Notifications
Clear all

Love my Little Green Friends

Page 1 / 6

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I read a lot on the Forum about tardiness or even kids missing practice sessions on a regular basis. 

We just dont have that issue after about the first couple of weeks or so in pre season. Ever.

Coaching Spring Ball this Season we have 21 players representing 7 Fall Teams plus one Rookie.

Some thought strolling in 5 minutes late would be OK. Nope. Being 15 minutes early is now the expatiation and the kids are getting this done now.

I received this email this morning.

Hey Mike,

I'm trying to find a way to get Styles to practice tomorrow with out him being late. (He's warned me about the Godzilla penalty for being late). My Mom can drop him off, but she needs to know how early she can have him at the field.....

Thanks,

Tara

Her Son will be 45 minutes early tomorrow.  🙂 Since the kids don't drive....gotta train the Parents.

This also applies to Coaches being late.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I wish my org would institute this policy. Instead we go with the kids can't drive themselves to practice excuse. And they wonder why are kids are late to games?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I wish my org would institute this policy. Instead we go with the kids can't drive themselves to practice excuse. And they wonder why are kids are late to games?

D

Our League has no clue what we do at Practice. We do this on our own and it WORKS !

I should mention...if you are late to a game....Godzilla on Tuesday. We don't do ANY Godzilla stuff on Game Day.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

D

Our League has no clue what we do at Practice. We do this on our own and it WORKS !

I should mention...if you are late to a game....Godzilla on Tuesday. We don't do ANY Godzilla stuff on Game Day.

Well we practice different than most. All of our teams start practice together.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I built three of these to use in Spring Training.  We run a slosh stick relay with them.  They were a tremendous hit with the kids.  I will be painting them green before using them again.  Then I can call it Godzilla races... LOL!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Well we practice different than most. All of our teams start practice together.

D

Then you can introduce your Little Green Friends to everyone !

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

So kid really wants to be there on time.  Mom/Dad have issues so it doesn't happen.  Kid gets punished?  That bright of a line at these ages?

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

So kid really wants to be there on time.  Mom/Dad have issues so it doesn't happen.  Kid gets punished? 

Yup

That bright of a line at these ages?

I'm not intelligent enough to know what that means but the kids and parents need to know they are involved with a team.
I think its called accountability
The sooner the kid and parents learn some things are not for everyone the better

*Edit*  You do realize you posted that in a "TEAM BUILDING" section right?

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So kid really wants to be there on time.  Mom/Dad have issues so it doesn't happen.  Kid gets punished?  That bright of a line at these ages?

A

Yep. Its real simple. Cant be on time 99% of the time....then why did you sign up?  Tardiness is not tolerated even if you had a flat tire. Wee weep....say hello to my Little Friend  8)

The idea is now the Parents will change their schedules to fit MY schedule. Period.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

*Edit*  You do realize you posted that in a "TEAM BUILDING" section right?

C

Godzilla is one of the better Team Building tools I have discovered. Been using them for 20 years now.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

M

That question was for Maliboo
Sorry should have wrote it better

I love Godzilla, its such a great idea

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

M

That question was for Maliboo
Sorry should have wrote it better

I love Godzilla, its such a great idea

Ah....

I will mention this...we have MANY "bright lines"....and they become much brighter as the kids get older.

Its why I rarely share how we run our practice sessions. Its a process but training the Parents is always the best Team Building mechanism. If you ignore this all they do is talk chit about you at the Dinner table. Some will anyway but they become the tiny minority real quick.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I would love to implement the Godzilla thing but for many of the parents and coaches at PSL it is flat out impossible to get to the field at 6. The field is just in such an awful location that we actually loose many athletes to other leagues because of the drive. PSL is a bedroom town so most folks don't work there and with the retarded busing that goes on here kids barely get home in time anyway. Some coaches asked to move practice to 6:30 but they would have to end at 8 regardless. Our board shuts the lights off at 8:01. Who cares if anybody can see when they leave...

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I would love to implement the Godzilla thing but for many of the parents and coaches at PSL it is flat out impossible to get to the field at 6. The field is just in such an awful location that we actually loose many athletes to other leagues because of the drive. PSL is a bedroom town so most folks don't work there and with the retarded busing that goes on here kids barely get home in time anyway. Some coaches asked to move practice to 6:30 but they would have to end at 8 regardless. Our board shuts the lights off at 8:01. Who cares if anybody can see when they leave...

You have lights?  😛

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

You have lights?  😛

Exactly! What are lights?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share: