Page 4 / 4
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 25, 2019 9:08 am  

In making the change to eliminate the reverse pivot (except on belly and belly sweep), we lost the FB's fill block for the front side guard, which has been an issue lately as a 1 tech is too far down for the play side tackle to reliably cover, and is hard for the center to cover if it's to his snapping hand's side.

Then why are you doing it that way?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 25, 2019 5:02 pm  

Then why are you doing it that way?

For one thing, Newton HS's teams are now doing it that way.  (No reverse pivot in the buck sweep -- 20 -- series.)  Our coaches usually copy what the HS does, and since the HS won a state varsity championship recently, it's going to be hard to convince the youth coaches to do things another way.

For another, we were having execution problems with our QB that were ameliorated by doing a straight opening on the 20 series.

And also, I don't see the point of using reverse pivot on all our plays.  Before, we had no straight openers unless you count jet series.  Now we open straignt on the 20 series and reverse on the belly (80) series.  (We also got rid of cross blocking on the belly, and execution and results improved there too.)  It wasn't my call -- it was Coach Lance's, who mostly handles the offense, but I think HC Dan approved -- but I prefer the mix of straight and reverse pivot openings we have now.

I remember a discussion here at DumCoach a few years ago about the blocking and relative advantages of doing a buck sweep series either way.

Tonight at practice I brought up this video to Lance and suggested we do it that way.  He said he'd try it.  I'm going to send him a link to the YouTube.  I also said that for the trap we could have the front side guard sucker pull as for the sweep, and that we'd probably benefit timing-wise by moving the FB forward a little -- not to anything like sniffer depth, but the QB's going to get the ball to him sooner, so a little closer.  The only thing is that for the trap to develop, he may need to slow down or wait for a count after getting the ball; maybe do it like a draw play, waiting to be handed the ball before starting forward.  I'm going to also suggest a straight FB buck as an alternative for a quicker hit.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 25, 2019 5:43 pm  

Our coaches usually copy what the HS does, and since the HS won a state varsity championship recently, it's going to be hard to convince the youth coaches to do things another way.

Sorry Bob, I stopped reading after this. ^

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 25, 2019 11:30 pm  

Exactly,

I ain't copying what anybody does.  If they want to teach me and show me how they do it and why they do it, I may try to incorporate it if it makes sense.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 26, 2019 6:21 pm  

I ain't copying what anybody does.  If they want to teach me and show me how they do it and why they do it, I may try to incorporate it if it makes sense.

This was the reason for my reticence when I started with this club 2 years ago: the fact that from top to bottom they were copying Newton HS's systems.  Not only that, but my understanding is that's the general M.O. throughout the Morris County Youth Football League.  The whole league treats what they're doing as developmental for the high schools rather than primarily as fun for the kids (or coaches) now, and they dumb the game down inordinately compared to what I'm used to.  It's why I wanted to get onto the Kittatinny organization, where the coaches revolted against such dictation, but there were no openings for me then or in the subsequent year, and by now I think my best chance is to stay with the Braves organization.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 26, 2019 7:49 pm  

It's why I wanted to get onto the Kittatinny organization, where the coaches revolted against such dictation, but there were no openings for me then or in the subsequent year, and by now I think my best chance is to stay with the Braves organization.

So what is it that you do, Bob?  Are you a coordinator?  Position coach?  Something else?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 28, 2019 7:36 pm  

So what is it that you do, Bob?  Are you a coordinator?  Position coach?  Something else?

I'm one of 6 coaches on the team, and I'm the one who's been with this organization the fewest years, also the only one who never had family playing in it.  Coach Dennis keeps telling the players about my long experience coaching -- exaggerating a bit -- but I'm still the newbie as far as this "family".  I mostly coach line, both ways.  Once in a while they let me set up drills, otherwise I just help with what they do.  When it comes to coaching form in drills, it's practically always a matter of our pointing out the same things to the players, just which one shouts it out first LOL.  We have our own in-game scouting responsibilities that vary.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: