Notifications
Clear all

Hooray for parents

Page 1 / 2

mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Got a text today from the parent of one of my better players. He splits QB time 50/50 and plays CB (He's pretty much a LB out there)

The text reads: "Little Johnny's baseball academy just called and they are needing an extra player for this weekends wooden bat tournament in AR. Sorry for the late notice but he will not be at the game on Saturday, but he will be at practice tonight."

To which I reply: "I understand, his priority is baseball. It will really screw the team if Jimmy, (QB2), goes down, he's our only backup."

He responds: Jimmy is a tough kid I am sure you will do fine. You might work someone else in at QB tonight to get a few reps.

I replied: "Yep, Out of curiosity, is this his decision, or yours?"

Him: "This is Johnny's decision. We went over the pros and cons of his decision and he chose baseball. We hate to do this and I understand your frustration b/c I have been  in your shoes frequently, but great coaches and teams improve through adversity and change."

Me: "I don't want to get in a pissing match, but I believe young men should be taught what the terms commitment and integrity mean. If you sign up for something you follow through with it because your team needs you, and if you say you will do something you honor your word and follow through with it. I will find a back up QB, we WILL be fine without him. Of that I'm sure."

Him: "It appears you are making at pissing contest. Thanks for your opinion." 

I left it at that because now I want to punch the guy in the throat...

A)  "We hate to do this and I understand your frustration b/c I have been  in your shoes frequently"    Then WTF?!?!

B) "but great coaches and teams improve through adversity and change."  Slap me in the face passive aggressively and it pisses me the F*^@ off, worse than if you just come out and say it.

C) When the heck did we stop teaching commitment and integrity in this country... it's half of what's wrong with society today.

Do I address these 2 terms to the team tonight? AGAIN? or do I just let it go? I'm so fuming right now I could chew a tree in half.

Phillipians 4:13

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

You might want to point out that great players improve through adversity and change, too, and you're about to help the young man by providing some for him.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

As frustrating as this is, I find that getting into the p!ssing contest, doesn't serve anyone.  The family/player agent/player decided that baseball was more important.  Pretend that he is injured and next man up. 

Now you know the level of commitment and you can plan accordingly in the future. 

ReplyQuote
mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze
Topic starter  

You might want to point out that great players improve through adversity and change, too, and you're about to help the young man by providing some for him.

LOL, I really don't want to stir the pot too much, I really like this kid

ReplyQuote
mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze
Topic starter  

As frustrating as this is, I find that getting into the p!ssing contest, doesn't serve anyone.  The family/player agent/player decided that baseball was more important.  Pretend that he is injured and next man up. 

Now you know the level of commitment and you can plan accordingly in the future.

true and true, I have most definitely taken note

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

its odd that the nicest kids seem to have the most difficult parents.  I have noticed this trend over the last 5 years.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Got a text today from the parent of one of my better players. He splits QB time 50/50 and plays CB (He's pretty much a LB out there)

The text reads: "Little Johnny's baseball academy just called and they are needing an extra player for this weekends wooden bat tournament in AR. Sorry for the late notice but he will not be at the game on Saturday, but he will be at practice tonight."

To which I reply: "I understand, his priority is baseball. It will really screw the team if Jimmy, (QB2), goes down, he's our only backup."

He responds: Jimmy is a tough kid I am sure you will do fine. You might work someone else in at QB tonight to get a few reps.

Him: "This is Johnny's decision. We went over the pros and cons of his decision and he chose baseball. We hate to do this and I understand your frustration b/c I have been  in your shoes frequently, but great coaches and teams improve through adversity and change."

Me: "I don't want to get in a pissing match, but I believe young men should be taught what the terms commitment and integrity mean. If you sign up for something you follow through with it because your team needs you, and if you say you will do something you honor your word and follow through with it. I will find a back up QB, we WILL be fine without him. Of that I'm sure."

I left it at that because now I want to punch the guy in the throat...

A)  "We hate to do this and I understand your frustration b/c I have been  in your shoes frequently"    Then WTF?!?!

B) "but great coaches and teams improve through adversity and change."  Slap me in the face passive aggressively and it pisses me the F*^@ off, worse than if you just come out and say it.

C) When the heck did we stop teaching commitment and integrity in this country... it's half of what's wrong with society today.

Do I address these 2 terms to the team tonight? AGAIN? or do I just let it go? I'm so fuming right now I could chew a tree in half.

M

In our Teams Rules it states that we need a 10 day notice if you will be missing a game....outside of an emergency of course.

People respect this Rule. We have a kid that had an opportunity to travel with his Father this week and will miss the game on Saturday. He is our starting TB. Dad gave me a heads up and asked it if was cool two weeks ago.

So we made arrangements.

If this Father did this too me with zero notice like you just got....his son sits the next  game after he returns.

This works...since there are so few games compared to other Sports. 

That would be my response to this Email.

Cool have fun but I will be benching Bubba for the Game on 10/10 as well for conduct detrimental to the team

His team mates are going to be pretty pissed off at him over this. No way this Father has been in that situation before or he wouldn't be doing this to you last minute.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Just tell the parent that great coaches and teams make sure they don't have to depend on kids who have bailed on them in the past two or three days before a game, and you will manage practices and games accordingly going forward.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
coachstu
(@coachstu)
Gold

This...cut bait and move on.  I have this issue every year with basketball.  Miss football practice or a game because of attendance in another sport, you do not play.  I sleep good.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

This is where you should have stopped.  Anything past this point made it a pissing match.  I totally agree with you about commitment, but you can't win this one.  I tell my kids and parents that playing time is based on attitude, ability, and attendance.  His attitude that football is second to baseball would cost him playing time and of course his attendance as well.  Since he treats football as a secondary interest, make sure you give more playing time to kids that place football as a first priority.  No offense to baseball, but you get out what you put in.  Second priority = second string at best.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

yeah, these guys are right.  you can't control his behavior(or the influence of his parents, whether you respect it or not).  but you can control your team.  that said, I understand it seems wrong to punish a kid for his parents' decision.  that's not fair to the kid.  that said, it isn't fair to your team what he is doing-and the team is always the first priority.  at least that is what we always stress.  team before me.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

If the kid has chosen baseball as number one then don't let him come back to the team.  Baseball is his sport after all.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
ThunderFootball
(@thunderfootball)
Bronze

I hate this crap people pull. When did it become ok to commit to one group/sport, etc and then bail when something more fun or enjoyable, etc comes up?  I see this too many times.  It's on the parents and that's where the kids learn it from. 

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I never believe in punishing a player for the  sins of the parent. Yes, it has hurt the team by the parent's choice. I would have to be in the situation to actually see how I would handle it. I have seen parents make dumb moves before, & even dumber comments.I never try to hold against the player.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

Our starting JV QB....who isn't all that good....misses every Wednesday practice for baseball. I don't get it. This isn't the HS team its some outside team. Next year when he is a junior on varsity he gets 0 reps. Waste of time.

Anyways. I think this kid should not be a focal point of your team on O or D because this may happen again. You can't trust him. Train someone else up and let him hang out and watch the game from the sidelines.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: