Notifications
Clear all

MS QB calling plays?  

Page 1 / 3

33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
Topic starter  

for those of you in the T world who have small playbooks, and a clear system.... ever thought about having your QB call plays? at the Middle School Level?

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

And how about a player at another position on offense?  Preferably one that doesn't get the ball, so there's no temptation to call his own # a lot.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Yes - at the 11/12 level.  We gave the QB a wrist coach, and signaled in 1,2 or 3 (outside, inside, or pass).  He picked which one from there. We asked him to see where the dominant player was lining up on defense and run away from him.  Actually works really well.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I did with 12/13

I found 2 run plays a side and 1 pass each way was border line too much

We did this is 30 personel with dwt

Started in red/ blue based the run plays off of the guard defernder

Pass plays off of the invert

Guard read was first...we looked left to right
1/2tech = belly or trap
3/4 - buck sweep

Pass read was based on the invert or single high
- non invert - quick pass(60) slant seam, smash
Invert side- waggle towards

This was called "stephen choice" his name was stephen lol

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Only if they came over to my house & broke down hours of film of the defense we're going to face like I do. Until that happens, I see zero benifit in allowing them to call plays.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Only if they came over to my house & broke down hours of film of the defense we're going to face like I do. Until that happens, I see zero benifit in allowing them to call plays.

J

What's wrong with you? Don't you want to return to the 1950's?

There are many reasons this has gone the way of the Dodo bird, but the biggest is why would anyone want a child to have that responsibility instead of simply playing.

Joe [color]

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

J

There are many reasons this has gone the way of the Dodo bird, but the biggest is why would anyone want a child to have that responsibility instead of simply playing.

Joe [color]

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

We share all our information with the kids via Hudl. If they put the time in and study our opponent, listen, ask questions and understand the schemes, I have no trouble allowing the QB or the LB'er to call plays or the defense. One year we were watching film pre-game and my LB'er was sitting next to me reciting what we had taught all week. I was amazed and ask him if he wanted to call the defense. His reply, "Hell Yes!"! He did a great job calling the next 4 games. LOL

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

J

Joe [color]

I just don't see the benifit. ESPECIALLY in the Wing T. We call plays often based on what a defender did on the previous play. The QB has his back turned, & is carrying out fakes, should have very little idea what the defender that we're looking at, did on the previous play.

I don't even want my QB putting in the time I do studying film & the system. Kid needs to take care of school work, not do my job for me.

Absolute BEST case scenario, you get some brilliant 12 year old & he calls the plays, reads a D, & understands the system as well as I do (not happening, but i'll entertain it for arguments sake). So why put that on him if he BEST case is AS good?

Most i'll allow are a few presnal audibles & post snap reads. Other than that, no thanks.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

J

Joe [color]

Same reason they play: because it's fun for them.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I just don't see the benifit. ESPECIALLY in the Wing T. We call plays often based on what a defender did on the previous play. The QB has his back turned, & is carrying out fakes, should have very little idea what the defender that we're looking at, did on the previous play.

Then why not have a player at another position call plays?  Or a player on the bench?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

"Coltsy" told me a long time ago and it kinda sold me on the qb calling plays.

"Other sports do it all the time, pitchers choose their pitch, point guards call the play, boxers throw their own punches. If i dont know what my qb is gonna call, how is my opponent supposed to..."

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The only time we allowed it was with a kid we had for a few seasons. Even then it was only after a failed freeze attempt and his choices were power right, power left or wedge. He would use a color system to name one of the 3 plays. With that said, we still called many of those plays as we might want something different. We used freeze play almost always in situations where wedge or power would of been fine. It was not worth the effort honestly, even with thise limitations.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Then why not have a player at another position call plays?  Or a player on the bench?

Because I know better than a 12 year old kid?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Because I know better than a 12 year old kid?

Of course. The thing I posted about had a ton of limitations. We only did it because we wanted to catch teams on their heals after a freeze attempt. All were nomo(this was dw). We felt if we called an audible from the sideline we would lose that advantage. Freeze was 3 huts then a color then go on next sound.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: