Notifications
Clear all

Offered Job

Page 1 / 2

topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Well i just got a call from the athletic director and a couple of school board members wanting to me take the high school head coaching position. I have only coached high school football for 3 years and was a offensive coordinator. I am currently weighing the good and bad. On the good side of the 22 freshmen who went out this year i have coached 15 of them of them There are 17 eighth graders and 14 7th graders i have coached. On the bad this school hasnt won more then 2 or 3 games in 10 years. I want to but the league they play in is tough and i think i could make the playoffs by year 4 but will they keep me that loing

GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Congrats on the offer! Are you a teacher? Do you mind telling me which state?

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze

You will never know if they would keep you for 4 years unless you take the job. If being a head coach is a dream of yours, now might be a great time to get it started. If you choose not to take the head spot, someone else will. Are you still going to be the OC at that point? Are you still going to have a job if a new HC comes on board? Having the players know you can be a plus if they liked you the first time around. What changes are you going to make in the program and how will they be received by the administration? Sometimes, the higher ups don't like losing but they don't want to make changes either.

All the best with your decision and keep us in the loop as to your decision.

We are all in this together.
Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Sounds like the Numbers are good coming up.  You already ahve an In with the kids.  Is there real weight (Pressure) or, is it perceived?  Assuming you already know the staff and who can do what. Similarly you already know if anyone wasn't following the "Program". 

Once you 'weed through' the staff and garner AD's support, then its  determining the System X's and O's, Player Strengths and Weaknesses.  In my mind, unless someone is watching over the program now, the deal needs to be done quickly so that they dont lax in the offeseason workouts.  That can kill ya.

Are you ready to take on the burden?  Is your family prepared to take on the burden? Sounds like a real challenge but, the reality is, there is nowhere to go but up!

I know great understated and oversimplified.

Good luck with your decision.

Dusty   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Kansas and im not a teacher and also im coaching for a rival school. Im waiting on the response back about my staff i have 2 coaches i want with me if i take the job. The only pressure is the kids that are sophomores who played in the same program i coached in lost 3 games all the way through until junior high. But they are not talented the youth coach they had was awesome and ran a offense that will not work in high school. The problem is getting some of these kids to buy into the offseason program. The coach they have now is a great coach just the kids dont listen. The other thing is where im coahing now the coach is going to retire and he wants me to take over where we are always above 500 and make the playoffs 8 out of 10 years. The question is do i want to start my own legacy

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Why has the new program consistently lost?  Is it a numbers game, a talent thing, bad support for the program or bad coaching?  You need to consider that you are now building a program and that you will need to be committed to that long-term and that the administration is committed to you as well.  If you have that commitment and feel like you can turn the program around, then why not?  Most jobs are open because there was a problem with the last guy and you rarely have a situation where you can come into a winning program with great numbers unless you were one of the Coordinators for a guy who is retiring. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

ran a offense that will not work in high school.

Doubt it. Just sayin'.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

ran a offense that will not work in high school.

which is???

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

How do you lead a h.s. program without being a teacher?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

D

One of the most successful HS Coaches here is not a teacher...he is the voice of the Denver Broncos Radio.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Im leaning towards taking the job and currently they are running the spread and im a I formation coach so i think im going to slowly incorporate my system by running the I with 2 or 3 receivers to keep some of the concepts the upperclassmen know and the younger ones know my system

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Antonio Pierce is HC of LB Poly. Granted it helps if you're a SB winning LB  😛

But my goal has always been to someday do that. It's not the easiest thing in the world but it is possible.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Topeka - this is the Varsity HC spot, yes?

And what is the offense the youth coach runs that "won't work in high school?"

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Yes not saying it wont work but with the talent i have at the high school level and there football knowledge I ran a I formation double tight with a wingback. The school has some speed that i need to adjust to and the biggest linemen they had this season was 215

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

you rarely have a situation where you can come into a winning program with great numbers unless you were one of the Coordinators for a guy who is retiring. 

If I read this correctly, that is the case where he is at.  Not to sure I wouldnt want to stay. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: