Notifications
Clear all

Off season workouts for kids and coaches

Page 2 / 5

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bucksweep58

There's a science behind the adrenal that I won't bore you with but something to consider going into camp.

Then bore me with it.  I'm all ears.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

There's a science behind the adrenal that I won't bore you with but something to consider going into camp.

Then bore me with it.  I'm all ears.

--Dave

Here's one abstract : https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/expert-answers/adrenal-fatigue/faq-20057906  

"The unproven theory behind adrenal fatigue is that your adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of perpetual fight-or-flight arousal. " 

My introduction to this idea was at a SWIS clinic.  The doctor stated that getting overlyb"hyped" in performing heavy lifts over time will decrease the sensitivity of the adrenals and the amount of output.

Athletes in sports more so bc the adrenals also function with prolonged physical stress.  

Adrenal fatigue is like drinking coffee and falling asleep anyway.  The over stimulus over time ruined it for when you needed it most.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

This time of year I get the most business from youth football parents.  "What can my kid do to get in shape for football?" .  Well how about just play?  But that doesn't help them right bc it's too simple.  Here are a few things you can do with your kid or if youre a coach and wanna get into some easy shape before camp. No equipment necessary. 

10, 100s 4x a week.  These don't have to be Sprints but they can't be jogs 😉 .  Maybe after a month try and do 2 as a sprint at any part of your workout.  Then another 2 after 8 weeks.  

Murph: everyone knows the Murph right ?!  But let's be honest youre not close to being in shape sooo we will do this: 

Run 400 m (1lap)

50 push ups 

75 air squats 

Run 400 m (1 lap) 

Do daily or minimum 4x a week until you can do all of this with out stopping.  Once you can do this In 1 go no breaks. 

Run 2 laps 

100 push ups 

150 air squats 

Run 2 laps 

3 laps 

150 push up 

225 air squat 

3 laps 

Mile 

200 push up 

300 air squat 

Mile

Again this is for youth kids, but why can't you the coach get a little better conditioning? so I dunno you don't look or sound like a hypocrite while talking about discipline...

Don't be the fat coach pushing the kids to run faster and harder while you can't breathe normal walking to the snack bar 😉

Even though I don't know if I'll get to coach this fall, challenge accepted. I'm starting with my two oldest kids on Monday. Fortunately, there's a hospital is right around the corner.

All joking aside, this is an awesome idea. My oldest -- who's as stubborn as I am -- will now work twice as hard because he doesn't want to get beat in the 100-yard dash by "a really old man".

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Even though I don't know if I'll get to coach this fall, challenge accepted. I'm starting with my two oldest kids on Monday. Fortunately, there's a hospital is right around the corner.

All joking aside, this is an awesome idea. My oldest -- who's as stubborn as I am -- will now work twice as hard because he doesn't want to get beat in the 100-yard dash by "a really old man".

Coach Terry

Nice! I can use the company. When Zach said to log my progress, I chose to do it on this thread because I'd be far less likely to quit. I probably wouldn't have done it on day 2 if it weren't for the pressure of posting it on Dumcoach. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

When Zach said to log my progress, I chose to do it on this thread because I'd be far less likely to quit. I probably wouldn't have done it on day 2 if it weren't for the pressure of posting it on Dumcoach. 

Then get moving!  Move it!  Move it!  Move it!  

I can't hear you!

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Week 1, Day 4. FRiday

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 12:45 (not a typo)

Sprints: 0 (but I pushed pretty hard on the last one)

Back was hurting. I've had back problems since 1993. Knees hurt pretty bad on the first one, but got better as I went. Probably endorphins. Not too bad temperature-wise, but lots of wildfire smoke. Other than eyes burning a little, didn't seem to bother me. Almost quit halfway through the first run, but in my little mental gymnastics, my Dumcoach buddies are holding me accountable.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Week 2, Day 1. Monday

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 12:08

Sprints: 1 (Yay)

Back is hurting a little. It's been miserable for about 2 weeks, but today I was able to get a decent adjustment. I think I'm about 1 or 2 adjustments on the bad side from being what I call "normal". Still, legs felt great despite playing hockey yesterday.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Week 1, Day 1 -- we got washed out. I ran 100 yards, walked the straight away, ran 100 yards, and then took off running to my car because it started pouring. I'll start again tomorrow...

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Nice work fellas. 

Gumby don't feel like you have to sprint if you're in pain. We are trying to create an adaptation so you do 10x100 in your sleep then we go for records.

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze

Do you mind explaining the why?   Did you just pick 10 X100m for convenience?  I'd think the rate of recovery improvement is a big benefit.

This post was modified 1 month ago by ThunderFootball

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Week 2, Day 2. Tuesday

10x100(ish) yards

Total time: 11:53

Sprints: 0

Took it easy today because my back is hurting. Made sure to go faster than a jog, but the reduced intensity meant shorter recovery times.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @thunderfootball

Do you mind explaining the why?   Did you just pick 10 X100m for convenience?  I'd think the rate of recovery improvement is a big benefit.

Manageable 

Everything about conditioning with at least the high school kids is all about managing the difficulty and success rate.  This won't be easily completed at first but the progress and success when it gets easier is a huge point I try and drive into the coaches.

Recovery is also a huge facet as you eluded too.  This won't tax a kid for days if it's done properly (not a jog, not a sprint).  We are into the second week and we have maybe 15 kids sprinting the 5th and 9th leg.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Week 1, Day 1 - I ran all 10 laps, total time running was 02 minutes, 38.93 seconds, total time to complete was just over 20 minutes. The format was the same as the last one, run 100, walk the curvy part of the track, run the next 100, walk the curvy part, etc.

My oldest actually enjoyed doing this (or that's what he told the high school baseball coach this morning!)

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@terrypjohnson Good on you, Terry!  For me, the day 2 and 3 leg soreness got better after the first 100 or two. Must be endorphins or something. The Agile 8 feels pretty good short term. Hurts like hell while you're doing the foam roller stuff, but feels much better after. Again, I suspect endorphins.

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze

@bucksweep58 Thanks.  You can see how much some of the coaches who are doing it have improved.  Easy measurable to show the kids they are improving.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: