Notifications
Clear all

Pop Warner guys, is this really a rule?

Page 1 / 4

CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
Topic starter  

So I just sent out our welcome letter for the fall season. It included the section below, which got an immediate reaction from my Commissioner of "you can't do that, revise it right away".  So the question is, is it against Pop Warner rules for a coach to voluntarily have academic standards that are higher than what is in the rulebook? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that is true, just hadn't heard it before. Either way it's being changed because the Commissioner calls the shots, I was just curious what others thought.

Here is what I said originally:

The first thing I would like to bring to your attention are the academic requirements for your son to be a part of this team. All players on this team will be required to maintain a B average (80% on the Pop Warner scale) and the highest possible marks in conduct or face, at a minimum, a reduction in playing time or, in extreme cases, suspension from the team. If your son does not finish the current school year with the required grades, we will be in touch with his teachers once the next school year begins to make sure he is on track to get there at progress report time. In support of this program, starting today, I will make myself available for free tutoring in any subject to anyone who asks.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I really don't know the answer to your question. I think I understand what you are trying to do but I agree with your commissioner. Pop Warner makes the rules and that's what we are subject to right, wrong or indifferent. If you make your own rule that excludes players; then what is the point of Pop Warner making the rules?

I like the idea of holding kids to a standard above the minimum requirement. I think you can set some of those higher standards in other areas with your team but only where Pop Warner hasn't already set the standard.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
Topic starter  

Ya, I guess I get it. The idea is not to be to exclude players, but to keep the underachievers within the team structure while they get their act together.

But, I can see how that is a slippery slope or could be misused unless they put their foot down.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Should you actually be discussing the kid with his teachers?  Are they allowed to discuss him with you?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

No...thats a league rule probably...nationally there are academic standards but theyre most certainly not that high just to play

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
Topic starter  

Should you actually be discussing the kid with his teachers?  Are they allowed to discuss him with you?

I don't see why not. The conversation always happens with their parents in the loop. Usually its a discipline thing. If they want their privacy, I am happy to give it to them. They are coming to me for help.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Last I heard the standard was a 2.0?

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
Topic starter  

No...thats a league rule probably...nationally there are academic standards but theyre most certainly not that high just to play

So if they don't have it for the last school year, they are still on the team and play and practice like everyone. The deal they make with me is they get their act together by the time their first report card for the new year comes out. That is usually right around the time the playoffs start. Never had a kid miss it for academics. They get the message and ask for help. I've had a few miss it for conduct. That's a case by case basis in terms of what happens.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
Topic starter  

Last I heard the standard was a 2.0?

Right. We're setting a voluntary standard higher than that.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Right. We're setting a voluntary standard higher than that.

Good luck enforcing that.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Good luck enforcing that.

Do voluntary standards require force?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

All the time.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Good question. I would think that anything that requires enforcement is, by definition, mandatory (i.e.,involuntary).

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

man I like your mind!

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

man I like your mind!

Ditto That!

I applaud the effort of anyone that is attempting to stretch a kid in any way that's positive. It's too bad this world doesn't seem to support that process.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: