Clear all

2022 6th Grade Outlaws

Page 7 / 13

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Got crushed 27-0. 3-1 on the season.

They had a lot of speed and scored on big plays. We drove the ball up and down the field in Beast, DW and Ace (through the air). Fumbled twice in the red zone. Had another drive stall due to a penalty and got off schedule. Lost one of our best players for the season with a broken leg. He hopped off the field on one leg, then collapsed on the sideline in tears. Never seen anything like it. Mojo.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Got crushed 27-0. 3-1 on the season.

They had a lot of speed and scored on big plays. We drove the ball up and down the field in Beast, DW and Ace (through the air). Fumbled twice in the red zone. Had another drive stall due to a penalty and got off schedule. Lost one of our best players for the season with a broken leg. He hopped off the field on one leg, then collapsed on the sideline in tears. Never seen anything like it. Mojo.

No this team was not all that fast....I made them look like track stars.

Catastrophic failure by the Defense. 100% on me. I picked the wrong week to add a in new coverage scheme. 

If I had to guess TOP was in our favor 4:1. Turnovers were 2:2. Penalties were heavy on them. All stats that spell victory. After watching film.... Wow. Just wow. My guys were lost. Like second graders playing their first game ever lost. 

I am an idiot and I take full responsibility. Sometimes I get bored and cant leave well enough alone. This week I F'd everything up and it effected the Offense and your schedule BIG TIME. The last TD yielded Lilly was at NG. That's how bad I screwed up your schedule. 

That is exactly what happened. No if's and's or but's. Your Offense moved the football up and down the field. Problem was....so did my Defense but in HUGE chunks. Embarrassing performance. Going to take a while to wipe the stank off this one for me. I really blew it. Badly. 

Very winnable game. If this were the NFL ....you'd fire me today. 

Cant believe we lost another 2 way starter for the season. I feel terrible for "S". What is that?....a non football surgery...2 broken arms... a broken leg and an ACL tear. We are running out of players. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

They look plenty fast to me.

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @troy

They look plenty fast to me.

Of course they do....there is not enough oxygen in Evergreen to properly feed your brain so everything is a ....rush. 😎 

I really really really F'd up this week. Put our Offense way off schedule. I can never let that happen again.  Like you....we are grinders. Got way to clever for my own good this week only because I bore easily. I have got to stop doing that.   😡

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

Everyone lays an egg at least once per year. Don't be too hard on yourself.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Okay. I think I'm ready to talk a little about last week's game. Are they a better team than us? Maybe. They seem like a highly skilled flag football team. Are they 27 points better than us? Hell no. Mahonz is falling on his sword for changing the defense to match something we hadn't seen yet and doing this in a week where several kids didn't practice due to Outdoor Lab (a county-wide, week-long outdoor education program), and a key player going on a last-minute camping trip. However, I'm the HC and final decisions (and final responsibility) is on me. I've been a DC about 6 or 7 seasons. I am a film fanatic. In each of those seasons, I at least once came up with a Facemelter tailor made to an upcoming opponent. Hell, every year I play Troy, we seem to try to re-invent defense, which I know is exactly what Troy wants us to do. Every time I drew up the new 85 Bears defense, my HC (at least 4 times it was Mahonz) talked me off the ledge and said, "Stick to what you do well." 

So, this week, Mahonz and I out-smarted ourselves.

Special teams was a failure because we lost an onside kick. Kid made the right play on the ball, but couldn't hang onto it. Who's fault was that? Mine. We've spent a ton of time on my fancy starburst return, but failed to get the front line ANY (Yes, that's correct) reps fielding onside kicks. I set this kid up for failure.

Offense was abysmal in that we had 5 turnovers. 2 fumbles and 3 TODs. We moved the ball well, which in the pass/fail grading system that is football means nothing. Mahonz said he put me off schedule, but that doesn't mean anything if we don't cross the line at the end of the field. 

I do agree with Mahonz that Saturday was a coaching failure. On my end of it, I walked away with a sense that several of my players broke a cardinal rule on our team. Players are not allowed to change their job without discussing it with a coach first. I rolled 6 instances of this off the top of my head when the game was over. I watched film (I had to stop at 53 plays out of 100+) and counted 14 times where someone purposely changed their job. A few quick examples:

1) Making the conscious decision to carry the ball in 1 hand. Team rule is that you protect the ball with 2 hands unless there is no one between you and the end zone. Only then may you take one hand off the ball. This resulted in 2 fumbles, but I am not an outcome-based coach. I coach the process and I am disappointed that so many of my backs ignored the process even if it didn't result in a fumble.

2) Blocking with their hands. All this well-deserved hype about X-man blocking and I still find 2 players using their hands and getting away with a hold.

3) Short guard blocking out on a Beast pass, allowing a defender free in the A gap. "But when you sent 'K' out for a pass, there was this big guy coming from the outside". Yeah. I sent the outside sniffer back side to get that big, scary guy. Thanks you your decision, we double teamed him and let someone through the A gap unblocked.

4) QB not setting his feet on throws. I guess it wasn't important to him because he is "so good". Except he wasn't. Probably left 3 TD passes on the turf because he has a better way to throw than the way he's been taught and drilled.

So, I pulled team together at the start of practice and discussed the rule on changing your job. I would call out an example (I had 14 written down). I named the player who made the decision because I believe in accountability and I sent the team on an 80 yard belly run. Lather, rinse, repeat until I was satisfied that not changing your job is as important to them as it is to me. I made it clear that this was not a punishment, but a tool to get them focused on what is important to the coaching staff. I also made it clear that this had nothing to do with losing a game and that I would never punish a team for losing a game. I also explained that I am a film fanatic and every defiant decision would be scrutinized. If the trend continues, I further explained that this is what Tuesdays would be like the rest of the season. 

Moving on to next week's opponent. Mostly 5th graders (6th grade division). They are small, slow and poorly coached. They have no Mojo at all. They run I formation under center (poorly) when they run and they run pistol with split backs (poorly) when they want to pass. They can't block and they can't tackle. Defensively, they run a 5-3 and blitz the same 2 linebackers from the same side 90% of the time. When they blitz, both linebackers jump back and forth. "Am I blitzing or dropping into coverage?", but they always blitz if they are jumping. Other than that, they are a great football team.

Moved our man-child DT to LB and FB. So game plan is to get him 10 carries at FB. Get the other beast FB 5 carries. Get the QB 15 throws. Focus on Sweep and WB counter in preparation for Troy and another tough team in our last 2 games. I don't plan on running any Beast, except to get film on our new "split" formation to accommodate our 5th grade girl who is getting victimized at short guard. Mahonz is shuffling the defense because we lost one of our best 2 way players for the season with a broken leg.

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

@gumby_in_co 

In regards to the 80 yard belly run thing for the instances of players changing their jobs, did you do anything similar after the first 3 games of the season or did no players change their jobs a single time throughout those 3 games?

Not "poking" at you. Seriously asking.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I do agree with Mahonz that Saturday was a coaching failure.

I hate it when we show up to a game raring to go and start punching ourselves in the face. 🤣 

....now aptly referred to as the Hackett Syndrome. 😎

....or the Joseph Syndrome because we did have a good week of practice. 😜

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachmiket

@gumby_in_co 

In regards to the 80 yard belly run thing for the instances of players changing their jobs, did you do anything similar after the first 3 games of the season or did no players change their jobs a single time throughout those 3 games?

Not "poking" at you. Seriously asking.

Good question. It has been nagging at me, but seemed like isolated incidents, I suppose. Came to a head on Saturday when I could name 6 instances just by watching.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Just got an email that Saturday's opponent is a forfeit. They got beat 50-0 Saturday by a team that we beat. No explanation. Trying to find a replacement.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I guess the big news first. I walked off the 3rd grade team (literally) in the middle of a game. We were losing to a team with a dude who would reverse field 3 times and score. Parents were chirping the staff pretty bad. If I had to guess, a lot of them are Broncos fans and figured that since Broncos fans get loud and boo when Hackett has a delay of game or doesn't get 11 on the field, then it's okay to do that to a volunteer youth staff. 

When they started chirping me directly, using threatening language and gestures . . . bye. Have a good life. Best of luck to you. Our tackle jumped offside on a no play on 4th and 1. Header called a time out. I went onto the field to correct this young man. I put my hand on his shoulder and told him sternly that he MUST do a better job of paying attention. Grandpa started yelling at me, "LEAVE HIM ALONE, COACH! HE KNOWS!". Mom yelled, "YEAH! GRAB HIM AGAIN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!". I looked at Grandpa with my arms up and said, "C'mon, really?" He thew his arms up with aggressive body language and yelled "WHAT'S UP?" That was it for me. A former coach asked me not to leave. I said, "I'm out here 6 days a week for other people's kids. If I'm not wanted or appreciated, I have other things to do with my time. I got up at 7am on a Saturday to drive an hour for the benefit of your kids. I'm done."

As I walked off, another parent said, "If you walk out on them now, don't come back". I said, "Buddy, I guarantee that won't be a problem".

Talked with the header (a dear friend) later and he understood. He said he was aware of the parents' general comments, but didn't hear anything directed specifically at me.

As far as my team . . . I sent an email to the parents regarding attendance. Immediately got a response from a parent. "Ooh. Bad timing. I have scheduled a family vacation during Fall break. R will miss the game vs Mountain" (Troy's team). 

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Silver

"LEAVE HIM ALONE, COACH! HE KNOWS!".

If he knows, why did he jump? It doesn't seem like a stretch that you'd want to say, "C'mon, dude, concentrate". I know I said that at least a half dozen times last week. No one said a word.

It's really disgusting that to hear that this happened. I know you're giving your all to at least two teams not to mention the countless others you've helped on this site and Facebook (or at least from the handle, I'm assuming it's you). It's disappointing that people aren't grateful that you've chosen to volunteer your time.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co  Sorry you had to deal with that nonsense. Some of these parents are unbelievable.

Back in 2014, I was asked to take over a 5th grade team that had lost every game the prior year. The manager had gotten their first coach, Dale, removed, then had their second coach replaced by me.

After one practice, she called me sobbing demanding to know why I send her son off to the side to do practice snaps every practice. The idiotic question and her absurd emotional state were so insanely ridiculous that I was disoriented and couldn't respond with my standard, "I'm sorry you don't like it. I can have the league issue you a waiver and you can take your kid to another area" response.

We finally got the team a win and were playing an undefeated Lakewood team that expected to win the Carnation Bowl. During the game, her son, probably a neurotic mess due to his mother's insanity, got the snap yips and started snapping the ball over the QB's head. It happened about 5 times before I made the change to another snapper. Well, ole AM didn't like that and spent the remainder of the game insisting that I should be fired to all the parents. We actually won the game, 3 yards at a time, which would be like your or my team knocking off the T'wolves.

When I got home, I got a call from the area VP saying he was investigating an "incident" at the game. He said AM had accused me of physically assaulting her son in the game which was an absolute lie. There were over 100 people on our sideline between our team and the next team getting ready and not a single one corroborated her story. Not one. AM got no traction with her calls for me to get fired so she just doubled down like Karens do. She lied and it is very difficult to undo that damage. At the end of the year, the Board removed me from the team despite taking them to a 6-2 record! 

My team parents were so pissed off they literally ran AM and her husband out of town. They couldn't even go to the grocery store with being confronted for being liars. They nearly destroyed MYFA but TP and DZ and JP stepped in and held it together. They asked me to come back but I was so upset that it took 3 years to cool off. Dave Z took over and that is the team you played against for the next 3 years.

After that incident, I just won't put up with idiot/a-hole parents any more. I promised myself that if a similar scenario ever arises, I will just remove them from the team. It's ruthless for the kid who is not to blame, but there are 20 other kids on the team whose interests count as well.

I think you made the right call, Lar. That sounds like a toxic situation and as a volunteer who does this for the game and the social aspect, it is just not worth it.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

"LEAVE HIM ALONE, COACH! HE KNOWS!".

If he knows, why did he jump? It doesn't seem like a stretch that you'd want to say, "C'mon, dude, concentrate". I know I said that at least a half dozen times last week. No one said a word.

It's really disgusting that to hear that this happened. I know you're giving your all to at least two teams not to mention the countless others you've helped on this site and Facebook (or at least from the handle, I'm assuming it's you). It's disappointing that people aren't grateful that you've chosen to volunteer your time.

It's me. I think the pandemic changed people for the worst. Ironically, the grandpa who confronted me is a coach. I'll give you odds that he doesn't tolerate parents yapping at him on the sideline. 

In youth sports, there are givers, there are takers and there are logs (do nothing). The takers are going to chase off the givers and the logs are going to watch it happen.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @troy

He said AM had accused me of physically assaulting her son in the game which was an absolute lie.

And that is why I simply walked away. It's like being accused of being a racist, a rapist or a pedophile. Once that gets out, your name is forever muddy.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 13
Share: