Notifications

What I learned in my first year running wing T...  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 17, 2019 10:50 am  

4 straight championship games winning the last 3 in a row.  Even tho we keep drafting last.

That's the advantage that good coaching provides at the youth level.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
OC
December 17, 2019 12:23 pm  

I'd be interested why you went from I, to wing T.  I coached under one of Pennsylvania's Al Black disciples (H.S. level '88-92 seasons) Slot-I, Sprint-draw, w/ emphasis on the QB-TB option.  Loved it when we had players for it...  not so much when we didn't.  Felt it was too dependent on the talent being there.  later coached under a Wing-T guy ('93 - 98 seasons) when the talent level was down, we'd still finish 6-3.  The ability to play w/ the big boys w/ lesser talent sold me.

This is exactly why we got away from the I. We are undersized up front every year.  The blocking angles created with the down blocking scheme in the Wing T gives our boys  a chance.  We play in a pretty competitive league out here in California. 9 times out of 10 we’re smaller and slower than our opponents. The blocking angles and deception that the wing T provides helps level the playing field for us.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 17, 2019 7:31 pm  

Another teaching point that really seemed to help with this was making sure our QBs footwork was correct. After watching film of our practices I noticed that he was not rotating enough when he reverse pivoted. We bird dog all our backfield footwork every offensive day (especially in the beginning of the year) and the QB would have perfect footwork, but when we went live I noticed he was getting too much depth and not rotating a full 180 degrees.

I noticed a similar problem on our belly, except the QB was getting neither enough depth nor distance!  Belly requires a little more than 180 degrees of rotation.

See, if we were running sidesaddle T we wouldn't have such a problem, because the QB starts already rotated 90 or almost 90 degrees.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: