Notifications

New here  

RSS

ChuckLeonidas
(@chuckleonidas)
Copper
November 4, 2013 2:53 am  

Hello I'm new hear. Got into youth football 3 years ago because I've always been a x and o junkie. Started as an DC for a programs that lacked size and talent in the 12u group. Made the best of it and squeezed out 2 wis that year but I had a blast coaching those kids up, it was awesome and I knew I was book despite a losing season. My 2nd year I was ask to become the OC but had to help install single wing based on the head coaches request. It was a disaster, the kids didn't by into I and I felt the HC made the blocking and play to complicated. In the mean time I was installing a read option package for our 2 athletes which consisted of 3 plays, a Dive, Dive Read, and Bubble. It was pure base blocking and backside tackles knew to never block the ends. The kids loved it and it's the only reason we won 2 games. Year 3 (this year) the HC/commissioner stepped down and no one wanted to volunteer for this (didn't blame them) so after going 4 months without anyone stepping up I decide to take on this task to save the program. I became the 12u HC and commissioner. I made immediate changes to give the program a new vibe (changing to all blue uniforms, wacky socks, and etc). It was me and 2 other assistance, they handled the defense and I handled the offense. They installed a 4-4 and we spent the 1st month and all of out scrimmages stressing fundamentals and just doing your responsibility. On offense i went with a "Diamond Gun Close" , most people questioned the depth of the up back and us going no huddle uptempo but after going 7-1 and locking up a 2 seed and now in the 2nd round of the playoffs for the 1st time in the programs 35 years history the parents and players have totally bought in. I'm not a raw raw kind of coach, practice are very laid back with corrective learning on the fly and alof of positive reenforcement. A lot of my beliefs have been questioned and some of the parents had concerns for a while like the fact we don't stretch (before practice or games), my laid back demeanor,  donuts after shutouts, and numerous other challenges that I faces because they were use to doing things the old way and watching the old HC scream and yell all practice long. It's been a learning experience but the kids are having in and now the parents are too.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 4, 2013 3:16 am  

I became the 12u HC and commissioner. I made immediate changes to give the program a new vibe (changing to all blue uniforms, wacky socks, and etc).

--Wacky socks?

donuts after shutouts

--I see what you did there.  Nice.  lol

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
November 4, 2013 8:07 am  

When turning an ORG. around, don't start w/ socks & uni's then say ECT. after that.  Lol.  I've beat the dog crap out of teams w/ pretty uni's and brand new fancy helmets. 

No stretching is interesting.  We had 4 pulled muscles in the first month of the season.  And we stretch.  The really fast kids are the ones you have to worry about.  All 4 pulled muscles were studs.  But, if it's working for ya thats cool.

Curious how you know what the parents think of what you do, and what they think about the depth of your FB?  Or no huddle offense?  I haven't the slightest clue what our parents think of such things.  Where does one obtain such information?  All i ever hear is something like "man, when you guys do that thing where you fake here then give there then block and score... man thats awesome!"  Never had a parent attempt to discuss my FB depth w/ me or the tempo of our offense. 

Congrats on the success by the way.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 4, 2013 8:12 am  

No stretching is interesting.  We had 4 pulled muscles in the first month of the season.  And we stretch.  The really fast kids are the ones you have to worry about.  All 4 pulled muscles were studs.

Jake, what's your stretch routine?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
November 4, 2013 8:18 am  

We had 4 pulled muscles in the first month of the season.  And we stretch.

Jeopardy Theme

🙂

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
November 4, 2013 8:27 am  

Jeopardy Theme

🙂

🙂

ReplyQuote
ChuckLeonidas
(@chuckleonidas)
Copper
November 5, 2013 2:53 am  

When turning an ORG. around, don't start w/ socks & uni's then say ECT. after that.  Lol.  I've beat the dog crap out of teams w/ pretty uni's and brand new fancy helmets. 

No stretching is interesting.  We had 4 pulled muscles in the first month of the season.  And we stretch.  The really fast kids are the ones you have to worry about.  All 4 pulled muscles were studs.  But, if it's working for ya thats cool.

Curious how you know what the parents think of what you do, and what they think about the depth of your FB?  Or no huddle offense?  I haven't the slightest clue what our parents think of such things.  Where does one obtain such information?  All i ever hear is something like "man, when you guys do that thing where you fake here then give there then block and score... man thats awesome!"  Never had a parent attempt to discuss my FB depth w/ me or the tempo of our offense. 

Congrats on the success by the way.

Most of the 12u parents have a ton of football IQ. I speak with them often after practices. I'm more surprised with 2 of the moms, one knows the techniques of the d line and she's pretty good with offensive knowledge as well for a single mom. It's pretty awesome. I keep an open line of communication with my parents, players, and coaches. I don't want to just be a "coach" but some one they can come to outside of football if they are having a tough time at home etc. It's been a fun experience for me honestly.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 5, 2013 4:05 am  

The really fast kids are the ones you have to worry about. 

I had a kid break his collar bone from a Juke, fastest kid on our field
He cut so fast he heard a snap, xrays came back with a cracked collar bone WTH ???

He was never contacted by any player

He came back late in season and lit up the field.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold
November 5, 2013 7:03 am  

I had a kid break his collar bone from a Juke, fastest kid on our field
He cut so fast he heard a snap, xrays came back with a cracked collar bone WTH ???

He was never contacted by any player

He came back late in season and lit up the field.

with gasoline or Christmas lights ? :p

Helmet Decalshttp://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 5, 2013 9:25 am  

Turbo charged fuel injected christmas lights with N2O

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold
November 5, 2013 9:41 am  

Turbo charged fuel injected christmas lights with N2O

NICE!

Helmet Decalshttp://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
November 5, 2013 10:11 am  

Most of the 12u parents have a ton of football IQ. I speak with them often after practices. I'm more surprised with 2 of the moms, one knows the techniques of the d line and she's pretty good with offensive knowledge as well for a single mom. It's pretty awesome. I keep an open line of communication with my parents, players, and coaches. I don't want to just be a "coach" but some one they can come to outside of football if they are having a tough time at home etc. It's been a fun experience for me honestly.

Thats cool.  Most of my parents don't know the first thing about football.  The ones that know anything think they know more than they do. 

Anyhow, sounds like you guys are having a great season.  Best of luck to you in the playoffs and welcome to the board.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
November 5, 2013 5:58 pm  

Jake,

This season was the first time in four years I was in the stands.  I can assure you it is a different beat of the drum up there.  It is a very opinionated area that in my belief will never be satisfied with what you do or run scheme-wise. There are lots of low spoken comments being said all the time.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
November 5, 2013 7:14 pm  

Jake,

This season was the first time in four years I was in the stands.  I can assure you it is a different beat of the drum up there.  It is a very opinionated area that in my belief will never be satisfied with what you do or run scheme-wise. There are lots of low spoken comments being said all the time.

Oh i know.  I sit in the stands for a lot of games and do the same crap.  Lol.  I can hardly stand watching some teams.  When i was scouting the other day i just about lost my mind.  I couldn't take it anymore and just had to leave.  When their doing good i'm the first to compliment, but man i cant help but pick apart everything they do if it's wrong.  I'm not a fun person to watch a game w/.

ReplyQuote
Share: