Notifications

Belly XB blocking question...  

RSS

CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
OC
June 4, 2019 11:43 pm  

So on the Belly XB or weak side ISO what ever you wanna call it, how do you block it vs an odd front? Say you got your WS guard uncovered, a 4 tech on your WS tackle and a  6/7tech standup DE outside the tackle box. My thought is the 4 tech should be slanting to B gap making for a fairly easy fold for the Tackle, have the Guard kick the 7 tech? This would make the play go a little wider than vs an even front. Would you consider just doubling the 4 tech and leave the 7 unblocked?  We saw a 5 man front a lot last season and this will be a new play to the offense this year. Just wondering how ya’ll might block it.

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 5, 2019 1:01 am  

If the guard is covered, x block it ....tackle down, guard traps.

If the guard is not covered fan out

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
June 5, 2019 3:32 am  

Fan out

T takes 9
G takes 6
C take 0
Hb take lb
Reach back side

If you are good at option fake the 9 wont move much

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
June 5, 2019 5:00 am  

So on the Belly XB or weak side ISO what ever you wanna call it, how do you block it vs an odd front? Say you got your WS guard uncovered, a 6 tech on your WS tackle and a wide 9 standup DE outside the tackle box. My thought is the 6 tech should be slanting to B gap making for a fairly easy fold for the Tackle, have the Guard kick the 9 tech? This would make the play go a little wider than vs an even front. Would you consider just doubling the 6 tech and leave the 9 unblocked?  We saw a 5 man front a lot last season and this will be a new play to the offense this year. Just wondering how ya’ll might block it.

You can either:

1.  Just fan it.  T gets to the wide 9 and G blocks the "6 tech" (did you mean 4 or 5 tech?).  The issue with this is that if the 5 slams into your T, he won't get to the 9.

2.  Continue to X block it, with the T basing the 4/5 tech and the G pulling to kick the 9.

One thing to remember is that Belly XB is really more of an off-tackle play than a B gap Iso.  A lot of people don't get that.  Instead of getting downhill quickly like on an I formation Iso, the ball carrier needs to run the rounded "Belly Path" where he steps wide towards the T for 2 steps and then cuts up off the T's butt.  If you don't use that backfield action, the play won't time up properly.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
June 5, 2019 7:38 am  

If the guard is covered, x block it ....tackle down, guard traps.

If the guard is not covered fan out

Yup,  thats my kids rule. My guards call out 1, 2 or 3 on every play.  This tells tackles and other guard where their man is on primarily trap or belly.  If its belly and guard says 1 or 2, then they cross block. He says 3, they both block out. 

ReplyQuote
CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
OC
June 5, 2019 8:09 am  

You can either:

1.  Just fan it.  T gets to the wide 9 and G blocks the "6 tech" (did you mean 4 or 5 tech?).  The issue with this is that if the 5 slams into your T, he won't get to the 9.

Yea, meant 4 tech...I wrote this pretty late last night.

ReplyQuote
Share: