Clear all

Spin on Mahonz water bottles

Page 3 / 3

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Where's the update?

Maybe you should post film.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
Topic starter  

I did update yesterday!

Here is the last and final update.  Last day of practice for the week and they finally completed the task.  I gave them 4.5 minutes, we had a kid that was there yesterday that had been out all week with strep(sp?) throat, and a new player added to the team that did not make OBL weight for the younger division (..... all I have to say about that)

So they had to fit 2 kids in that had not particpated in the drill yet, threw a small wrench in the plan, but my leaders jumped on it right away and took care of it. 

I felt bad for the new player, he had been working the past 3 weeks with 7 and 8 year olds, and all of a sudden he was tossed up to the 9 and 10s, and we have a pretty good sized team, before we started, I introduced him real quick, and the kids welcomed him right in and embraced their new team mate. 

Anyways, back to the drill, they had it down, the leaders were giving out the direction, the kids were getting to their spots, they had the process down.  They were done in less than 4 minutes, I knew they had it right, so I tried to rattle them a bit and second guess, told them are you sure?  you still have 30 seconds left if you want to make any changes.  They were confidant, they had double checked prior to telling me they were done. 

When I told them they had it right they all cheered, they felt like they had accomplished something (because they had) and I am sure part of the cheer was they had avoided the punishment for failing.  So I talked about the drill with them then.  I told them in the matter of 4 days, you were able to accomplish something in 4 minutes that you could not accomplish in 9 on the first try.  Then I asked them why do you think that is?  It was a rhetorical question, but most of them were eager to give an answer.  I explained that on the first day, there was a lack of communication, leaders were not vocal enough, there were too many different groups going on, there was not a team working to achieve a common goal.  Then the next day, you stopped the clock at 6:22, things were better, you worked better together, our leaders began to find their voice and bring the team together as one, those are the big things, and we were starting to do them right, but there was a little thing that tripped us up (having the Ramirezes in the wrong order) and like we talk about, we have to do the little things right, thats where the close games are won or lost.  The next day they were done even quicker, the leaders had really staked their leadership roles and were owning it and the team was rallying together even more.  But again, we were tripped up by the little thing (those darn Ramirez kids, not related by the way) and because the little things are so important, we failed again.  And then we came to Thursday, you were given half the time, had a player show up for the first time all week, and then right as I am about to say begin, we get the kid moved up to us for not making weight.  2 wrenches ready to mess up the machine.  I explained to them how our team concept has been so strongly developed that what could have been the wrench to throw everything off and cause failure, ended up not even being an issue, getting the 2 kids into their spots was taken care of without an issue and we did not miss a beat and we succeeded. 

I was glad they celebrated completing it.  And surprisingly, I had a parent come up to me after practice (they were well within ear shot of this discussion) and tell me he thought I was crazy for wasting time on doing that, but then when you explained what happend as the week went on, and why you were doing it, I was like damn, that was not a waste of time that was actually a brilliant thing you had them do.  I jokingly said, brilliant wasnt a strong enough word and I told him that was my first time doing that, and I am glad he had positive feedback from a parents perspective, I believe strongly in developing the team concept and I think it really succeeded in doing that. 

For me, it is a keeper. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

That was awesome.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

They will have another chance today, and every day until they figure it out, with the consequence of not achieving success getting harsher each day. 

What did you do for consequences?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
Topic starter  

First one was pretty easy, a very long lap around our entire practice area.  I was unable to get to practice in time to set up, so it allowed me to set up while they ran.  One of my ACs led them on the lap. 

The other 2 days we did ladders of varying activities.  Bear crawls, sprints, squat hops.  Each day tougher than the last.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I had my Junior Midget team do this last Friday at the end of practice. I gave them the instructions right before we did the circle of death. It may have given them extra time to think about it but I wanted them to complete the task while exhausted. I didn't want to give them the time to recover while I explained it. I gave them 8 minutes to complete it and the clock started immediately after COD. They completed it in 4:25. I was impressed.

We have a 25 man roster with 2 sets of brothers. They were just about to say they were done when a kid yells, "wait, what about the brother's? Do we have their first names in the right order?" I hadn't even thought about that. It came down to 2 kids taking leadership and everybody else falling in line. I am happy.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
Topic starter  

I had my Junior Midget team do this last Friday at the end of practice. I gave them the instructions right before we did the circle of death. It may have given them extra time to think about it but I wanted them to complete the task while exhausted. I didn't want to give them the time to recover while I explained it. I gave them 8 minutes to complete it and the clock started immediately after COD. They completed it in 4:25. I was impressed.

We have a 25 man roster with 2 sets of brothers. They were just about to say they were done when a kid yells, "wait, what about the brother's? Do we have their first names in the right order?" I hadn't even thought about that. It came down to 2 kids taking leadership and everybody else falling in line. I am happy.

Thats impressive, what age range is JR Midget?  Nice job!

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Junior Midget is 10,11,12 95#-155#. You can play at 13 if you are 135# or under. We have no 10's and only 6 who are 11. The rest are 12& 13...so for us it's a few 6th graders and the rest are 7th & 8th graders.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: