Notifications
Clear all

2022 6th Grade Outlaws

Page 11 / 13

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @troy

...I can tell you all my sad tales, 1-7 seasons. Drunk parents. Liar parents. Depleted rosters. The worst is never having won it after 18 years. I'm the frigging Dan Reeves of peewee football. It eats me up. But when I was feeling sorry for myself the other day, you said something that gave me a moment of clarity. You said, "you're not just in this for the trophy, are you?" No, I'm not. And that totally changed my attitude. YOU ARE APPRECIATED. YOU ARE NEEDED. all I ask is that you give it some time.

Lots of arrows flying thru the air this season and they are all hitting Lar...on two separate teams. Cant say I have ever seen anything quite like this before. Our sideline was a hot mess today. I feel terrible for him.

You may be the Dan Reeves of peewee football but Lar is the Vance Joseph of peewee football because we do have good weeks of practice. This week was particularly good because attendance was near perfect. 

I shouldn't joke. Our friend is really down right now. Hopefully he reads this with a smile. 🙂 🙂 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

24 hour rule . . . more or less. Things are no better. I've gotten words of encouragement from people I respect and care about and they mean a lot.

Got an email from a real "Karen" of a mom yesterday informing me that what happened is "not okay" and "not acceptable" and how the AC's behavior was embarrassing to her, then going into the increased yelling lately, etc. I replied, "24 hour rule. I haven't read this yet. If you still feel this way about it tomorrow, please re-send it". She came right back with "Read it at 11am because I'll still feel that way"

I replied, "Okay, so you won't follow the 24 hour rule. Neither will I" and I unloaded on her. Main points:

1) Phrases like "not okay" and "not acceptable" are used by people in authority. She has none.

2) Situation with the AC is being dealt with. That's all she needs to know.

3) I find it amazing that she feels the need to tell me that what happened is embarrassing. Who the hell does she think is most embarrassed by it?

4) This football team is not about her. Hard for her to accept, but she is nothing. She contributes nothing. In fact, her net contribution to the team is in the negative.

5) If she can't keep her comments to herself, she'll be asked to leave the sideline. I am simply unwilling to continue to do this if it means listening to any more of her nonsense.

6) I won't yell at her son anymore because I no longer care about his improvement/development. If my demanding approach to constantly correcting a lazy, coddled kid who rarely makes it to 3/3 practices per week is unacceptable (there's that word again) to his helicopter mother, then I will put him on the 10 play minimum and leave it up to him to earn more. I made it clear that this is the direct result of his poor effort and lack of preparation, which in turn is caused by his inconsistent attendance at practice. In her follow up email, she of course spun it to "punishing my son because I sent you an email you didn't like". I reminded her that SHE is the one who called her son a "pussy" in front of him. I may yell a lot, but I've never called a player that. 

7) She is a direct contributor to my state of mind vis a vis not wanting to return next season.

8) I do not want to have any further conversations with her via any media. If she needs to inform the staff about the status of her son, she has been instructed to go through the team manager. Of course, this would be too difficult for her. She emailed me back the next morning to tell me she's going to speak with the club about me punishing her son for "being honest about the situation".

So now, I'm waiting for our club pres to call me. I need to call both coaches to tell them they are no longer on the staff. I also need to tell AC1 that he will be banned from all football activities. I need the pres' okay before pulling that trigger. Then I need to call AC1's ex-wife to tell her what's going on and talk about how to address this with their son.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Regroup.

Called off today's practice. I need some time away from this. The fire seems to be out. I guess the good news is that I'm starting to watch film and think about football a little. 

We'll practice Thursday and Friday. We have a scrimmage on Saturday. Looks like 2 kids are out. One planned a mini-vacation because we had a BYE scheduled. He's also nursing an ankle injury. He had to be carried to the car after Saturday's game. They scheduled this before I announced a scrimmage. That's forgivable. The other is the Karen Mom who I got into it over email. She told us her son would be out with no other explanation. I happen to know they are doing younger brother's birthday party that day. Leaning toward reducing his minimum plays (10) for the next game. I can play him less than 10 for discipline and/or attendance. On the one hand, this was on the calendar as a BYE. On the other, she told me 10 days ago, he could participate if the scrimmage was held earlier in the day. Playing time must not be too important if he'll miss a scrimmage for little bro's birthday party, especially since Karen Mom indicated they could do both.

3 other kids are nursing injuries. All 2 way starters.

1) pulled groin - on crutches yesterday. No idea if he can go yet.

2) concussion - Dad says he's "right as rain" and going to play

3) Sever's disease in his heel and Osgood-Schlatters in his knee. Same leg. Wants to play, but depends on how he feels.

Mahonz sent out his revised depth chart for defense. It would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic.

Down 2 coaches, I've decided that the offensive coaches will help on the defense. This means we all need to get hot on the calls and responsibilities.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Well, hell.

The 2 guys that I benched for lack of effort, actually acquitted themselves well on film. I'll apologize to them in front of the team and tell them they've earned their place on the field. One made a mistake and argued about it, which really triggered the double benching, but there were plenty of mistakes to go around. Karen's kid . . . will ask him to convince Mom to let him play in the scrimmage instead of "pin the tail on the donkey". 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Well, hell.

The 2 guys that I benched for lack of effort, actually acquitted themselves well on film. I'll apologize to them in front of the team and tell them they've earned their place on the field. One made a mistake and argued about it, which really triggered the double benching, but there were plenty of mistakes to go around. Karen's kid . . . will ask him to convince Mom to let him play in the scrimmage instead of "pin the tail on the donkey". 

I made it to play 32 out of 102. 🤮 

You should just fire me tonight. My players have no clue. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Okay. This season has officially gone off the deep end. One of the best (top 3 out of 19) teams was kicked out of the league today. Behavior during and after the game was the issue. We were scheduled to play them in the last week of the season. So we are now officially 5-2 with 2 forfeits. Due to a weird strength of schedule formula, we will likely leap frog a couple of teams and go from the middle of D2 to the bottom of D1 for the playoffs. We are possibly the worst 5-2 team since some guy at Yale picked up a soccer ball and ran with it.

No forfeits in 23 seasons, then 2 in 1 season. 

My dad sometimes says, "If I'd have killed him when I first thought of it, I'd be out of jail by now". The league has been talking about ejecting this club for years. I guess they were hoping they'd straighten themselves out. My dad also says to put hope in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one fills up first.

Our once mighty league is a damn joke and I think I've earned the right to say that.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Years ago, the idiots always stood out of the bunch.  Now they just blend in with the rest.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co I wouldn't necessarily agree that the league is a joke. They have been taking action on issues this year which encourages me.

As far as the suspended team goes, there is a ton of speculation and rumor about harassment, roster violations, brandishing firearms, picking fights, following people home, throwing objects, felons on staff, threatening players and coaches, dirty play, etc. I don't know about most of that other than hearsay. What I specifically have direct evidence of was hostile and unsportsmanlike but didn't warrant a league suspension or even a forfeit. I think the league had another compelling legal reason to do this that is not public knowledge. Nothing has been communicated by the league other than showing their remaining games as forfeits. That strikes me as a legal maneuver.

The league seems to have let this go on for too long, and then something happened last Saturday that forced them to act.

Saturday will be interesting. I wonder how many angry people will be there to make a scene now that they have nothing to lose.

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

@gumby_in_co I wouldn't necessarily agree that the league is a joke. They have been taking action on issues this year which encourages me.

As far as the suspended team goes, there is a ton of speculation and rumor about harassment, roster violations, brandishing firearms, picking fights, following people home, throwing objects, felons on staff, threatening players and coaches, dirty play, etc. I don't know about most of that other than hearsay. What I specifically have direct evidence of was hostile and unsportsmanlike but didn't warrant a league suspension or even a forfeit. I think the league had another compelling legal reason to do this that is not public knowledge. Nothing has been communicated by the league other than showing their remaining games as forfeits. That strikes me as a legal maneuver.

The league seems to have let this go on for too long, and then something happened last Saturday that forced them to act.

Saturday will be interesting. I wonder how many angry people will be there to make a scene now that they have nothing to lose.

Two of their players used to play for us. I just read one of the Moms FB thread on the subject. 

My eyes are burning. It now seems to have become a demographics issue involving race and wealth against AR and BR which somehow tends to be the default argument in these cases. No clue how AR is involved. 

The whole race card thing just makes me wanna barf. 😡

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

That is why I say they are a joke. Wait until it hits crisis mode, then use the nuclear option. This has been brewing for years.

My kids will have only had 6 regular season games this year. Asked for help finding a replacement game. "That's not how it works. Deal with it. Best of luck for the rest of the season." 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Had an interesting scrimmage Saturday. A team from a different league hosted us on a beautiful turf field with the Boulder Flatirons as a back drop. We were missing several 2 way starters, including both of my remaining WBs, so this was a day to get lots of reps for the new WBs/RBs.

Defense looked MUCH better. We had a few coverage lapses that resulted in scores.

Offensively, they couldn't stop the DW with our back up WBs.  We couldn't get anything going on ACE. Too many guys out of position. Didn't execute and couldn't protect the QB. Beast was opening giant holes as usual, but our backs just lacked the experience to exploit them. They kept us out of the endzone, but had I committed to DW in a real game, I doubt they could have stopped us, especially with our starting backs.

The "interesting" part:  A team from this other league joined our league this year. Their coaching staff was shocked at how much more physical our league is compared to their old one. We like to think we are among the more physical teams in our league. In the scrimmage, a lot of their guys were helped off the field. Their staff was starting to get upset about this. There were 2 plays where they really confronted us: 1) our man-child OG forklifted their DT into the air and dropped him straight on his back. "HEY! THAT IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!". I didn't see it, but assumed it was after the whistle based on the reaction. OG is my nephew, so I pulled him aside and asked what happened. He said the kid was punching him in the stomach and my nephew just got tired of it. My brother in law was on the field with me and saw it. He said it happened 100% within the play. So I just told my nephew that this is a friendly scrimmage, so may not power bomb (WWE move) any more opponents.

Later, at the end of a play, an opposing coach got really hot and went after one of my players, "DID YOU PUNCH HIM!????? DID YOU PUNCH HIM??!!!". I turned to my player and asked, "Did you punch him?". He had tears in his eyes and said, "He hit me after the whistle", which to me was an admission of guilt. I pulled my guy aside and said, "We always play within the rules and never retaliate". Then, opposing AC started yelling, "WE'RE DONE HERE!".  By now my player was bawling. One of our parents called over to me and said, "He went like this" then mimicked a back hand smack to the chest. Think 2 little kids in the back seat and one smacks the other.  I asked my player, "You did this?" and gave him the back hand smack. He said, "Yes". I replied, "Oh good grief. I thought you went Mike Tyson on him the way the coach reacted."

No big deal to me, but what chaps me:

1) Multiple face masks on tackles. I didn't say a word.

2) DE's and LBs getting tackled to the ground by their "blockers". I didn't say a word.

3) Their DT tackling my pulling G. Even heard the coach say, "Remember, if he pulls, grab him around the legs." Didn't say a word.

4) We were using down markers and I got them to jump on "No play" twice. Their staff, "OH C'MON, REALLY?!!!". Yeah. Really.

Still had fun.

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper

4) We were using down markers and I got them to jump on "No play" twice. Their staff, "OH C'MON, REALLY?!!!". Yeah. Really.

Still had fun

I love No Play.  We're running ours this year with a tap QB sneak if the defense doesn't jump.  My qb isn't huge, but is deceptively strong and it's good for 3-5 yards a pop if the defense is sitting back on their heels from No Play.  

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

our man-child OG forklifted their DT into the air and dropped him straight on his back. "HEY! THAT IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!". I didn't see it, but assumed it was after the whistle based on the reaction. OG is my nephew, so I pulled him aside and asked what happened. He said the kid was punching him in the stomach and my nephew just got tired of it. My brother in law was on the field with me and saw it. He said it happened 100% within the play. So I just told my nephew that this is a friendly scrimmage, so may not power bomb (WWE move) any more opponents.

--If it's within the play, then why not?

Later, at the end of a play, an opposing coach got really hot and went after one of my players, "DID YOU PUNCH HIM!????? DID YOU PUNCH HIM??!!!". I turned to my player and asked, "Did you punch him?". He had tears in his eyes and said, "He hit me after the whistle", which to me was an admission of guilt. I pulled my guy aside and said, "We always play within the rules and never retaliate". Then, opposing AC started yelling, "WE'RE DONE HERE!".  By now my player was bawling. One of our parents called over to me and said, "He went like this" then mimicked a back hand smack to the chest. Think 2 little kids in the back seat and one smacks the other.  I asked my player, "You did this?" and gave him the back hand smack. He said, "Yes". I replied, "Oh good grief. I thought you went Mike Tyson on him the way the coach reacted."

--If you didn't see it, then you shouldn't react to it.

No big deal to me, but what chaps me:

1) Multiple face masks on tackles. I didn't say a word.

2) DE's and LBs getting tackled to the ground by their "blockers". I didn't say a word.

3) Their DT tackling my pulling G. Even heard the coach say, "Remember, if he pulls, grab him around the legs." Didn't say a word.

--Good.  Nor should you, because your kids need to see what it is to play against a team like that.  It's a valuable lesson for your guys.

4) We were using down markers and I got them to jump on "No play" twice.  Their staff, "OH C'MON, REALLY?!!!".  Yeah. Really.

--Why the drama?  Your kids always need to work on "no plays" when you get the chance.  And your opponent needs the opportunity to learn to keep from jumping off-sides.  If they don't face it in a scrimmage, how will they react in a game?

Still had. fun.

--Sounds Like.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I believe the personality of most any Team mimics their Coach. 

This Coach was one ginormous pussy and not very honorable

Did you notice just his DC on the field at the beginning? Then you started gashing him so he came out on the field himself and started moving his guys around and telling them to grab the feet of any pullers. 

Funny....when you asked me after a Defensive play....why is William in our secondary? ( William plays DE ) and I told you.... he got blocked really well.....he actually got grabbed around the waste and whirly whip thrown backwards by their TE. I asked him a few plays later why he allowed that to happen.

Coach it surprised me....wont happen again. 

Made me wonder how they get thru any games with Refs. Its was wild how blatant they were. It was like watching first graders play. 😎😎

But I did have fun. Thanks for putting this together. Better than sitting at home wondering how in the F after 35 years at many levels and never experiencing a single forfeit.... we now have had 2 in one season.

This season just needs to end.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by mahonz

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper

Posted by: @mahonz

I believe the personality of most any Team mimics their Coach. 

This is true... but now it has me worried thinking about my practice last night... During Team O, I ripped a really loud one and told my offense that's what I thought of how they ran their last play.  Granted, their execution did improve, so maybe it good coaching after all.

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 13
Share: