Clear all

2022 6th Grade Outlaws

Page 3 / 13

J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@gumby

This guy has an ego issue.

The "lawnmower" pull should be permanently put to sleep anyway. We all want our kids moving parallel down the LOS on pulls of any kind in any offense.  I have never heard of an offense that doesn't want that. On a pull for kick-out we actually want them pulling into the LOS. The lower half of the body does all the work if you don't fight it...like your crossover step.

Why in God's green earth would you have a kid make a motion with his upper body (pulling the lawn mower cord) that would take his body's momentum backward? Not to mention, other than getting on the move as fast as possible, there is nothing in those first 2 steps that will impact the block that is going to happen 4-5 yards away from where you started.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seabass

@gumby

The "lawnmower" pull should be permanently put to sleep anyway. We all want our kids moving parallel down the LOS on pulls of any kind in any offense.  I have never heard of an offense that doesn't want that. On a pull for kick-out we actually want them pulling into the LOS. The lower half of the body does all the work if you don't fight it...like your crossover step.

Why in God's green earth would you have a kid make a motion with his upper body (pulling the lawn mower cord) that would take his body's momentum backward? Not to mention, other than getting on the move as fast as possible, there is nothing in those first 2 steps that will impact the block that is going to happen 4-5 yards away from where you started.

Perfect timing on this, Seabass. I'm considering dabbling in the skip pull. Any experience with that?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@gumby_in_co 

I don’t have any experience using the skip pull…wish I could help. I have used the shuffle pull effectively. I liked it when our guards could wrap pull while staying square to the LOS. We’re going to have a discussion about that this off-season as we’ve gone away from the shuffle pull.

You being a hockey probably understand better than most how powerful and explosive you can be driving in a lateral direction by pushing off the inside of your foot…that’s skating. Regardless of how you pull, the explosiveness off the ball is 80% of the deal and that’s all dictated by the back leg. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co 

I don’t have any experience using the skip pull…wish I could help. I have used the shuffle pull effectively. I liked it when our guards could wrap pull while staying square to the LOS. We’re going to have a discussion about that this off-season as we’ve gone away from the shuffle pull.

You being a hockey probably understand better than most how powerful and explosive you can be driving in a lateral direction by pushing off the inside of your foot…that’s skating. Regardless of how you pull, the explosiveness off the ball is 80% of the deal and that’s all dictated by the back leg. 

Just as well. I fixed a lot of pulling issues last night by a) coaching them to keep their shoulders square to the LOS b) using the "towel drill", which is actually now the "flag drill". For some reason, I have a bag full of flags (flag football). I put them on my pullers and told the WBs they had better pull the flags within 4 yards and told the pullers they had better not have their flags pulled. I don't know if it's a fluke, but our 5th grade girl (pulling TE) out-ran the 2nd fastest kid on the team (WB).

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

In this medium (which is the most inexact of all), there's no shame in failure because of your drive, determination and dedication.  That's the real victory; that you pursued him.  Most won't, and that the sad part.  NO coach has the key for every player and you're right; the players do bear some responsibility.  But his parents bear the most responsibility.  And trying to fix something after years of neglect and/or abuse can still result in failure regardless of how noble our goals and how hard our pursuit.  If the child didn't learn anything from this...there's the pity.  But I'm betting you have learned tons, especially about yourself.  And that's a good thing.

--Dave

Dude had a rough practice last night. He did "better" in MOJO drills, meaning he didn't try to hide. Then, he actually sacrificed his body covering an onside kick (scout). I let the whole team know I was happy with that. Then, he was playing OT on our punt and simply let a big/fast/strong right in. I let him have it on that one. Next play, he blocked in the wrong direction, which I pointed out (loudly). He then proceeded to argue with me like it was obvious that "his guy" rushed to the left, so he HAD to block him to the left. That was pretty much it, because we have a standing rule that no Outlaw is allowed to change their job without first discussing it with the coaching staff. So he was pretty sad after that.

Grandpa approached me after practice because the kid isn't happy and doesn't want to come to practice. I explained the entire situation to him. His response: "Good." I will speak to the young man tomorrow and let him know he is still loved, but remind him that we won't compromise our standards for him or any player.

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

@gumby_in_co 

Just as well. I fixed a lot of pulling issues last night by a) coaching them to keep their shoulders square to the LOS b) using the "towel drill", which is actually now the "flag drill". For some reason, I have a bag full of flags (flag football). I put them on my pullers and told the WBs they had better pull the flags within 4 yards and told the pullers they had better not have their flags pulled. I don't know if it's a fluke, but our 5th grade girl (pulling TE) out-ran the 2nd fastest kid on the team (WB).

Hey Lar,

Been a while.  I was going to reply to your "skip pull" post yesterday, but work got in the way.  Glad to hear you went with the "towel drill" to straighten out the issues.  Always worked for us.  Anything to get the Quick Guard and Tackle as well as the WB heading downhill fast was always preferred.  In my opinion, the skip pull would slow the action down too much.  Plus, I think it would open up an opportunity for bad behaviors and getting the QG and/or QT too deep before getting into the funnel slowing the WB and opening an opportunity for the BSDE to catch the WB.  

I don't think the skip pull would give you what you really want from your Quick Guard and Tackle as it goes against the "scrape paint" philosophy.  I can see it working better for the Strong Guard in a "G" style play or in the skate blocking scheme we ran with our Striker Series Sweep play our last year coaching together. 

Best of luck this season!

Kent

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @cocoachkc

@gumby_in_co 

Hey Lar,

Been a while.  I was going to reply to your "skip pull" post yesterday, but work got in the way.  Glad to hear you went with the "towel drill" to straighten out the issues.  Always worked for us.  Anything to get the Quick Guard and Tackle as well as the WB heading downhill fast was always preferred.  In my opinion, the skip pull would slow the action down too much.  Plus, I think it would open up an opportunity for bad behaviors and getting the QG and/or QT too deep before getting into the funnel slowing the WB and opening an opportunity for the BSDE to catch the WB.  

I don't think the skip pull would give you what you really want from your Quick Guard and Tackle as it goes against the "scrape paint" philosophy.  I can see it working better for the Strong Guard in a "G" style play or in the skate blocking scheme we ran with our Striker Series Sweep play our last year coaching together. 

Kent

A thousand yes's on this one. DW it Trap pulling. Skipping has to be more immediate or you get hung up in no mans land. 

Hope all is well old friend and hope to see you at a game or 3. Lar drew a nice schedule. All but one game at Long Lake Ranch. Its only about 100 miles round trip for you. 😎

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze

Posted by: @mahonz

@gumby_in_co 

Hey Lar,

Kent

A thousand yes's on this one. DW it Trap pulling. Skipping has to be more immediate or you get hung up in no mans land. 

Hope all is well old friend and hope to see you at a game or 3. Lar drew a nice schedule. All but one game at Long Lake Ranch. Its only about 100 miles round trip for you. 😎

Hey Mike!  Good to see you are back in the fold.  I would really like to get out to some games this fall.  I will have Lar shoot me the schedule.  I will try to fit a few in around my home projects.  Have a lot to get done between now and spring when the house goes on the market.  Should have the building permit for our Alabama island home next week.  Probably a month or two out from breaking ground.  Will need to get the 2 separate HOA approvals once we have the building permit.

Kent

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Hey Lar,

Kent

Hey Buddy! How's everything going?

I didn't give much thought to the skip pull after watching a few videos on it. Depth on the pull is a killer. We fixed it.

You'd get a kick out of the 3rd grade team I'm helping with. A few big kids, a few fast kids and a few medium kids who are almost fast. I convinced him to run our Panthers playbook from 2010 with the flipping and simple naming convention. He's all in and most of his assistants are starting to catch the fever.  He is extremely well versed in single wing. He knows many different systems and in the past has taken the best of all of them to make his own version. He's also a wedge master. In fact, I put him in charge of my wedge and he got it running much faster than you and I could ever do it.

With my team, I just need to relax and let the process do its thing.

Miss you, bro.

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze

Hey Buddy! How's everything going?

I didn't give much thought to the skip pull after watching a few videos on it. Depth on the pull is a killer. We fixed it.

You'd get a kick out of the 3rd grade team I'm helping with. A few big kids, a few fast kids and a few medium kids who are almost fast. I convinced him to run our Panthers playbook from 2010 with the flipping and simple naming convention. He's all in and most of his assistants are starting to catch the fever.  He is extremely well versed in single wing. He knows many different systems and in the past has taken the best of all of them to make his own version. He's also a wedge master. In fact, I put him in charge of my wedge and he got it running much faster than you and I could ever do it.

With my team, I just need to relax and let the process do its thing.

Miss you, bro.

What is your practice schedule for the 3rd grade team and your team?  My wife is out of town most of next week.  Maybe I can catch a practice or two.  I would love to watch a little DW action.

Kent

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

@gumby

Perfect timing on this, Seabass. I'm considering dabbling in the skip pull. Any experience with that?

Skip pull is almost more natural of a motion once it's taught.  It gets them upfield at a better angle.  Regardless what gap you want your lineman to pull into it works.  Our kick out pull or trap pull as this guy calls it is different. 

One year I attempted pin/pull for our zone plays this technique helped. We also incorporate this with some screen and delay style runs. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

What is your practice schedule for the 3rd grade team and your team?  My wife is out of town most of next week.  Maybe I can catch a practice or two.  I would love to watch a little DW action.

Kent

Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 5pm-6:30 at Robby Ferrufino Park. 9001 W 74th Ave in Arvada. 

Mondays would be best because that's the only day I'm with them the whole 90 minutes. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

@gumby_in_co 

Hey Lar,

Kent

Hey Mike!  Good to see you are back in the fold.  I would really like to get out to some games this fall.  I will have Lar shoot me the schedule.  I will try to fit a few in around my home projects.  Have a lot to get done between now and spring when the house goes on the market.  Should have the building permit for our Alabama island home next week.  Probably a month or two out from breaking ground.  Will need to get the 2 separate HOA approvals once we have the building permit.

Kent

There is an island in Alabama? 

It would be really great to see you again. Truly really great. 👍

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

4 team scrimmage last night. 

Troy's team (we play them game 7)

Usual scrimmage partner (they play new team below)

New team who came from another leauge (we dont play them this year, but scrimmage partner does)

We gave up a play action pass vs the new team on about the 3rd play. CB was thinking about his girlfriend. After that, I'm not sure they got out of the backfield. DW chewed them up pretty good and busted some big runs with counters/reverses.

Played Troy next. As usual, his offense comes out in mid-season form and his defense is nasty. I eventually kept my guards home to stop his man-child NT from destroying everything. We eeked out a TD on a sustained drive. I think his offense scored 3 or 4 TDs, but overall happy with the defense.  One of our rookies had a coming out party at CB, making a few great sideline tackles. However, he tried to tackle Troy's beast of a FB (side saddle) and just bounced off of him. I told him not to worry about it because every player on my team has bounced off this kid at least once. We had an injury late in the scrimmage. One of my best players hurt his knee. Seemed bad. We'll know more this week.

Ran our revamped Empty (now ACE) against the scrimmage partner. Really exposed their secondary. We ran pure empty against them 2 nights ago and they brought 6 and 7 on every play. QB was rattled and I had only quickly installed 5 man fan protection. Had 5 "should have scored", but rattled QB couldn't find any recivers. Mahonz helped me shift into an Ace formation with slide protection that we put in last night. That extra time let our QB hit our stud receiver 3 times and we hit an arrow route on the trips side that our guy took to the house. Defense did well. We gave up a long run for a TD that shouldn't have happened, but I'm pretty sure Mahonz was in mad-scientist mode at this point. Plus, a lot of subs were in.

I got word that the new team had 3 kids with possible broken bones (wrist, thumb, elbow) last night. Yikes. I thought they were well coached and their offensive scheme wasn't terrible, but they struggled in all of their games.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

@gumby_in_co 

Fun stuff. Good exercise before we start the season. 👍

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 13
Share: