Notifications
Clear all

PLAYBOOKS

topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

How do you guys distribute playbooks i have done it by handing the full playbook and also have done it where i hand out portions of the playbook (at the end of practice i give them then new plays to know by the next practice)

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

We don't give out playbooks. They will learn it in practice. Usually, the ones that will learn the plays at home, don't really need the extra learning time. Don't have that many plays anyway.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

We have a playbook that we share with the kids online, but it only has formations, motions, pass routes, blocking rules, defensive formations, stances, etc.

We don't typically give them the actual play calls and diagrams because we have probably 50 different plays that we could run and we adjust based on opponent.  We will go through those offensive plays during the course of the week.  I wish we had fewer plays, though.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have never issued a playbook to any team at any level at any time.  We teach it all on the field.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I agree with the others.  I dont do Playbooks. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

The reason i ask is because we run various formations and all formations use the same plays. So what you guys are suggesting is just giving the players a playbook with only formations and motion? what i do with my playbook is mainly just formations motion and our pass plays

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

We are suggesting that you dont do anything with "Playbooks"

Teach the formations--Starting with Base Formation. 

This season I was a Winged -T team. 

I taught plays from Base, and Basic, Wing Offense.
I added things for the 2 x2 Formation and the Wishbone Formation.

Yes I was a Multiple formation Offense Rooted in the Wing-T. 

I gave out ZERO play books! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

One little idea I just thought of as security against leaks if you pass out printed pages: Don't number the sheets.  Opponents knowing what you have isn't nearly as important as knowing what you don't have.  Don't give anybody confidence they've intercepted a complete copy.

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input guys we decided not to give out playbooks. Thanks for all your input

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Teaching on the field is more effective than teaching on paper.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Our coaches don't even have them. Dave is correct. Teach on the field. Doing is better than studying. Most won't study it anyway.

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I have given them out before, just seems that the kids who are the better players are the only ones who take interest in them

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Last time I did it was when I coached a 8 & 9 year old team... I felt really silly while doing it, so now I don't do it anymore  ;D

One thing that is useful though is to have a playbook on the field so that you can show them the picture in the huddle.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I've tried it 3 times. All 3 were a complete waste of my time.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

I would also not waste my time giving out hard copies to the kids. But, I did Video Playbooks online for a couple seasons, got some pretty good feedback on here and from the kids.

I cut up the last season's highlights, put the name of the play at the bottom of frame, ran it once at full speed and once again at half speed. Added some music and goofy graphics for replayability. Hard to believe the kids in this video are all HS seniors and college freshmen now. I'm freaking old.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Share: