New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 17, 2020 2:14 pm  
Posted by: @mosleythecat
Posted by: @mahonz

@mosleythecat

Congrats on the migration! 

Couple of questions. Can I change to a black background or do I have to wear my sunglasses on the Forum? 😎 

• I may make background a little darker, but the people spoke and this is what they liked

Not quite as easy on my eyes as the light on dark option that was one of 4 (?) the old board offered, but not as bad as the default on the old board.  Should be better once I get this cataract out.

One problem I've been having is that once I select Reply With Quote and I'm editing the quoted matter, then unless I've already established a little bit of writing past the block quote, I can't move the cursor out there.  Is there a Reveal Codes option, i.e. some way to edit the code in addition to the WYSIWYG?

I don't suppose there's any option for branching threads (i.e. subthreads), is there?  I don't know of any fancy board software like this that allows that, only the simpler-formatted ones.

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin
Maryland
January 17, 2020 2:55 pm  

One problem I've been having is that once I select Reply With Quote and I'm editing the quoted matter, then unless I've already established a little bit of writing past the block quote, I can't move the cursor out there.  Is there a Reveal Codes option, i.e. some way to edit the code in addition to the WYSIWYG?

I don't suppose there's any option for branching threads (i.e. subthreads), is there?  I don't know of any fancy board software like this that allows that, only the simpler-formatted ones.

@bob-goodman

I don't seem to be able to replicate this first issue. I will look into the code editor though.

Can you give me an example as to branching threads? Do you mean put replies into another thread once things start going off-topic?  If so, I have that ability as an admin, and likely the Moderators (who I have yet to set up) would be able to do that too.

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin
Maryland
January 17, 2020 3:02 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

@bob-goodman

I was able to replicate your issue by accidentally backspacing into the blockquote section. Try clicking the {;} icon, and that should take you to the source code.

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 17, 2020 5:58 pm  
Posted by: @mosleythecat

Can you give me an example as to branching threads? Do you mean put replies into another thread once things start going off-topic?  If so, I have that ability as an admin, and likely the Moderators (who I have yet to set up) would be able to do that too.

The way Usenet works.  The way Reddit works, except I don't think it allows renaming the subject.  The way some blog comment threads work.

For instance, somebody's writing in a thread about X.  As part of the discussion, Y comes up.  One of the participants then makes a subthread of the replies to the message concerning subject Y.  The poster has the option of renaming the subject Y; commonly they'll write the subject line as "Y: was X".  Instead of the thread's being hijacked, there are then two threads, one replying concerning X and the other concerning Y.  In Usenet (I think it's part of the NNTP definition) the branching can go on infinitely, but on Web boards there always seems to be a limit to the branching.

However, I've never seen this on a board where the quoting is in rectangle insers like here, only in ones where the quoting is via ">" or other indenting styles.  The thread and its subthreads can be scrolled down indefinitely, with the user following the indenting to see who's replying to whom when the quoting doesn't make it obvious.  However, if the subject line is altered by the posters ("Y: was X" or whatever), then the newsreader (NNTP client program) can break out the subthread into a separately indexed file.

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin
Maryland
January 18, 2020 2:25 pm  

@bob-goodman

Both the admins and moderators can do that if we are alerted that a thread is heading somewhere else. I need to get me some moderators though...

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: