People's book on "Developing Physical Strength", are the only two books purchased at that time that I have kept all these years. I have always believed that the simpler you can make things, the more effective they are. I tend to think that, like everything else, the more we keep adding, the more complicated we make things, and the less effective they are. Strength isn't as complicated as we tend to want to make it. Just lift heavy stuff. Add in some speed and power work and you pretty much have a good and effective training program.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
August 2, 2019 1:09 pm  

Very happy with this summers gains. Kids have bought into this way of training and are making nice gains.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
August 16, 2019 1:37 pm  

We had some great pulls this week. Kid pulled 405x5, 445x3, 455x1  He should break the record sometime this season. Needs 510.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 16, 2019 1:39 pm  

We had some great pulls this week. Kid pulled 405x5, 445x3, 455x1  He should break the record sometime this season. Needs 510.

Those numbers are ridiculous.  What are you feeding them?  I can't get my guys to eat.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 16, 2019 5:51 pm  

Very happy with this summers gains. Kids have bought into this way of training and are making nice gains.

Glad it's worked so well for you, coach.  Did you do Mon./Thurs. through the summer with the mini-circuit supersets you posted earlier in this thread?

Good luck to you all this year!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: