Notifications
Clear all

I had a kid run hills for his teammate yesterday..

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

So if a kid misses practice, they have to run 24 hills. No biggie, the kids know it and the kids hate it.  The hill is pretty much straight up about 50 feet.  I had a kid miss on Monday.  He told me that he would run some before and after practice.  He ran 12 before.  So I go over to the hill and wait.  I did not see him. 

One of his teammates was there as there is a nice shady spot and sometimes they hang there before and after practice.  I asked him if he knew where his teammate was.  He said No.  I told him, oh I thought he was going to run his hills.  The kid says, I'll run them for him coach.  I said are you saying you want to run your teammates hills for him?  He said yes.  I said well he owes 12.  He said he would run them.  I was floored. 

To put a little perspective, we had just done 30 minutes of Circle of Death.  They were beat.  I really did not know what to say, but I finally told him that I would let him run half of them (6).  He smiled and did it. I actually did not want to let him do this for his teammate cause I did not want the kid off the hook but how could I deny something as this?

This is a kid whose father hung himself a couple of years ago.  His mother has not been heard of in years.  And he wants to commit a selfless act like this.  I have done this hill thing for over ten years.  NEVER has a kid offered to run hills FOR their teammate.  I have had them run some with them for encouragement.

I sent messages to his principal and teachers.  Kids are always getting chastised for doing something bad.  Catch them doing something good!  And praise the shit out of it!!  And let others know it!   

This kid is not a starter.  This is his first year playing.  Tomorrow, game two, he is starting and is a captain.

SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

There is nothing I love more than getting to read stories like this one.  Thanks for sharing coach! What a remarkable kid!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Goombah I was thinking the same thing. I was honestly a little sad today as I am having to mourn my 8 YO grandson today on his birthday and this cheered me up a bit.

Thanks for Posting Coach Tony. You never know who your story will effect.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

Goombah I was thinking the same thing. I was honestly a little sad today as I am having to mourn my 8 YO grandson today on his birthday and this cheered me up a bit.

Thanks for Posting Coach Tony. You never know who your story will effect.

God works in mysterious ways.  He knows just what we need at the right time.  Happy Birthday little Wing. 

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

He earned this too... did not give one out last year. 

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

FYI.. you can get those shirts at six dollar shirts.com  Limited colors but worth it.

ReplyQuote
Share: