Clear all

Mojo

Page 1 / 4

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Just wanted to share something.

Coach Potter takes some heat for what he stands for when it comes to teaching aggression. I've known Dave for years and we think alike but at the same time I am glad he takes the lead on this subject. Always a bit of a controversial topic. 

Before long we will start to see the annual Threads pop up....my team isnt aggressive enough so what do I do?

Gents...by then its really too late. Start now and create the proper atmosphere. Dont fear it....embrace it.

Maybe 5 years ago or so Dave posted up an Ad Campaign Video his youth Org produced. I am hoping Dave can post it up again if he reads this.

When my son and I watched it we decided we wanted to grow up to be just like Dave because he had taken Mojo to another level.

Last Monday in practice my Grand Daughter hit another kid so hard he left the field crying. These are 4th graders. He hasn't been seen or heard from since.

If my 9 year old Grand Daughter can grow up to be just like Dave....then so can you.  🙂

Food for some thought.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Shaggyd99
(@shaggyd99)
Bronze

Coach any suggestions on exactly how to start now?  Is there material somewhere we can leverage or threads to focus on?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Coach any suggestions on exactly how to start now?  Is there material somewhere we can leverage or threads to focus on?

Thanks

There is quite a bit of stuff dotted around on the Forum. Its never really been collected but should be. I'd do a "mojo" search using quotes. That might help. I'd also search "aggression" " whoes ball" "gauntlet" "PAIN". I'd also go to Daves profile ( Coachdp) then click on Show Posts and read. Then from there you can jump to a Thread that interests you.

I did this Clinic a few years ago on how I create an atmosphere.

http://coaches-clinic.com/recorded-clinics/football/general-clinics/team-building-through-regiments/

I would most certainly PM Coach Potter and ask him for his Drills PPTs and phone number. He is very generous with is time.

Its a philosophy that must start early on and continue until the very end of the Season. Its pretty amazing what begins to happen. For example our Players are auditioning to take on our Mosh Pit Regiment. This has been a tradition I have used for years. Whoever takes on this role is a Game Captain for the entire Season which carries lot of perks.  Personally Im heavy into team building and a hierarchy within the Team. That has always worked for me. The x's and o's are secondary.  Generally my teams will rip an opponents face off.....then share an ice creme with them afterwards at Dairy Queen.

Warriors on the Field, Gentlemen off.

Gotta teach em how to flip that switch and you cant start teaching this stuff on Sept 25th. Then you will become a fake to your boys more times than not.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Coach Potter's PAIN program made all of the difference for us last year. We weren't the biggest, fastest or strongest, but our boys played with attitude and just flat brought the PAIN right up through the championship.

Agree with you M, now is the time.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Coach Potter's PAIN program made all of the difference for us last year. We weren't the biggest, fastest or strongest, but our boys played with attitude and just flat brought the PAIN right up through the championship.

D

I watched your Championship Game. Very entertaining and PAIN is what won the game for you IMHO.

ReplyQuote
CoachRLG
(@rgriebel)
Copper

I love the Mojo, which has been instrumental in our success over the last three years.  I have also incorporated some nuggets from your Team Building through Regiments presentation, great stuff.  My kids love dumping the bag of grass on the field when the captains come out for the coin toss.  They get some funny looks.  A couple of years ago I did promise keepers and my OLB told me has was going to get 5 sacks in the game - I was like, hey, this has to be something you can really achieve, are you sure you want to go with that.  He was like "yep, I am getting five sacks".  Sure enough, in the 4th quarter he was going like a maniac and got his 5th sack.  He was still laying on the kid and looked over at me on the sideline and held up his hand with all five fingers extending  - letting me know he kept his promise.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Maybe 5 years ago or so Dave posted up an Ad Campaign Video his youth Org produced. I am hoping Dave can post it up again if he reads this.

Is this it?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Is this it?

--Dave

Dave

That's the one.  🙂 Thanks for posting it again. Now some of the newer Members can better appreciate your approach and your personality.

You wanna be aggressive as a unit? You all need to grow up to be like Potter.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Dave

That's the one.

I put out a pre-season DVD for our parents and would issue them at the Parents Meeting.  This was the one I put together prior to our 2009 season.  This allowed parents to not only see the end results of our approach, but also let them know how physical we played and how successful we've been.  I think it helped get the message out.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Where is said PAIN program found? Our boys need to find their mojo or we are in serious trouble.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Where is said PAIN program found? Our boys need to find their mojo or we are in serious trouble.

It is one of my programs that I don't have a PowerPoint for.  One of these days, I'm putting it all to paper.  But for now, if you want to call me, feel free.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Before long we will start to see the annual Threads pop up....my team isnt aggressive enough so what do I do?

Gents...by then its really too late.

Mike, you're right.  If you're already into your season and haven't yet introduced it, forget it...I doubt it can be done that season.  It's an indoctrination that begins with their first trip off the bus.  It's not a drill, or a series of drills, but a philosophy and approach.  And while I do have a 1,2,3 philosophy to what and how we introduce the approach and creating the atmosphere, you have to understand what you're after, recognize when you are/aren't getting it, and know when you're on or off course.  That can be tough when you're an inexperienced coach.  For instance, on my first day of C.O.D., we went 30 minutes.  Other coaches here, speak of introducing it with a 5-minute session, others still may be intimidated by it and refuse to introduce it at all.  But we jump in with 30 because we know what we're after and how to direct it. 

It's more art than science, but it works. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

It is one of my programs that I don't have a PowerPoint for.  One of these days, I'm putting it all to paper.  But for now, if you want to call me, feel free.

--Dave

Can you PM me your number again?

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze

Mojo has helped me so much this season so far. The kids show far more self discipline, will police eachother and hold each other accountable and show far more respect for us coaches then the team I had last year and all 27 kids have been to practice everyday which was unheard of on my team last year. The parents seemed to to have bought into it as well, I held a "facetime" meeting on Friday and asked for feedback and got a lot of positive responses from parents.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
coachgs
(@coachgs)
Gold

It's more art than science, but it works. 

--Dave

This.

I am a believer. I know plenty of good coaches dont believe they need it. In my experience, it turned a mediocre team into a great one(IMO). When the "mojo" regiment went away so did the wins. I would recommend to every coach which has that team that never gets the players we all wish we had, to prepare for next year to be a "mojo" team.

Gs

"Character is formed, not by laws, commands, and decrees, but by quiet influence, unconscious suggestion and personal guidance."
- Marion Burton -

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: