Back in the youth g...

Notifications
Clear all

Back in the youth game

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

Been a few years since I last coached youth. I made it to a varsity head coach position two years ago at a small 8 man school. Had a great bunch of warriors, but we had to forfeit several games because of injuries. We couldn't keep guys on the field as injuries plagued us the entire season. I was hired in very late, so we didn't have enough time for much off-season strength and conditioning which I'm sure was a major part of our injury issues. We played a few of our games with exactly 8 players knowing we were just one injury away from having to forfeit the game. These boys were true ironmen playing both ways every single play of almost every game. Toughest kids that I've ever coached. We ended up with 2 wins, but had to forfeit 5 games because of injuries including our first game in which we were leading with 7 minutes remaining. Last year, the school co-op with a larger school, so we had no team. To me it was a big mistake on the school's part. I had 5-6 kids returning including our #1 ball carrier who ran for over 700 yards in the games that we did play. So we only would have had to recruit another 3-4 players. As it was, the team was disbanded and only 2 of the kids ended up playing on the co-op team. So I didn't coach last season. Now I'm back with the youth program that I started with 11 years ago. It appears that I will be head coach of the 5th-6th grade team. A lot has changed since I was last with this organization. New board. As for what will affect me and the team, it sounds like they've really cut back on practice times. This group would always have 5 days a week practices for 2 hours. At the first meeting I attended I was told that it's now 3 days a week for an hour and a half. I did get them to extend my group to 2 hours. So my first challenge is going to be how to get my team ready for its first game with only 9 practices, 3 days a week for 3 weeks, at 2 hours each. Our program is presently in the process of doing sign-ups and is still looking for coaches, so as of now I still don't know how many will be on my team, nor do I know how many coaches I will have. Practice starts Monday, August 23rd. I'm looking forward to getting back into the youth game, and hope that my journey as a coach will make it a rewarding experience for my players. 

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Nice!

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.” 🤣 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  
Posted by: @youth-coach

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.” 🤣 

Well, obviously when it comes to coaching, if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all! On Monday, the board decided to cancel the tackle football season due to lack of numbers. The league has a rule that teams must have at least 15 players per team AND that a team must be able to field both a 3rd/4th grade team and a 5th/6th grade team, or it cannot participate in the league. That means that even if you have enough players to play at one level, but not enough to field a team at the other level, then you cannot participate. (Really! Who comes up with these rules?) Anyway, we apparently do not have enough to field a team at either level which is sad because this team has traditionally fielded teams of 25-30 kids per level. It seems that the year of no team because of Covid as well as the powers that be continuing to scream "Head injuries, concussions" has impaired the ability of this team to achieve its normal numbers. So I guess the plan is to create some flag teams for all levels because two 1-hr. a week practices is going to teach them the fundamentals (Note sarcasm). Anyway, I will not be coaching. In fact, I am now calling it quits for good. I did put in for a Jr. High coaching position at the school where I work, but if I do not get that position, I AM DONE! It's been a nice 10 year run, and I got to coach at every level. Hopefully, I was able to give my athletes more than just football knowledge. Hopefully, I gave them something that would help them to become more responsible, productive men in the future.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Sorry to hear that Vince. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I dont understand the mentality either Vince.  If we weren't allowed to combine age groups we would not have any Tackle Teams.  Personally I dont see any issues with 4-5, 5-6, or 7-8 playing on the same teams.   Hopefully you will get the Junior High Position.  

Never say never.  Recharge! Rejuvenate!   Relocate!  LOL   Good Luck

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@vince148 - Sorry to hear that, coach. There's nothing worse than getting ramped to get after it and then be told it's not going to happen!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

Vince148 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

There's nothing worse than getting ramped to get after it and then be told it's not going to happen!

Tell me about it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

School's back in session. Found out that I did not get the Jr High position, so I am officially retired from coaching. I have some books that I purchased over the  years that I will be selling. Unless where otherwise stated, they are $8 which includes shipping. Certified check or money order only. PM me on here. I'm giving you first crack at them before offering them elsewhere. Thanks for helping me these past 10 years.

Single wing books by Keuffel, Reed, and McAdams.  These are all $12                                                                                                             

Complete Offensive Line by Trickett.  $12                                                                                                                                                   

Coaching The Pro 4-3.                                                                                                                                                                     

Slanting Monster Defense by Foster.                                                                                                                                                           

Complete Wing-T Offensive Line.                                                                                                                                                       

Winning Football With the 4-3 Defense.                                                                                                                                               

Wing-T from A to Z, Vol. 2.   $12                                                                                                                                                               

Bone and Shoot Attack.                                                                                                                                                                 

Coaching the Multiple 4-3 Defense.                                                                                                                                                 

Coaching Youth Football Defense by Reed.                                                                                                                                         

Secrets of the Split T Formation by Faurot                                                                                                                                       

Offensive and Defensive Line Play by Gomer Jones                                                                                                                           

Building a Championship Football Team by Bryant                                                                                                                           

Coaching Youth Football by Reed                                                                                                                                                         

Power T Football by Andros and Smith                                                                                                                                                   

The Split Line T Offense by Gaither                                                                                                                                               

Oklahoma Split T Football by Wilkerson                                                                                                                                                 

The One Back attack by Criner and Sosnowski                                                                                                                                           

Coaching Football's 46 Defense by Ryan                                                                                                                                                 

Football's Simple Six by Schnake                                                                                                                                                           

Robust Football by Jim Smith                                                                                                                                                         

Football's Attacking 46 Bear Defense by Ratledge                                                                                                                                   

The Hurry-Up No Huddle Offense by Malzahn                                                                                                                                   

Modern Defensive Football by Jones and Wilkerson                                                                                                                         

Football's Attacking Combination-60 Defense by Kenig                                                                                                                           

Vince Lombardi on Football, Vol 1 and 2    $18                                                                                                                                       

The first buyer will receive the 4-4 Defense 4ever by Jimmy Grant (A very basic book that I just purchased for about $7, but not really worth the paper it was printed on.)

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Vince148

ReplyQuote
Share: