Notifications
Clear all

In a Nut Shell! PUSH THEM!

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Here is my Critique of tonight's Scrimmage.  Sent to all parents! 

Scrimmage tonight! Overall Grade C+

I am not disappointed by the mistakes! I knew we would make them! However, I am upset at the fact that we chose to go "Half Speed" for the first part of the scrimmage despite all of my Warnings against it! We stood straight up and waited for them to come to us and that, is a recipe for a loss! We did well on many plays but, any time we let down, it's an opportunity for the other team! Yes they were bigger, yes they are older but, you know how to do things I have taught you, the fact that you didn't remember or didn't do them, means I haven't done my job as a Coach! We will do these things Full Speed or we will run. Sound ominous (look it up)? You determine your own fate guys! We can either give 100% effort, battling all the way OR you can choose to give half an effort and RUN! Its your choice, take control of the practices! Lead and Listen. Work Hard! Play Harder!

Lead by example. Lead by talking to the next guy about what you should do. ASK QUESTIONS! DONT NOD YOU HEAD IF YOU REALLY DONT GET IT! Listen to instructions! Help Each Other Out!

Positives 2 Picks and 2 tackles for loss. 2 passes Completed and several runs for 5 yards! We just need to agree to work harder!

See ya'll Friday ready to rock and roll. Speed Test 100%.!

PORTA is ready to knock you on your butts. Are you going to let them?

Put a Chip on your shoulder for Petersburg!

Coach Scott

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Was I a bit rough in my assessment?  Not at all, in my opinion.  We have worked hard and should know better. 

Now I wont hesitate to back up the run all practice threat but,  rather than assume they understood what they were being taught defensively and about going 100%.  I decided to have a "group hug"and redirect. 

Tonight's practice:

Chalk Talk!  Spent 45 minutes drawing it up and talking plain English about run fits and zone drops.  Although we weren't terrible, I felt it was necessary as kids just didnt grasp concepts.

Run fits, Split Call (Either or both sides), Spread Call, Run Rotation.

Zone Drops, DE Read Call,

Playing the Alley
Triangles

Time went buy like a bullet.  Kids asked great questions and light bulbs were lighting all over.

Even had about 10 minutes to talk about some key plays on offense!

Puts me more at ease!

Sometimes its not bad to cool your jets and just talk things through!  Make sure we are all on the same page in the hymnal.  I don't feel like I wasted time at all tonight!

😀

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I don't feel like I wasted time at all tonight!

You'll know on Monday.  Or earlier.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Had to crack the whip myself this past week, their performance in the past scrimmage was an embarrassment for all, myself included. I owned up to my half, they have to own up to theirs as well. I try to be soft spoken with the kids but that didn't fly with this group. Had to go back to my USMC days on em.

We call it "Incentive Training"    😉

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Had to crack the whip myself this past week, their performance in the past scrimmage was an embarrassment for all, myself included. I owned up to my half, they have to own up to theirs as well. I try to be soft spoken with the kids but that didn't fly with this group. Had to go back to my USMC days on em.

We call it "Incentive Training"    😉

You Devil Dog You!  As the USMC says.  Adapt, Improvise, Overcome! 

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

You'll know on Monday.  Or earlier.

You Betcha!  At least now when the Crusty Ole Grouch bites their head off, they will know what I am talking about and expect! 

😀

ReplyQuote
Share: