Notifications

How Did You Get Into Coaching?  

Page 6 / 6
  RSS

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
December 7, 2013 5:18 am  

I think I got into coaching because everyone felt bad for me at my high school.  I was asked to come back and coach after graduating.  I was temporarily paralyzed from the neck down and missed half my senior year.  I was being recruited by a decent number of schools.  Among them were BC.  After the neck injury almost all the recruiting stopped.  I was full of pride as well.  I turned down a scholarship to a D2 school and snubbed any D3 schools that expressed interest.  It was great to coach though right out of high school.  It really ignited my passion for coaching.  Still ended up playing a little college ball 4 years later though at the worst D3 program in the nation.  I was not so full of pride any longer and ended up getting an offer from Bowling Green after I went an visited them and recruited myself.  Unfortunately eligibility squashed that opportunity.  I had a career ending injury the next season anyway.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold
December 10, 2013 1:38 am  

Wisdom doesn't always come with experience, but when it does, one should listen and take notice.
Thanks for sharing both with us Coach MountJoy.
Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
December 18, 2013 9:46 am  

I think I got into coaching because everyone felt bad for me at my high school.  I was asked to come back and coach after graduating.  I was temporarily paralyzed from the neck down and missed half my senior year.  I was being recruited by a decent number of schools.  Among them were BC.  After the neck injury almost all the recruiting stopped.  I was full of pride as well.  I turned down a scholarship to a D2 school and snubbed any D3 schools that expressed interest.  It was great to coach though right out of high school.  It really ignited my passion for coaching.  Still ended up playing a little college ball 4 years later though at the worst D3 program in the nation.  I was not so full of pride any longer and ended up getting an offer from Bowling Green after I went an visited them and recruited myself.  Unfortunately eligibility squashed that opportunity.  I had a career ending injury the next season anyway.

Sorry to hear about that- happens a lot

Nebraska offered a player by the name of Zach Darlington- a QB, he verbaled before the season started
He sustained his second concussion in 3 month period
He was life flighted out of game etc
He never played another snap this year
By many accounts he wasn't going to play another down
Nebraska said they didn't care if he played football or not, the offer was still good

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
December 18, 2013 10:21 am  

Sorry to hear about that- happens a lot

Nebraska offered a player by the name of Zach Darlington- a QB, he verbaled before the season started
He never played another snap this year
By many accounts he wasn't going to play another down
Nebraska said they didn't care if he played football or not, the offer was still good

did his dad stay and coach the rest of that game?

i don't have kids yet so can't imagine balancing that situation as a coach / father - would have to think it's a situation where you put the headset down and return to father mode.

real shame - kid was a heck of a player.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
December 18, 2013 10:44 am  

Dad stayed, mom went with
Game was on ESPN- both were USA Today top 20 teams at the time

Zack is enrolling in January and will be participating in SPring ball. Who knows what God has in mind for him
Rick and his 9 family members will be staying with me and my family when they come up to enroll him, should be fun  🙂

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
December 18, 2013 10:56 am  

yeah i watched the byrnes game - just couldn't remember whether rick stayed or not. obviously no one could blame him either way.

good stuff though - classy move by nebraska.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
seeindouble
(@seeindouble)
Gold
December 18, 2013 2:34 pm  

Saw that, very scary moment.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
December 18, 2013 2:42 pm  

Yep the team fell apart after that happened
He was the emotional leader of the team
Very tight group
Great kid- fantastic family
NU was so impressed with Zack, they wanted him here even if he wasn't going to ever play a down

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: