Clear all

accountability

Page 1 / 2

cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver
Topic starter  

I saw our captains were not doing the greatest job of holding their teammates accountable during warmups.  I shared my feelings about it the next day, and I told them that being a captain comes with responsibility.  I told them that if they allow their teammates to do a crap job, they (the captains) will suffer the consequences.  They will do up downs, while the rest of the team thanks them after each rep.

First... several several of the existing captains fell in with the ranks.  A few others stepped up.  Warmups became more spirited, and I saw captains require the team to start a few movements over again.  No up downs were needed.

I did share that if someone wanted to challenge one of the new captains, we would arrange a battle.

We have a nice group of boys this year.  I hope everyone's season is progressing nicely.

Brian

Do right by Him, and you'll do right by them.

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Good stuff but I'm not sure I totally agree with "having a battle" to challenge for a captains position. Eventually you will just have the best athletes as captains regardless of how good of a leader they are. Unless you can think up of some way for this battle to test leadership.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Good stuff but I'm not sure I totally agree with "having a battle" to challenge for a captains position. Eventually you will just have the best athletes as captains regardless of how good of a leader they are. Unless you can think up of some way for this battle to test leadership.

R

Oh this is a VERY powerful tool. Its the Alpha Males that end up ruling creating even more Alpha Males over time. Its like a virus.

Had a kid that was a Captain for Life for 4 straight Seasons but he was challenged 3 or 4 times per Season. At the start of the 4th Season he came too me and told me he wanted to give Alex his Captain-ship and that all challenges would still come thru him.

Alex was by far one of the hardest working MP's I have ever coached and now one of the best players on the team wanted everyone to recognize that.

That never happens on a normal team.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

But that is the point Mike. The fact that your captain for life did that says that he was a good leader. Soetimes if let our best and most physical athlete be captain I can promise you nothing like that would happen. Many of those kids are very self centered with zero leadership abilities.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

R

Oh this is a VERY powerful tool. Its the Alpha Males that end up ruling creating even more Alpha Males over time. Its like a virus.

Had a kid that was a Captain for Life for 4 straight Seasons but he was challenged 3 or 4 times per Season. At the start of the 4th Season he came too me and told me he wanted to give Alex his Captain-ship and that all challenges would still come thru him.

Alex was by far one of the hardest working MP's I have ever coached and now one of the best players on the team wanted everyone to recognize that.

That never happens on a normal team.

I'm pretty sure "normal team" in this case means a team on which that would never happen.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

But that is the point Mike. The fact that your captain for life did that says that he was a good leader. Soetimes if let our best and most physical athlete be captain I can promise you nothing like that would happen. Many of those kids are very self centered with zero leadership abilities.

R

He started out as a bully.

Leadership is something learned and even abused. This hierarchy helps funnel that energy properly. A Captain carries a lot of responsibilities outside of taking the field for a coin flip.

You'd be shocked at what is happening to one Captain on my team right now...even off the field.... and he is only into this thing 25 days.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I'm pretty sure "normal team" in this case means a team on which that would never happen.

Yep...a normal team generally appoints their Captains alphabetically each week so that everything is fair and balanced.

Nothing like teaching that life lesson to kids.  ::)

Makes me wanna puke.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Yep...a normal team generally appoints their Captains alphabetically each week so that everything is fair and balanced.

Nothing like teaching that life lesson to kids.  ::)

Makes me wanna puke.

Who ever had the best week in practice are our captains for the week.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Who ever had the best week in practice are our captains for the week.

That works too.  🙂 ....but its still Adults being subjective.

Filter that down one more level and you are with me.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Filter that down one more level and you are with me.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Don't say you weren't warned.

😛

ReplyQuote
cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver
Topic starter  

Sorry fellas... been out of the office since this morning.  I haven't been to that place yet where a challenge is requested.  Of course I got the challenge idea from the "Captains for Life" part of Mike's clinic on teambuilding.

Our team chemistry is vastly different each year.  As well, our individual athletic makeup is different each year too.  All I know is a couple of kids, who "had" been up front, silently bowed out when I presented the challenge.  That resulted in better leadership from the kids who wanted to step up.  I kick myself for not seeing this earlier.

A challenge could be a physical contest, could be based upon a week of effort displayed first before a physical challenge, or it could be a challenge based upon knowledge. etc. etc.

I will most likely fashion any challenge based upon the matchup, so that the superior athlete (or biggest guy) doesn't just waltz back in just because he beat his opponent in a sumo contest.

All good comments!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Sorry fellas... been out of the office since this morning.  I haven't been to that place yet where a challenge is requested.  Of course I got the challenge idea from the "Captains for Life" part of Mike's clinic on teambuilding.

Our team chemistry is vastly different each year.  As well, our individual athletic makeup is different each year too.  All I know is a couple of kids, who "had" been up front, silently bowed out when I presented the challenge.  That resulted in better leadership from the kids who wanted to step up.  I kick myself for not seeing this earlier.

A challenge could be a physical contest, could be based upon a week of effort displayed first before a physical challenge, or it could be a challenge based upon knowledge. etc. etc.

I will most likely fashion any challenge based upon the matchup, so that the superior athlete (or biggest guy) doesn't just waltz back in just because he beat his opponent in a sumo contest.

All good comments!

B

I split the Captain openings up into size groups. So 150 pounds is never up against 80 pounds in any kind of physical competition.

We have 3 Captains for Life this year..... large, X-large and 2X-large.

I tried the mental approach one year and the coaches kids kept winning so it ended up another subjective exercise skewed by Adults.

Coaches kids do have the advantage since they tend to talk a lot of football with their sons away from the field.

Its their Team and their Captains so the Adults need to let that pan out however it pans out is my conclusion. Now its raw and run by the players...as it should be. 

ReplyQuote
cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver
Topic starter  

B

I split the Captain openings up into size groups. So 150 pounds is never up against 80 pounds in any kind of physical competition.

We have 3 Captains for Life this year..... large, X-large and 2X-large.

I tried the mental approach one year and the coaches kids kept winning so it ended up another subjective exercise skewed by Adults.

Coaches kids do have the advantage since they tend to talk a lot of football with their sons away from the field.

Its their Team and their Captains so the Adults need to let that pan out however it pans out is my conclusion. Now its raw and run by the players...as it should be.

Thanks Mike.  I had not thought of the coach/son factor.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I like Mahonz idea of challenging for the captainship. I have not done that before. That process would definitely put a premium on toughness.

I have had some teams in the past that lacked that type of leadership. The group I have this year is not lacking at all in that category. If this group battled for captains the way I'm envisioning your battles....well....practices would be more violent than games.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: