Notifications
Clear all

High School Sidesaddle T

Page 2 / 2

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

The short snap to the BB in the UBSW can be a bitch to defend. If the 3 other backs carry out their fakes, the BB can be 5 yards downfield before you realize he has the ball. The sidesaddle is twice as deceptive. Last Fall was my 7th season trying to defend Troy's sidesaddle. Stopping wedge is fairly easy to me, as long as we're willing to commit to stopping it. Then Troy started running a BB sweep/BB power that threw those plans to Hades. Last season, he put in the full spin and frankly, it's just not fair. Lord help us if he starts running the Buck Lateral.

Mahonz and I stole it one Spring season and we had counters that were blown dead by the ref as the BC was 15 yards downfield with no one near him. 

The biggest advantage is deception. The defense has about .5 second to figure out if the BB or the QB has the ball. Since the BB's on his feet, he's free to do a lot of things (hand off, lateral, pass) that he would struggle to do with a short snap.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co  Can't wait... er uh... actually dreading having to see your double wing this year.

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
Majortom
(@majortom)
Bronze

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

The biggest advantage is deception. The defense has about .5 second to figure out if the BB or the QB has the ball. Since the BB's on his feet, he's free to do a lot of things (hand off, lateral, pass) that he would struggle to do with a short snap.

Has anyone seen this done? Not to go off topic,  but above is something I was pondering trying this year. The quote here about trying to snap to BB in regular or even Cisar style Singlewing and have the BB hand off after receiving the snap? Much more likely to bobble the snap then under center. I have an unusual reason I was asking. League rule about not allowing QB sneaks or any direct snaps and running into A gaps. (basic SW wedge) UC handoffs then Dive/Wedge seems to be ok.

Tom

14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @majortom

Has anyone seen this done? Not to go off topic,  but above is something I was pondering trying this year. The quote here about trying to snap to BB in regular or even Cisar style Singlewing and have the BB hand off after receiving the snap? Much more likely to bobble the snap then under center. I have an unusual reason I was asking. League rule about not allowing QB sneaks or any direct snaps and running into A gaps. (basic SW wedge) UC handoffs then Dive/Wedge seems to be ok.

Tom

Troy has been running sidesaddle against me and Mahonz for about 7 seasons now. I've never seen his BB hand off.  Mahonz and I stole his sidesaddle one season. Our BB handed off and tossed. You're only limited to your imagination.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Has anyone seen this done? Not to go off topic,  but above is something I was pondering trying this year. The quote here about trying to snap to BB in regular or even Cisar style Singlewing and have the BB hand off after receiving the snap?

There's video online -- don't know how to find it now -- of that being done by someone using the Wyatt wildcat.  The handoff is not timed closely to the snap, though.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Tom

Troy has been running sidesaddle against me and Mahonz for about 7 seasons now. I've never seen his BB hand off.  Mahonz and I stole his sidesaddle one season. Our BB handed off and tossed. You're only limited to your imagination.

Majortom's not asking about that, he's asking about taking a short tossed snap, then handing off -- which I agree is more difficult than sidesaddle.

ReplyQuote
Majortom
(@majortom)
Bronze

Bob, is correct. 1st time coaching 8 man Rookie tackle for me and the organization. Lots of rules that go directly against the Dave Cisar UBSW the our organization runs. (p.s. I am also new to this organization) I know my bosses want me to go by the Dave Cisar book with as little changes as possible. If I lined up under center I think they would fire me on the spot!! Just trying to figure ways of running wedge as a handoff to meet the Rookie rule.

Thanks,

Tom

14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

1st time coaching 8 man Rookie tackle for me and the organization. Lots of rules that go directly against the Dave Cisar UBSW the our organization runs. (p.s. I am also new to this organization) I know my bosses want me to go by the Dave Cisar book with as little changes as possible. If I lined up under center I think they would fire me on the spot!! Just trying to figure ways of running wedge as a handoff to meet the Rookie rule.

What's to figure?  Markham-style double wing teams do that all the time when it's 11 a side.  You just want a QB under center who doesn't look like he's under center.  Although I don't know how playing 8 a side isn't a much biggest change to Dave Cisar's system than anything you'd be doing!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: