RSS

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
October 5, 2019 8:16 am  

Yesterday,  we had our team pictures.  You know the drill, waste of time, but have to do it.  My Tight End/OLB comes in late.  After we are done, he comes up to me holding back tears.  He says "coach, I wanted to go back in, but the trainer would not let me.  I am sorry I let the team down."  I told him he had done no such of a thing and had no control of that and that I was proud of his performance.  His aunt , whom he lives with, comes up to me after he walks off and said before this year he never got to play that much and he would run through a brick wall if I asked him.  I told her is a pretty dang good football player and even better person.

This is why I do what I do...

PS.  We lost a tough one in double overtime on Thursday.  It was the game that decides who plays for the conference championship. We can only play 8 middle school games in NC, and our ADs have the schedules easier for them to schedule, but not necessarily the best.  If the best two teams are in the same division, the loser is out.  That would be us this year.  I tried to get them to drop one of our first games so we could have a 4 team playoff at the end, two games of 1 vs 2 and then winners play and losers play second week, but they said it would be a scheduling fiasco,  meaning a little extra work for them, but I digress.

AB56
 AB56
(@ab56)
Lurker
November 25, 2020 2:19 am  
Posted by: @ramoody

Yesterday,  we had our team pictures.  You know the drill, waste of time, but have to do it.  My Tight End/OLB comes in late.  After we are done, he comes up to me holding back tears.  He says "coach, I wanted to go back in, but the trainer would not let me.  I am sorry I let the team down."  I told him he had done no such of a thing and had no control of that and that I was proud of his performance.  His aunt , whom he lives with, comes up to me after he walks off and said before this year he never got to play that much and he would run through a brick wall if I asked him.  I told her is a pretty dang good football player and even better person.

This is why I do what I do...

PS.  We lost a tough one in double overtime on Thursday.  It was the game that decides who plays for the conference championship. We can only play 8 middle school games in NC, and our ADs have the schedules easier for them to schedule, but not necessarily the best.  If the best two teams are in the same division, the loser is out.  That would be us this year.  I tried to get them to drop one of our first games so we could have a 4 team playoff at the end, two games of 1 vs 2 and then winners play and losers play second week, but they said it would be a scheduling fiasco,  meaning a little extra work for them, but I digress.

Hey Coach,

I am surprised no one has replied to this post from more than a year ago, so I thought I'd do it because it is so important to find reasons to love coaching than just for the love of the game. Although I do not know the actual article that states this, it has been said that the extent to which a sympathetic ear or regular words of encouragement can improve sports performance. Previous studies have linked "social support" to performance in golf and other sports. For the first time, researchers have tested the importance of social support by providing individually-tailored support to sportspeople and measuring its impact on performance. What you offered that player means the world to him. I hope he did well as you provided him with the support he needed. Right on!

- AB

ReplyQuote
Share: