Notifications
Clear all

Team Building to the nth Degree

Page 1 / 3

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Well its that most wonderful time of the year again ! This season I thought I'd make a better attempt to try and head off the boo hoo whoa-aze me threads that are imminent when it comes to Team Building and Aggression.

Being a successful Team is a unique endeavor for us. Has been for 20 years now.

Success only comes consistently if you create a successful atmosphere from day 1 thru day 101. Success isn’t measured in wins alone. It is measured in so many other ways.

We place little stock on X’s and O’s and fundamentals. We place 100% value on the atmosphere we create and it has never failed. So…probably what you might think helps you win games...really does not.

We coached a new team last season in a new Org. We didn’t know anyone. All but one of our players has signed up to play in 2013. Plus we have 17 players in the Draft requesting our Team. The Draft is this Saturday. We have no clue who these kids are but it all comes from word of mouth within the community. Yes we won a Championship last season but another Team in our Org in our same age group has won one and lost one and they imploded this off-season.

I have been down this path before in other Orgs. The teams I have coached have had an absurd retention rate even when the W/L record may say otherwise.  Its because we create a Football Family during the season.

Winning is only considered successful if you build that Football Family within your Team in my very strong opinion. Do that and winning takes care of itself. One must lead the other.

It’s a very popular Topic on the Forum this time of year so I decided to do a Clinic for Rob on the Subject and how we go about it. It is an accumulation of ideas I have picked up from other teams and coaches over the years and have been refining since the early 90’s.

Taking Ownership
Alpha Males
Captains for Life
Player Hierarchy
Godzilla
Order with Purpose
Agilities Routine
Awards
The Rope
War Paint
No Player Left Behind
Promise Keepers
Banners
Breakdowns
Discipline
Regiment

All….WAY more valuable to our Team than any System or skill sets. The Systems we run pleases me first and are not designed for the talent. Their skill sets I could care less about because we work overtime at player placements changing positions all the way thru the season until we find the right formula. So…I don’t stress on talent.

The things I have seen from the players over the years and then later on after they move on…amazing. Talent will eventually show up and every kid that has ever played this game for me was good at something to include the worst athlete I have ever coached.

The Clinic is only 5 bucks. If you don’t start in on your own Regiment from day one….it will be too late. And you don’t have to be insane like my son in the Video…I taught him everything and I’m not insane. I only included game day stuff.  You simply need to keep pounding on your message and maintain your Atmosphere and I will tell you it is exhausting. Some accomplish this thru drills ( Potterball ), others the pace and organization of their practice ( Cisarball )  but we do it via a specific Regiment that includes the serious mental exercises of Team Building. 

You will notice on the film that the players do not have individual nameplates on their jerseys but rather their Team name. To the players they are a Team…never an individual. We also never allow a player to wear Number 1.

It’s all part of the psychology of playing as One.

Regiment = Confidence = Aggressiveness = Nasty Team. There is nothing nice about the game of football so we teach them how to flip that switch. Then…. its ON ! Literally.

http://www.coaches-clinic.com/index.php/clinics/general-coaching-clinics/39-team-building-through-regiments

What is beautiful, lives forever.

shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze

M,

Great Presentation,  I watched recorded version tonight.

On Promise Keepers:  How much time did you allot on the last practice each week?
Also, you mentioned if they say I'm scoring 6 TDs you obvously must step in and
give them a better example?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

M,

Great Presentation,  I watched recorded version tonight.

On Promise Keepers:  How much time did you allot on the last practice each week?
Also, you mentioned if they say I'm scoring 6 TDs you obvously must step in and
give them a better example?

Thanks.

S

About 10 minutes depending on team size ( 20 kids...30 seconds each ) and yes we direct them to be realistic....they get it really quick. At the first one we just tell em straight up...be real.

Some of the things I have heard over the years....blows me away....in a good way. Promise Keepers has become my favorite part of practice. Since it is always on a Friday for us and at the end of practice we have a full compliment of Parents present so we allow them on the field to listen....from a distance.

You can begin to tell that most of them have been thinking about their promise to their team for a while.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Success only comes consistently if you create a successful atmosphere from day 1 thru day 101.

We place 100% value on the atmosphere we create and it has never failed. So…probably what you might think helps you win games...really does not.

This is one of the most overlooked points in coaching successful football.  I can not coach unless the atmosphere that has been created is a successful atmosphere.  We have to create a situation where high expectations, excitement, passion, intensity, demands and hard work are not negated by negativity, low-expectation, walking through practice, etc.  The table has to be set (by the coaching staff) for success every day.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

This is one of the most overlooked points in coaching successful football.

--Dave

Dave

WITHOUT QUESTION !

Guys roll their eyes at us sometimes... on the field and on these Forums but this stuff works.

Now that we have added the Crunch Bar Award...the Helmet Sticker whiners seem to have disappeared.  😉 😉

So thank you for that !

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Guys roll their eyes at us sometimes... on the field and on these Forums but this stuff works.

--Mike, coaches roll their eyes at me so many times I think I'm talking to Barney Google.  I just accept it that I will always be a "coaching outsider."

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

How can you be a coaching outsider if your HC never let's you have any input?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How can you be a coaching outsider if your HC never let's you have any input?

Chris, not understanding what you mean(?)

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Chris, not understanding what you mean(?)

--Dave

As in I have wanted to do all these things but never have been given a chance to do so.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

As in I have wanted to do all these things but never have been given a chance to do so.

Oh...

First of all, you don't get to do what you want to do until you are a head coach.  I was a header for 14 years and I no longer determine how/what/when.

Secondly, I wouldn't advise anyone to try or want to be an "outsider."  It is certainly the more difficult path to take.  Even on this forum, there are really very few coaches who buy into what I have to say.  Mainstream is the way to go if you want to have credibility.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Oh...

First of all, you don't get to do what you want to do until you are a head coach.  I was a header for 14 years and I no longer determine how/what/when.

Secondly, I wouldn't advise anyone to try or want to be an "outsider."  It is certainly the more difficult path to take.  Even on this forum, there are really very few coaches who buy into what I have to say.  Mainstream is the way to go if you want to have credibility.

--Dave

I want to do things my way. I am not worried about main stream.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

It is a tough road to pave though. Our intensity is not what DP's is but I think our attention to detail is 2nd to none. Parents and kids think we are crazy early on. They wonder how this stuff applies to winning football games. Those people obviously don't understand the game. We have a bunch of new kids this season. We sat them down and explained that we don't have a bunch of plays others don't know about. We just run them better than those 2-6 teams or even the 7-1 teams. It is the attention to detail that makes that happen. One thing we are starting to see is when one group does up downs the others are starting to do them also. This is something we look for them to figure out for themselves. We do everything as a team. We also move as a team in a very disciplined manner and weigh in with mouths shut and eyes straight ahead. They are to talk to NO ONE unless a coach or league official ask them a direct question.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

It is a tough road to pave though. Our intensity is not what DP's is but I think our attention to detail is 2nd to none. Parents and kids think we are crazy early on. They wonder how this stuff applies to winning football games. Those people obviously don't understand the game. We have a bunch of new kids this season. We sat them down and explained that we don't have a bunch of plays others don't know about. We just run them better than those 2-6 teams or even the 7-1 teams. It is the attention to detail that makes that happen. One thing we are starting to see is when one group does up downs the others are starting to do them also. This is something we look for them to figure out for themselves. We do everything as a team. We also move as a team in a very disciplined manner and weigh in with mouths shut and eyes straight ahead. They are to talk to NO ONE unless a coach or league official ask them a direct question.

So when one part of the team does up downs the whole team does up downs? I dig it but that would never fly where I coach. I am not even supposed to give up downs during indies.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

It doesn't happen right away. It is starting a little faster this year though. It is something we want the kids to start on their own as we stress unity. It starts out with a position group doing it together then a whole unit and then finally the whole team volunteers to be punished together. It doesn't mean as much if you force it as a coach.

You aren't allowed to do up downs????

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

It doesn't happen right away. It is starting a little faster this year though. It is something we want the kids to start on their own as we stress unity. It starts out with a position group doing it together then a whole unit and then finally the whole team volunteers to be punished together. It doesn't mean as much if you force it as a coach.

You aren't allowed to do up downs????

Saids it was taking away from reps. No we can do them, just didn't want me doing them right then.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: