Pre season testing here we go again  

RSS

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 25, 2020 8:34 pm  

4a head coach informs me we will "testing" athletes next weekend. PA is green and all go so far. Team workouts started mid June . Before that it was do what you can with what you got.

Explaining that most of these kids had no access to weights and relied on body weight work went in one ear out the other. We gonna test kids on a bench press which is worthless but more so that 60% of the boys started benching again last month. 

"But we have to test them" 

No we don't. 

End of the story I resigned from this program. 

Moral of the story, this covid situation has made things unique. To do what you did last year or always did prior to a season like physical testing is not applicable to THIS pre season. 

The other program I help is doing 5s and will not test strength. They will be focused on getting stronger and better shape as we move into camp. Build them up and see what happens. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
July 25, 2020 10:13 pm  

If you don’t mind me asking, what team is that you are stepping down from? If that’s not protocol around here, my bad 

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 26, 2020 11:24 am  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

Moral of the story, this covid situation has made things unique. To do what you did last year or always did prior to a season like physical testing is not applicable to THIS pre season. 

Amen, coach!! I said the same thing at an organizational meeting last week. The org said that we would probably need an acclimation period to get used to the heat before getting everyone in full pads. I had to explain to several coaches that a lot of these kids haven't done anything this summer except play Fortnite.

Agree with you 100%.

Coach Terry

P.S. - Thanks for that Do's and Dont's post about training a few weeks ago. I'm sure that when we play down here, my kids will be where they need to be rather than being worn down by playing "catch up".

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 26, 2020 2:04 pm  
Posted by: @seth54

If you don’t mind me asking, what team is that you are stepping down from? If that’s not protocol around here, my bad 

You can DM me if you like.  

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Share: