Notifications
Clear all

Season Over. Pool Party and Pizza

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

15 years of Coaching and Board Membership.  Season didn't go as planned or hoped.  Tiny Steps forward. 

Yet watching the kids do Goofy Dives off the board (some Major OUCH Belly Flops and Face Plants) and swat the beach ball back and forth in the pool, then devour 11 Pizzas was time well spent. Still, not so sure I'll be back to do this again next year.  Gas tank is on E, Battery wont hold a charge, and the Brakes are squealing.  Haven't been this drained after a season ever! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze

I hear you coach on how you're feeling! Care to elaborate as to why it was such a draining season? May help with the venting but also help other coaches learn from your experiences as well

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

15 years of Coaching and Board Membership.

Scott, that's a lot.  Maybe you just need a year off.  Maybe I do, too.  I dunno.  I didn't think I wanted to be a youth header this season and despite all the paperwork/papertrail that being a youth header is, I hate being an AC.  Love coaching my group of 12, but I want to paint the entire car, not just the bumpers.  Oh well, if you coach next year, good luck.  If not, enjoy the Harley.  That's what I tell myself, anyway.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I hear you coach on how you're feeling! Care to elaborate as to why it was such a draining season? May help with the venting but also help other coaches learn from your experiences as well

Gents, I submit that anything I put forth will sound like excuses.  I am not one for excuses.  Ultimately, the blame lies on me.  Its my job to teach and help them understand.  Help them be better.  Push them to change their perception of what they are capable of! Change that 40 Watt Bulb to a 100 Watt!  I believe, I failed to do that this season.  Not for lack of trying!  I changed a lot of things this year.  I knew we would struggle with some things.  I DID NOT change my Defense.  I have had great success with Jack's 6-3, I have also had good luck with JR's Split 4-4.  Even so we struggled to be consistent. 

My failing was Offensively.  I believed and still believe that a Change from the Ground and Pound to a Spread scheme was the best thing I could do for this group.  Way too many Mighty Midgets to over come the shortfalls we experienced last season with Double Wing. Mind you I did not go "ALL IN" and abandon the running game.  Power was a Staple of same.  That's the first play we tried to install.  A few messages and calls to Joe for some Ideas and guidance and I believed I was ready to install a rudimentary version of The Spread with RPO with Hot concepts.  After a few practices and games, I changed the Formation. I eliminated the TE as it wasn't working at all.  Not from a blocking perspective or passing either for that matter.  Added another back to the backfield and things seemed to change for the better.  All Smiles!!?? Nope! 

The best analogy I can provide is an Old Wall Clock.  Springs, Time, and Chimes.  Simple right?  If everything works yup! 

Except this clock kept lousy time, chimed at the wrong times, and stopped running , even when wound.  Get the time right by moving the pendulum up or down and still the chimes were off and the pendulum still stopped.  Get the time right, set the chimes to go off correctly, and it still stopped.  For those who think the Grass is Greener with something else.  THINK AGAIN!  Power is but one aspect of the game.  Hot plays were there and open, IF we ran the right pattern, If they called the right pattern.  Power worked, if we, blocked it correctly. Sweeps were hit and miss due to timing and depth.  Screens, were our bugaboo.  Fix one thing and another broke.  Fix that and something else didn't go right. 

Were there times when it worked?  YES!  That's when I thought we had "Climbed the Hill" and could start adding things.  Yet, we fell back to earth and had to start the foundation over. Frustrating! 

I used the Wall Clock analogy because I have a clock that my Dad made.  I inherited the clock and its beautiful but it didnt run right.  I spent hours staring at it, playing with it etc. Finally,  I took it to a repairman and got it back about 3 weeks week ago.  I have played with it since to set the time. It keeps time very well but hadn't chimed for years and contray to his assertions, it had not chimed since I brought it home. 

IRONICALLY,  as I was writing this, the clock just chimed for the first time at 9:15 and again at 9:30.  That, my fellow Coaches, sums it up nicely.  Because I care about more than a "W".  Because I want it to work, not for me but for them. I take the blame when things dont go right.  I give them the glory when it does!  Its that simple! 

The Moral?  Know your plan, work your plan, run your plan.  Hopefully, Westminster, will chime for you! 

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

As it happens.  The Clock Failed to Chime at 9:45 and 10:00.  And so it goes.

ARGH!  LOL

ReplyQuote
Share: