Notifications
Clear all

2022 6th Grade Outlaws

Page 5 / 13

coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Mahonz and I got some bad news last night. One of our best players on both sides of the ball is out for the season. He hurt his knee a few weeks ago while scrimmaging Troy's team. Freak accident, was making a routine tackle and dislocated his knee. He just had an MRI and it turns out he has a torn ACL. Little guy will be going in for surgery pretty soon, but his season is done. It's called a "plant and twist" injury and they said it's very rare this young because they just don't generate the kind of force that usually causes this.  I actually lost sleep over this last night. 11 year old shouldn't have to go through this.

Crazy to tear the ACL at that age, but in my experience (tore my ACL in HS, daughter has torn both of hers and my son tore one of his) the dislocated kneecap can often be directly related to tearing the ACL.  My daughter actually had a small fracture in her femur on the second ACL tear. 

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co Sorry to hear that, Lar. Tough news for an 11 year old.

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Enough "woe is me". On the football side of things:

When I informed Andy of our depth issues....he is not reading all of my emails....he said next man up. 

Then he thought about what he just said.

Yep....woe is us. 

I am confident we will be OK. We just have to figure out how to best take care of our players in the extreme conditions on Saturday. That didn't happen last week. We have to do a better job with any relief we can get them even if its short lived. I have some ideas from when I coached in Phoenix. There will be cold head towels at halftime for sure.....and all opportunities in-between.  Some sideline shade would be good if he have a small pop up tent. I will bring my hand held pump sprayer filled with ice water. We need to hire a parent to manage this for us. It really does help. A lot. 

14 able bodies after Lilly checks out.....4Q's...100+ degree heat on turf....clear skies....3pm KO so probably add some warm wind ....very low humidity so slowed perspiration.....that is our real opponent this week so lets kick its ass. 👍

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@mahonz 

100+ in Colorado? This planet is getting angry! I think we're supposed to be in the low 80's in Maryland. Seems backwards to me. Sounds like a grind it out Beast kinda game to me. Don't keel over. It was 93 at our game last week and it was miserable

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @rpatric

@mahonz 

100+ in Colorado? This planet is getting angry! I think we're supposed to be in the low 80's in Maryland. Seems backwards to me. Sounds like a grind it out Beast kinda game to me. Don't keel over. It was 93 at our game last week and it was miserable

Heat wave right now. Air temp 93 expected on Saturday but add 10 degrees when playing on turf. Denver is actually the high desert. 70 miles West and its in the mid 70's and pleasant. 

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@mahonz 

We have been in that same boat for a couple of weeks now. I love playing on field turf but holy cow it's a magnifier of heat. We played at the University of Montana 2 weeks ago and it was like playing inside of a car with the windows rolled up...absolutely stifling. We are playing on grass this week. I never thought I would say that I'm looking forward to that.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @seabass

@mahonz 

We have been in that same boat for a couple of weeks now. I love playing on field turf but holy cow it's a magnifier of heat. We played at the University of Montana 2 weeks ago and it was like playing inside of a car with the windows rolled up...absolutely stifling. We are playing on grass this week. I never thought I would say that I'm looking forward to that.

Yes it is....really nice in November though 👍

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@mahonz 

There is no doubt about that. Our home playoff games last year were pretty miserable. Like Denver, we can get snow in late October and its almost a guarantee in November. As you well know, you can't really clear a grass football filed of snow like you can field turf. 

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @mahonz

100+ degree heat on turf...

We've found eating a lot of juicy fruits in the days leading up to high temps helps, grapes, melons, apples, oranges, that sort of thing.  Could be somewhat psychosomatic but it seems to work.   

[I started to write 'juice 'em up' then realized that might not come across the way I meant. 😆] 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote
Posted by: @mahonz

100+ degree heat on turf...

We've found eating a lot of juicy fruits in the days leading up to high temps helps, grapes, melons, apples, oranges, that sort of thing.  Could be somewhat psychosomatic but it seems to work.   

[I started to write 'juice 'em up' then realized that might not come across the way I meant. 😆] 

LOL! Thanks. We will mention this at practice tonight. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote

Not psychosomatic.  "Wet" fruits are what active people should be eating.  The natural sugar provides energy and the moisture in the fruit provides hydration.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Thought I'd share this. Might be important to someone.

3rd grade practice last night. Just me and the header. We have never had a smoother practice. Stayed on track and accomplished a lot, including installing our sweep. Header decided to pull BSG, PSG and PSTE. I used the "coach backward" technique to first show them Toss and what we are trying to achieve with it, then made a few quick adjustments, showed them what we are trying to achieve with Sweep. I spoke fast, moved fast and used as few words as I could manage. "Wing blocks this guy, butt to the sideline", etc.

HC and I talked about it after practice. How just the 2 of us accomplished more than when we have a full staff. He and I have very similar coaching philosophies and methodologies. We also have quite a bit of experience with all age groups. We identified a trap that younger coaches tend to fall into, which is "over coaching". Stop trying to fill your players' heads with your entire encyclopedia of knowledge on the art of sealing a DE. In the time you spent lecturing, you could have run 5 reps, making 2 word corrections as you go.

Less is more 99% if the time. Even 6th graders have about a 10 second attention span. Make 1 point, rep it perfectly at least 3 times, then make another and rep that point at least 3 times on top of the one you taught earlier. Kids will learn more in 1 rep than 5 minutes of lecturing. I'm notorious for being a pace setter in practice, even if I'm not in charge. Sometimes, I can tell other coaches are getting frustrated with me, "But I'm about to make my big conclusion that ties together my whole dissertation." Don't care. Coach faster. Less words better.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co 

As a coach, if you're not exhausted by the end of practice, you're doing it wrong. IMHO

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@coachdp 

True...I just read a paper on cramping and one of the things the guy wrote about is the lack of carbohydrates present in people who cramp a lot. We all talk about hydration and electrolytes but I rarely hear anything about dietary imbalances leading to cramps.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @rpatric

As a coach, if you're not exhausted by the end of practice, you're doing it wrong. IMHO

I'm 61.  As soon as I drive up to the field I'm exhausted.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

rpatric, Coyote and mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 13
Share: