Notifications
Clear all

Belly XB blocking question...

CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
Topic starter  

So on the Belly XB or weak side ISO what ever you wanna call it, how do you block it vs an odd front? Say you got your WS guard uncovered, a 4 tech on your WS tackle and a  6/7tech standup DE outside the tackle box. My thought is the 4 tech should be slanting to B gap making for a fairly easy fold for the Tackle, have the Guard kick the 7 tech? This would make the play go a little wider than vs an even front. Would you consider just doubling the 4 tech and leave the 7 unblocked?  We saw a 5 man front a lot last season and this will be a new play to the offense this year. Just wondering how ya’ll might block it.

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

If the guard is covered, x block it ....tackle down, guard traps.

If the guard is not covered fan out

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Fan out

T takes 9
G takes 6
C take 0
Hb take lb
Reach back side

If you are good at option fake the 9 wont move much

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

So on the Belly XB or weak side ISO what ever you wanna call it, how do you block it vs an odd front? Say you got your WS guard uncovered, a 6 tech on your WS tackle and a wide 9 standup DE outside the tackle box. My thought is the 6 tech should be slanting to B gap making for a fairly easy fold for the Tackle, have the Guard kick the 9 tech? This would make the play go a little wider than vs an even front. Would you consider just doubling the 6 tech and leave the 9 unblocked?  We saw a 5 man front a lot last season and this will be a new play to the offense this year. Just wondering how ya’ll might block it.

You can either:

1.  Just fan it.  T gets to the wide 9 and G blocks the "6 tech" (did you mean 4 or 5 tech?).  The issue with this is that if the 5 slams into your T, he won't get to the 9.

2.  Continue to X block it, with the T basing the 4/5 tech and the G pulling to kick the 9.

One thing to remember is that Belly XB is really more of an off-tackle play than a B gap Iso.  A lot of people don't get that.  Instead of getting downhill quickly like on an I formation Iso, the ball carrier needs to run the rounded "Belly Path" where he steps wide towards the T for 2 steps and then cuts up off the T's butt.  If you don't use that backfield action, the play won't time up properly.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

If the guard is covered, x block it ....tackle down, guard traps.

If the guard is not covered fan out

Yup,  thats my kids rule. My guards call out 1, 2 or 3 on every play.  This tells tackles and other guard where their man is on primarily trap or belly.  If its belly and guard says 1 or 2, then they cross block. He says 3, they both block out. 

ReplyQuote
CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
Topic starter  

You can either:

1.  Just fan it.  T gets to the wide 9 and G blocks the "6 tech" (did you mean 4 or 5 tech?).  The issue with this is that if the 5 slams into your T, he won't get to the 9.

Yea, meant 4 tech...I wrote this pretty late last night.

ReplyQuote
Share: