Notifications
Clear all

2022 6th Grade Outlaws

Page 13 / 13

Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

You guys showed them the video breakdown. Kids got called out for giving their teammates the finger with irrefutable video evidence. That is a huge leap forward in player accountability. HUGE! It's too late to affect major change this season, but I think doing this in August will reap big dividends for you next year. We've been doing these for years and it works!

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Well, if this is going to be my last post on Dumcoach . . .

Lost round 1 of the playoffs. We should have been in D2, but because of a forfeit by a top 3 team, we ended up in the 8th and last seed in D1. This put us up against the #1 seed and best team in the league. 

Score was 39-0. We are just out-horsed and out-classed. Their TB was basically toying with us. 2 things could have made the score a little more respectable. 1) Not giving up a PR for a TD. Not to say we would have stopped them defensively, but . . . 2) Better clock management on my part at the end of the 1st half would have denied them a score. I simply got too caught up in what I was trying to do and didn't pay attention to the clock.

The good:

We won the mojo score 3-0. Some of our guys got hurt and had to come out, but they came out under their own power. That means a lot to me and to all of us.

We fought hard to the bitter end. We almost denied them a final score. One of our players absolutely rocked their back up RB at the pylon (mojo). Then, we fought like hell to keep them out and they barely scored with time running out. Took them 3 attempts and a timeout. BTW, I told the opposing coach to give us his best and not worry about running up the score or whatever. Treating us like an opponent for the entire game is the best sign of respect.

So what's next?  This team needs a major shake up. After watching our scrimmage partner (whom we beat last season) take Troy to the wire, I realized that there is just something missing with our guys. There is simply too much acceptance of being mediocre. We need new blood. Finished with 19 health bodies. I want at least 25 next season. Expect 2 of our best players who had season-ending injuries to come back, so that's 21.  I have 2 kids who need to go (brother and sister). Sister has no business on a 6th grade football team. They both come from 45 minutes away and really need to play closer to home. That brings us to 19. I expect at least 2 to leave for greener pastures, maybe more. I expect a few to leave after I send my updated attendance policy along with "this is what will happen if you miss practice". So, I may have room for up to 10 new players. They may be duds, but based on the other newer teams in my club and their results with picking up random new kids, we should pick up a little speed, but more importantly, fresh attitudes. Our message has gotten stale with this group. Our "starters by default" need to be pushed.

Banquet on 12/3 and maybe an org meeting or two. Other than that, self imposed exile on football until May.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Banquet on 12/3 and maybe an org meeting or two. Other than that, self imposed exile on football until May.

One thing you have accomplished the last few years is creating relationships with opposing coaches. 

Translation = What will be the name of your new tackle Spring League? 😎

Play 8 man for starters. Straight up NFHS Rules. All Grade based so age means nothing. Easy to verify. No weigh ins. No BS boundaries.

Between all of the JYFA Orgs you will find 4 teams per division from 4th - 8th grade for starters so everyone plays each other twice with a bowl game at the end. Grow from there so eventually no double games. All games played on Sat and Sun at AW, Pomona and RV so you have full control. Refs vetted and hired by you. I have Robert Wilsons contact info. Done deal. . Then you can rent parks for practice and charge participation fees per team for all overhead so it does not turn into an Independent chit show like Mile Hi did. They had a good thing going and blew it. 

Look at how many teams played Flex two years ago only to destroy it in one year. 

Provide jerseys in the fee with each team wearing an opposing color. Everyone wears white or black pants. Helmets are whatever color you want even miss matched. Mascots are up to each Team. 

Provide all insurance in the fee.  

Hook up with Denver Athletics so that teams can get stuff at a discount. Strength in numbers. Do not allow teams east of I-25 to participate until you get to a certain monument growth wise. Allow teams to charge whatever registration fee they want as long as they can pay your participation fee.  

The only reason you are fried right now....you have no control. So....control everything. 👍

Let me know when you want to get started. You need to start marketing. Flyers on cars at the Carnation Bowls would be a good start. 

And finally and by all means....charge more than you need and pay yourself even if its $1000. Honestly I cant think of a better man to do this and you need this. You need a hobby.  You can only hunt a fish so much before you go insane in the membrane. You have way too much energy to ever go silent so Im calling bullchit. 😊

The MOJO Football League has a nice ring to it.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

The MOJO Football League has a nice ring to it.

Oooo! Sign me up for that!

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

Translation = What will be the name of your new tackle Spring League? 😎

You funny.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co BTW, I told the opposing coach to give us his best and not worry about running up the score or whatever. Treating us like an opponent for the entire game is the best sign of respect.

^ This x 100.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 13
Share: