Clear all

Off season workouts for kids and coaches

Page 1 / 5

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

This time of year I get the most business from youth football parents.  "What can my kid do to get in shape for football?" .  Well how about just play?  But that doesn't help them right bc it's too simple.  Here are a few things you can do with your kid or if youre a coach and wanna get into some easy shape before camp. No equipment necessary. 

10, 100s 4x a week.  These don't have to be Sprints but they can't be jogs 😉 .  Maybe after a month try and do 2 as a sprint at any part of your workout.  Then another 2 after 8 weeks.  

Murph: everyone knows the Murph right ?!  But let's be honest youre not close to being in shape sooo we will do this: 

Run 400 m (1lap)

50 push ups 

75 air squats 

Run 400 m (1 lap) 

Do daily or minimum 4x a week until you can do all of this with out stopping.  Once you can do this In 1 go no breaks. 

Run 2 laps 

100 push ups 

150 air squats 

Run 2 laps 

3 laps 

150 push up 

225 air squat 

3 laps 

Mile 

200 push up 

300 air squat 

Mile

Again this is for youth kids, but why can't you the coach get a little better conditioning? so I dunno you don't look or sound like a hypocrite while talking about discipline...

Don't be the fat coach pushing the kids to run faster and harder while you can't breathe normal walking to the snack bar 😉

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

dfwcanes liked
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

Don't be the fat coach pushing the kids to run faster and harder while you can breathe normal walking to the snack bar 😉

Challenge accepted 😄. I dont know why I don't participate in conditioning. I could definitely use it 🤣.

Is it that I know I cant keep up with these young guys and that might hurt my ego? This is something that I definitely need to get over. 

Im gonna start tomorrow with my guys. Ill let you guys know how it goes. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @g8trs

Don't be the fat coach pushing the kids to run faster and harder while you can breathe normal walking to the snack bar 😉

Challenge accepted 😄. I dont know why I don't participate in conditioning. I could definitely use it 🤣.

Is it that I know I cant keep up with these young guys and that might hurt my ego? This is something that I definitely need to get over. 

Im gonna start tomorrow with my guys. Ill let you guys know how it goes. 

If anything this will teach you how to progress your conditioning and not go Navy Seals on kids the first day. Def keep us posted.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

How much rest between 100's?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

How much rest between 100's?

No requirements just get it done. Try and beat your time completing the 10 each workout. Log it. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Week 1, Day 1. Monday

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 16:37

Sprints: 0

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Week 1, Day 1. Monday

10x100(ish) yards

My man! How you feeling?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @bucksweep58

Week 1, Day 1. Monday

10x100(ish) yards

My man! How you feeling?

Surprisingly good. Let me get back to you tomorrow. If I can get through this week, I think I'll be fine. Plan is M, T, Th, Fr

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Find other sports that have seasons. You benefit each other. They keep your kids in shape. And you have a recruiting pool.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Week 1, Day 1. Monday

10x100(ish) yards

Week 1, Day 2. Tuesday

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 16:19

Very sore leaving the house. Took 2 aspirin and 2 Tylenol. About a 1/4 mile walk to the elementary school. By the time I got there, the soreness/stiffness was minimal. A little soreness in my left quad on the first 100. Soreness gone after that. Back was tight, though. 97 degrees according to the neighborhood weather station.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Week 1, Day 1. Monday

10x100(ish) yards

Week 1, Day 2. Tuesday

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 16:19

Very sore leaving the house. Took 2 aspirin and 2 Tylenol. About a 1/4 mile walk to the elementary school. By the time I got there, the soreness/stiffness was minimal. A little soreness in my left quad on the first 100. Soreness gone after that. Back was tight, though. 97 degrees according to the neighborhood weather station.

Advice : cut the aspirin/Tylenol, add "agile 8".  Use agile 8 as a warm up for the run and add it to another part of your day.  Increase your sodium also.  Blood volume and electrolytes are critical to recovery between sessions. Take 10-20 minutes and stretch after your run and through out the day.  Stretching will allow more blood and better circulation to your inflamed areas.  Inflammation isn't terrible, remember movement is lubricant.

Regardless if you do the above or not your body will adapt in about 10 days maybe 14.  Be consistent. 

Keep us posted

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Advice : cut the aspirin/Tylenol, add "agile 8".  Use agile 8 as a warm up for the run and add it to another part of your day.  Increase your sodium also.  Blood volume and electrolytes are critical to recovery between sessions. Take 10-20 minutes and stretch after your run and through out the day.  Stretching will allow more blood and better circulation to your inflamed areas.  Inflammation isn't terrible, remember movement is lubricant.

Regardless if you do the above or not your body will adapt in about 10 days maybe 14.  Be consistent. 

Keep us posted

That was very painful, so thanks for that.

Actually, the foam roller stuff really made my legs feel better. , Got a really bad abdominal cramp trying to do the V-sit rollovers. 5 minutes for the cramp to quit. Switched to the hip rotators and the cramp came back. Another 5 minutes for the cramp to go away. Switched to the groiners. Cramp came back again, so I called it a session. I've ignored my core for a very long time, so I need to get my core back in shape.   

Suggestions?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Keep us posted

That was very painful, so thanks for that.

Actually, the foam roller stuff really made my legs feel better. , Got a really bad abdominal cramp trying to do the V-sit rollovers. 5 minutes for the cramp to quit. Switched to the hip rotators and the cramp came back. Another 5 minutes for the cramp to go away. Switched to the groiners. Cramp came back again, so I called it a session. I've ignored my core for a very long time, so I need to get my core back in shape.   

Suggestions?

Agile 8, 2x a day 

McGill big 3 https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/21/the-mcgill-big-3-for-core-stability/  

Just focus on getting into a good position with these 3 movements don't force anything.  I legit would like you to try and do 1 perfect reps of each of the 3 and call it.  Then as you get more comfortable just do a little more. 

Rule of thumb with all my guys of you can do 10 and reach failure do half of that and enjoy your life.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Started the Big 3. Got through the agile 8 today with no cramps. 

Week 1, Day 3. Thursday 

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 14:50

Started out sore, but in different places. Able to run with shorter recovery time. Much cooler today, too.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Started the Big 3. Got through the agile 8 today with no cramps. 

Week 1, Day 3. Thursday 

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 14:50

Started out sore, but in different places. Able to run with shorter recovery time. Much cooler today, too.

Sounds like you're on your way.  This time next week will be the best way for you to see and feel your progression.

We just started these with the high school kids.  All the underclassmen who don't know me tried to impress me.  Well they'll be sore tomorrow and hopefully learn that when I say don't feel like you need to Sprint these that means don't haha. 

Everyone finished and no one threw up or felt it was too demanding so I was very happy about that.

Big thing I preach is save the intensity for game day.  In training we want to train optimally.  There's a science behind the adrenal that I won't bore you with but something to consider going into camp.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: