Notifications
Clear all

Wishbone FB dive

Page 1 / 2

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

What type of footwork would you teach the FB prior to go towards the hole and what would be his aiming point? The hip of the center, the gap between G and C or the hip of the G? Thanks in advanced!

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Is the QB opening midline, or near foot over?

Actually regardless, I'd want him to aim relative to the ball, not the hole.  If the QB's stepping the desired way, that should steer the dive back to the proper hole.  The point about the FB in either I or Y is that he's close enough that he's not going to get the running start that he would if he were deeper.  So he can adjust his move to the QB's rather than the QB to his.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Is the QB opening midline, or near foot over?

Actually regardless, I'd want him to aim relative to the ball, not the hole.  If the QB's stepping the desired way, that should steer the dive back to the proper hole.  The point about the FB in either I or Y is that he's close enough that he's not going to get the running start that he would if he were deeper.  So he can adjust his move to the QB's rather than the QB to his.

Ideally I want it at a good enough angle to set up the counter to the back side. Just wanted to know if anyone taught some sort of cross over step or a side step or just had them go straight for the hole/aiming point?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Ideally I want it at a good enough angle to set up the counter to the back side. Just wanted to know if anyone taught some sort of cross over step or a side step or just had them go straight for the hole/aiming point?

If you wanted him to take crossover or side steps, you would not station him so close to the QB, you would have a straight T formation.  Don't be thinking about setting up a counter while he's running a straight dive.  Counters are not your primary plays, or they wouldn't be called counters.  If you run a counter, it's to preserve the threat of the play it's countering, not vice versa.

I suppose you're referring to a FB counter, where the QB somehow gets out of the way and the FB cuts back.  He's just going to have to deviate from his usual footwork to do that.  I would not in any way stretch the footwork of the dive to make more space for the counter.  The whole point of the dive is to hit quick with the QB threatening to keep the ball & direct it elsewhere.

I would not have the diving FB watch the butt or hip of any OL.  The hole he's hitting just has to "be there" without his looking for it.  With 12Us handing the ball off close to the line like that, he's got to look the ball into his arms.  Even if you practice it enough that you think he should be able to get the ball by feel, still look it in.  If he winds up running into the back of an OL, so be it, force your way thru.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

If you wanted him to take crossover or side steps, you would not station him so close to the QB, you would have a straight T formation.  Don't be thinking about setting up a counter while he's running a straight dive.  Counters are not your primary plays, or they wouldn't be called counters.  If you run a counter, it's to preserve the threat of the play it's countering, not vice versa.

I suppose you're referring to a FB counter, where the QB somehow gets out of the way and the FB cuts back.  He's just going to have to deviate from his usual footwork to do that.  I would not in any way stretch the footwork of the dive to make more space for the counter.  The whole point of the dive is to hit quick with the QB threatening to keep the ball & direct it elsewhere.

I would not have the diving FB watch the butt or hip of any OL.  The hole he's hitting just has to "be there" without his looking for it.  With 12Us handing the ball off close to the line like that, he's got to look the ball into his arms.  Even if you practice it enough that you think he should be able to get the ball by feel, still look it in.  If he winds up running into the back of an OL, so be it, force your way thru.

My dive is going to set up everything in my offense. No one puts good players in the middle, they just stack outside for the sweep. I want to run dive to force them to bring some good players into the middle and then hit them outside.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

My dive is going to set up everything in my offense. No one puts good players in the middle, they just stack outside for the sweep. I want to run dive to force them to bring some good players into the middle and then hit them outside.

Personally, I would not bother running dive, unless it were a wedge.  Midline option is not very difficult to implement.  It is a two man option.  Give to the FB and a QB keep (the QB replaces the dive key).  From there you can run a quick toss to get outside, counter or sally away...

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Personally, I would not bother running dive, unless it were a wedge.  Midline option is not very difficult to implement.  It is a two man option.  Give to the FB and a QB keep (the QB replaces the dive key).  From there you can run a quick toss to get outside, counter or sally away...

I didn't tell you what age group I was coaching did I?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Then the type of counter you want wouldn't be a cutback anyway.  So what makes you think adjusting the FB's steps or aiming point would have any effect on the rest of your attack?

Then your choice of midline or off-guard isn't going to make much difference either in the overall scheme of things  That'll be more about how you want the QB to open up to start plays of a series than about how you want the dive play itself to work.  Then adopt blocking rules more congenial to opening an A or B gap as suits.  You could always use a different QB & FB move (midline & off-guard) depending on whether it's the dive or a fake, and it'd be hard for the defense to pick up on that, but you might as well use the same move so it's one less thing for your players to learn.

I suppose you could get more sophisticated about it if it's really important to maintain a good dive threat even if the opponents do reinforce the middle a little, by your practicing both a midline & an off-guard dive, so the defense has to respect the inside even more and weaken themselves further elsewhere, but I suspect that wouldn't be so worth your while.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Is it different from what appears at the left?

From what you wrote, I did not assume you were installing option.  I may not have completely ruled option out, but it looks like you want dive & called counters.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Is it different from what appears at the left?

From what you wrote, I did not assume you were installing option.  I may not have completely ruled option out, but it looks like you want dive & called counters.

Hahaha that needs to be updated. Cut that in half and that is what I am coaching. I am not looking to do any option.

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

We teach using a "web".  The FB lines up right behind the QB and the path changes depending on if we run inside or outside.  The FB has 3 paths in our system.

1.  hole between center and guard (midline)
2. outside hip of guard
3.  inside hip of tackle

It is a very subtle difference on our plays but it makes a huge difference in execution.  The FB footwork does not change, only the path.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

We teach using a "web".  The FB lines up right behind the QB and the path changes depending on if we run inside or outside.  The FB has 3 paths in our system.

1.  hole between center and guard (midline)
2. outside hip of guard
3.  inside hip of tackle

It is a very subtle difference on our plays but it makes a huge difference in execution.  The FB footwork does not change, only the path.

Do you use any special foot work?

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

Do you use any special foot work?

Not for the FB.  The QB is another story  😉

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I am basing my offense off of the youth wishbone presentation by Coach McGee. He runs counter off of dive but doesn't go into specific on footwork of the FB or QB.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Well, looking at the age group I would run wedge all day.  I have seen some teams in your bracket that have won championships running nothing but wedge.  Very difficult to stop at that level (and most others for that matter).

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: