Notifications
Clear all

Motivation for Youth Offensive Lineman

erusjoh
(@erusjoh)
Lurker
Topic starter  

Hey Coaches,

Wondering if any of you could share your experience with motivating young football players, specifically offensive lineman. I’m a coach for 5th grade football team, we have had a lots of success this year, however we just suffered our first loss this weekend in a tough battle 10 – 6. I’m concerned that the OL, has lost their drive / focus, after watching the video of the game, our OL body language is very poor, energy level is low, and the boys faces during the game seemed like dazed and confused … During the season we try to keep things fun, practices have been pretty lite, focus more of technique on each play facing different defensive fronts… We achieved several goals in certain games through the season, where I challenge the team in certain areas with ice cream, or pizza after practice if we achieve our goals during the game, a couple times we didn’t achieve the goal, and got no reward. I guess what I’m looking for is if any of you have been in this situation, I could use some advice on how to get past this funk.

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

During the season we try to keep things fun

practices have been pretty lite, focus more of technique on each play facing different defensive fronts…

I feel like these two statements almost contradict each other. Hitting is what's fun. And you are probably confusing your linemen. What is your blocking scheme?

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
erusjoh
(@erusjoh)
Lurker
Topic starter  

Yes, good point 🙂  However, our blocking scheme is based on our formation / play, we use zone blocking 45% angle for most of our plays, other than dive & I-formation, which we use Drive / GOD rules.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Yes, good point 🙂  However, our blocking scheme is based on our formation / play, we use zone blocking 45% angle for most of our plays, other than dive & I-formation, which we use Drive / GOD rules.

What are drive rules? What do you tell them when teaching zone?

ReplyQuote
erusjoh
(@erusjoh)
Lurker
Topic starter  

It's pretty simple, e.g. if Zone Right, step right, person that crosses your face, they are instructed to double if the defensive person it driving that direction inside person, moves to take control of the block with his feet, the outside person slides off to the second level.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

It's pretty simple, e.g. if Zone Right, step right, person that crosses your face, they are instructed to double if the defensive person it driving that direction inside person, moves to take control of the block with his feet, the outside person slides off to the second level.

Well I was confused from your instructions, and confused players are slow players.

As far as getting them motivated, they generally take their attitude from their coach, so what is the attitude of the o-line coach? And the best drill I know is 3 cone. Get it from Michael.

ReplyQuote
Hurricane
(@hurricane)
Bronze

they generally take their attitude from their coach, so what is the attitude of the o-line coach?

I've been coaching 7-8 years and never really learned this lesson until this year.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

we try to keep things fun
practices have been pretty lite

I would say that the answer to your question is actually in the information you provided.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

We achieved several goals in certain games through the season, where I challenge the team in certain areas with ice cream, or pizza after practice if we achieve our goals during the game, a couple times we didn’t achieve the goal, and got no reward.

Leaving aside the "Will Block for Food" angle, what are your game goals for O-Line?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Share: