2017 City Champs 8u

Notifications
Clear all

2017 City Champs 8u

dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

To the longtime members I just wanted to share the good news. Our team won the City Championship in a thriller overtime game. Sometimes you just catch lightening in a bottle and this was one of those years.
I'm the first coach in the picture with the blue hat on.

a little history
I have been a long time user on the boards back to the infosports days. A lot of games, time off and no games have taken place between then and now. 
3 years ago as a HC I thought I was going to win a city championship. I had the best team in the league. Number one defense and top offense in the league. We got complacent and lost in the 2nd round of playoffs in a triple overtime game by one point by the eventual city champion. I gave up my team after that I was so disappointed. Took time off and forgot about coaching. Had a few inquiries to help a couple of teams out but nothing materialized.

Fast forward to this past August. A beginning coach whom I knew was still coaching this year and he was having to coach the 8u team by himself. He asked for my help and I reluctantly said yes only because I didn't want to see him out there by himself. I missed most of the summer and preseason practices. By the time I got out there all offensive/defensives schemes and starters were in place. Plus the coach had picked up a defensive coordinator so I was essentially a water boy. At the beginning.

we started out terrible and couldn't keep up with other teams. But we got better and got hot at the end of the season.
I will go into more details later on some of the things we did and the whole story. I just want to enjoy this past Saturdays victory.

A big thanks to DC, Mahonz/MoJo,  Dave Potter/TeeTime and aggression drills.

Donald

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Rock n Roll old friend !!!!

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have been a long time user on the boards back to the infosports days.

--Infosports?  Gadzooks, that's a while back.

we started out terrible and couldn't keep up with other teams. But we got better and got hot at the end of the season.
I will go into more details later on some of the things we did and the whole story. I just want to enjoy this past Saturdays victory.

--I'm all ears.  Sounds like a heckuva story.  Congratulations on the season!

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
Topic starter  

When I say our season started out terrible this what I meant. We couldn't tackle, scared to hit, kids out of position, and no heart( kids would literally fall down when the runner/tackler came near them).

2 preseason games
Game 1 Lost
Game 2 Lost
7 regular season games
Game 1 Lost
Game 2 Lost
Game 3 Forfeit -Other Team Cancelled
Game 4 Lost
Game 5 Won
Game 6 Forfeit -Other Team Cancelled
Game 7 Lost
Wildcard Playoff Game #1  Won
Playoff Game 2 Vs. #1 seed Won (24-6)
Championship Game  Won (26-25)

Championship game- Our kids were hitting unbelievably hard. Kids were crying on the other team. at least 4 timeouts in the first half by the refs.. The biggest hit of the game  came in the middle of the 1st half on the other team’s top running back. He was getting hit by 3 of our kids on every run.  On one run outside to the strong side we strung it out and the kid was hit by our weak side linebacker(fastest kid in the league) near the side line. It was a loud hit. That's when all heck broke loose. The running back got so angry and full of rage after the hit that he rolled over and grabbed my player by the facemask. He proceeded to violently bang our players head into the ground at least 8 times before we could stop it. That kid went berserk like he was trying to rip his head off 😮 Flags went flying everywhere.  The side ref immediately tossed the kid. BUT the white cap said "hold on, there is a certain way we do things. we just can't kick the kid out without a discussion."...I lost it  I'm like he needs to be out of this game and there is nothing to discuss. For safety reasons our boys will not come out until that kid is out. Eventually the kid was kicked out of the game. Our player sat out a couple of plays crying because  he was shaken up so bad. However he went back in.

Half time We were up 12-0.
In the 2nd half we stalled out on our 1st series. They ended up scoring. We punted on the next series. They ended up scoring. They ran the wishbone and the full back lead off tackle was gouging us. All week we talked about hitting the fullback on lead blocks. No matter meet him in the hole, inside shoulder and drive. The kid was a load and kept opening up a hole.

End of 3rd Qtr Score was 12-12
We couldn't get anything going in the early 4th. We punted and played defense.
Here comes the freight train and caboose again.  chipping away. They were going back an forth between trips and wish bone.  When the ran the FB lead out of wishbone there was a big collision in the hole between our inside linebacker and their big FB. Crying and grimacing he had to go for a few plays with a hurt wrist.  They eventually scored without him out of their trips formation QB keep.  They were now leading 19-12.

Their big FB also plays middle linebacker on defense ;D Their big full back came in the game but I knew we had to take advantage of the of the situation since he wasn't 100%. It was 4th and 15. We went trips right QB 16. We put our hardest hitting linebacker in the game at wingback. He had to make the block on their mike backer. Oh boy did he. We picked up 35 yards and a first down. The hit on the mike backer was such a good block that the kid had to leave the game after a referee timeout. The opposing coaches tried to get the kid up off the field to play but he couldn't stop crying. He was done for the day.
We eventually scored on trips right 16 again. We scored the XP on trips right QB sneak.
The score was 19-19.
They get the ball back but they lose yards on every play. We are in full attack mode

End of regulation time score was tied 19-19. The game goes in the overtime. College rules.

The other team wins the toss but decides to give us the ball first. We come out in trips right and run qb14. The we score the XP on the same play.
We are up 26-19.

They come out in trips running the qb sweep left. They eventually score. 26-25.
They go to trips for the XP. Having scouted the team we knew he was doing to run that QB sweep to his sideline.
Down, set, hut. The QB takes off at sprint to the expected pylon. For a minute, it looks like a clean lane to the corner. Out of nowhere comes our star running back/outside linebacker and drills the kids out of bounds. They ball carrier lays out of bounds withering in pain. He did not get in.
For a minute, I was dazed and confused. I thought he scored. I saw a big pow wow on their side lines then I saw the refs running off the field.
Game Over. 26-25 we win

The HC made a speech after the game and the DC said a few. As the OC ( yes I was eventually promoted from assistant water boy) I said a few things. Didn’t want to steal spotlight from OC so I kept it short. I reminded the team how we talked about being tough and making the other team cry. I told them I was proud of them for not giving up no matter how bad our record was before the playoffs.

Rewind to Summer: By the time out I got out to the practices the first game was a week a way. Everything was set in stone, positions, defense, offense and coaching positions. Being the assistant I focused  on teaching technique when I could, toughness and time organization. I could tell without toughness no matter what scheme we ran these kids would get hammered. With only a few returners we had to teach technique. We needed all the time we could get could waste time.

I asked for 10 minutes to do sumo drill at the end of practice. The first day I lost my voice. It was like Ali vs. Frazier. The first time  the kids were timid but after the 2nd day they got tired out losing. It became quick and fast paced and the kids loved it.

Next week asked I for 10 minutes to do Tee Time instead of sumo. The first day I nearly had a stroke. The kids would jog around the cones and then stop when making the tackle. I lost my voice again. I was clapping and yelling. Two kids would hit but the rest were big teddy bears. We came along slowly in this drill. I wondered if it was too much. The first day everyone wanted to run the ball. The next day only the 3 top hitters wanted to run the ball. But we kept at it. I did it just like the guy in Potters video. I talked smack, I had the kids talking smack. It was like WWE out there. They kids were still timid but the loved it.

The first preseason game was an eye opener. With no lead responsibilities I just watched the backs and linebackers/Defense ends.  I saw kids falling down on purpose when the ball came their way. I saw the DE run completely to the other side of the field pretending to be chasing the runner. I saw a QB fall down when about to get hit. I saw a QB that would call his own plays to run. I saw running backs look at a fumble without trying to get it. I saw a center snap the ball half way up to avoid getting hit(no nose guard either). I saw the Kick off Return team watch the ball roll in front of their feet. I saw lineman on the KO team walk down field. I saw linebackers running backwards on the snap. I saw DL 10 yards down the field avoiding the block.
The good...;I also saw one O lineman drilling his man. This kid was also the starting safety on defense running everything down wth :o.. One DL was standing up and chasing the ball tackling like a truck. One corner was a hitting machine but not much action out wide so his hits were few and far between.
We lost first game 31-6

To be continued.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I could tell without toughness no matter what scheme we ran these kids would get hammered.

--Preach it.

The first day everyone wanted to run the ball. The next day only the 3 top hitters wanted to run the ball.

--You'll certainly find out who really wants to run the football in that drill.

I did it just like the guy in Potters video. I talked smack, I had the kids talking smack.

--I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Canes,

You are giving Potter a run for his money on your game recaps. That was riveting. Great stuff!

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Share: