Notifications
Clear all

Minimalist dynamic warm up

Page 1 / 2

Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
Topic starter  

My question is what do you guys who use dynamic warm ups consider must haves? 

If you had 10 minutes or less to warm up or could only do a certain number of stretches, no fluff, no extras, what would you choose and why?

dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze

High Knees, butt kickers, bear crawls with fumble recovery at the end of crawl.

All from stance.

Practice No-Play three or four times.

Total time 4 minutes.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

A warm-up with no fluff is an oxymoron.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

We do a jog and a 4-cone drill.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Jogging for 20 yards down and back followed by 10-20 pushups.  Then maybe an agility drill or two--either 4 cones or maybe just dot drills.  5 minutes of that is usually plenty sufficient.

Then into position groups and do your non-contact football drills first as the remainder of your dynamic warmup for 5-10 minutes.  Stance and start, punching a sled, settle and noose, pat 'n go, backpedal drills, etc. all serve the same purpose and actually teach football skills, too.  The old Wing-T "shoulder skills" period is another example of football related dynamic warmup you can do.

Then I personally like 5 minutes of whole team board drills or Oklahoma to get the testosterone flowing and "teach physicality."  It's a good tone setter for practice.

I once coached under a guy who would spend the first 20-30 minutes of every practice on warmup doing butt kicks, karaoke, bear crawls, icky shuffles, frankensteins, etc, then do conditioning for 10 minutes, then take a 5 minute water break and break into Indy and do bag and rope drills with the position coaches on top of that for about another 15.  It was a huge waste of time since we were spending about 40% of our practice time on things that had NOTHING to do with teaching football skills.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Each takes about 10 min tops

We warm up in a form tackle drill one day
Bird dog +12 perfect blocks another

Or we do active prepare which is what i think you are looking for...10 yds each 2x
- jog out
- high knees
- butt kicks
- High knee holds
- but kick holds
- lunges forward
- side lunges
- sprint

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coach Davs
(@coach-chris)
Bronze

We do not do a traditional warm up anymore. Tim Murphy uses drill work as a warm up, and we stole it. We take 15 minutes using 5 stations. We start at 50% and ramp up over the time. Different things we do: block progression, ball security, ball rip, scoop and score, high ball, and a few other drills. Very efficient with time.

Christopher Davenport
Strength Coach & OC Whiting High School
Northlake Pop Warner Football Commissioner
Offense=Murphy Shotgun Wing
Defense=3-4

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
Topic starter  

A warm-up with no fluff is an oxymoron.

This statement and some of the responses really make me think that the days of cariocas, high knees, and butt kickers are numbered. 

More football specific drill and movements might be the way to go. 

It's an interesting idea especially considering that I just left the dark ages of static stretching behind.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

95% football stuff
Combine FOOTBALL stuff with warm up

5 Jumping Jacks- just to let everyone know we are starting
Stance- Cadence- ball get offs- form running- AKA High Knees
Stance- Cadence- ball get offs- form running- AKA Butt Kickers
Angle Form Fit tackling in groups of 5 to 1 coach

We started doing this exclusively in 2002 and people thought we were crazy
Takes 6 minutes

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We do jumping jacks to get in unison in our lines and to have everyone hollering together.  We sprint, backwards sprint, carioca and side shuffle (Battle Buddies).  We sprint forwards and backwards to emphasize form running (ear to pocket).  We use 4 warmups to experience our MF cadence drill. We use Battle Buddies to develop aggression during warmups.  This period takes 12-15 minutes, depending on how much our MF drill sets us back.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
JimGrynd
(@jimgrynd)
Lurker

2min jog in place
Lunges
Power Skips
Lateral Squats into shuffles
Carioca
High Knees
Backpedal
Fire out Sprint
20x Pushups and 20x Flutterkicks

It takes about 10-15 minutes.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

One lap 2x2 together then everyone gets finger tip to finger tip in stance on cadence to sprint up back, high kness, butt kicks, shuffle, back pedal ,bear crawl ,duck walk, lunge then shrink line into 6 groups of 5 to drive block on shields from 5 yds out weld drill , swervr drill then condense those 6 to to work double teams on shield we do this every day and  done by 615 . These are our dynamic warm up's on defensive day same 1st part then form tackling on lev sled...

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

2min jog in place
Lunges
Power Skips
Lateral Squats into shuffles
Carioca
High Knees
Backpedal
Fire out Sprint
20x Pushups and 20x Flutterkicks

It takes about 10-15 minutes.

Maybe someone should start a Maximalist Dynamic Warm-up thread.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze

Helping with 8u right now. We generally stretch and warm up for 25 minutes every practice and I cringe through about the last 20 minutes of it. For me, run a lap, high knees, butt kickers, lateral run, and move on.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
Topic starter  

When I started this thread, we were at 15 minutes and I thought that was excessive.  25 minutes?  I'd cringe to.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: