Notifications
Clear all

Player gets hurt on the field - team a little tramatized

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
Topic starter  

So during our game a player had an injury that caused the game to be stopped. Good news player will be fine but is done for the season. During the down time my kids were in tears and were upset. By the end they were eventually refocused but I am sure i will need to address it Monday.

Any advice on how to handle the situation other than  a player report ( yes he is doing fine....)

My boys are 10.

Thanks Gents!

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

So during our game a player had an injury that caused the game to be stopped. Good news player will be fine but is done for the season. During the down time my kids were in tears and were upset. By the end they were eventually refocused but I am sure i will need to address it Monday.

Any advice on how to handle the situation other than  a player report ( yes he is doing fine....)

My boys are 10.

Thanks Gents!

Make it a rallying cry for the team. "Jimmy cant be here, but the best way we can honor him is to play are butts off!"

They'll be fine.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CRM1241
(@crm1241)
Copper

Let them know all the hoopla - assuming ambulance or other frenzied activity - was precautionary, that extra steps were being taken to ensure he was OK.

We had an opponent airlifted during a Jr Pee Wee game a few years ago - he went to a knee to field a short kick off just as he was being hit, resulting in helmet to helmet contact. By the time he got to the hospital he was fine, but the kid who hit him was a bit freaked. I made sure to call our player at home when we got the news that the opponent was released to go home early that evening, and gave all of our kids email updates as well. We kept practice the same rather than easing off - I believe kids would pick up any tempo changes and the issue would linger. We ended up moving forward without any problem.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Agreed.  We had a similar situation this year and I immediately posted that the young man was sent to the hospital as a precaution.  Later in the evening I posted he had been released with a muscle strain. 

First and foremost you show that you are more concerned for their welfare (and we should be). Second we let folks know the outcome.  Transparency.  In all my years I have had but one injury that gave me cause for alarm.  I have had broken bones, serious indeed; but thankfully, not cataclysmic.  All returned to play other sports and the following season. 

A young persons body is quite resilient and recovers remarkably better than our adult bodies do. They don't have that sense of doubt we have.  To them many things, regardless of what we adults think, are minor set backs or annoyances. 

😉 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: