2022 Season Results

Notifications
Clear all

2022 Season Results

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

2022 was a good but exhausting season...

I ended up being the head guy for two different teams...

Dawgs 3.0 were my 11/12 year old group, the oldest age group our league coaches before turning them over to middle school. They had a great season, going 7 and 1 in the regular season and running through the playoffs to win the big shiny trophy. Been with this group of boys since they were 7 and they played in every single championship game in those 5 years, winning 4 of them.

Dawgs 4.0 were my new team, 7 year old "rookie tackle" 6v6 with some goofy rules...they also had a great season, finishing 7-1, again running through the playoffs and winning the big shiny trophy. I decided to take these guys on as I had a couple of "big brothers" on the older team whose mom's would not let their sons play football if I was not their coach. And football is important 🙂

It was a tiring season...but we were able to figure out how to run practices in tandem with staggered start times, so it kept me from being at the fields 6 days a week.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Diamond

Wow. Tale of 2 coaches.

I had an exhausting, but bad season. Really bad.

I too coached a 6th grade team. We went 5-3 in the regular season, but with a huge asterisk. 2 of those wins were by forfeit, which really doesn't happen in our league. First time I've ever had a team forfeit and I had 2.  One of our losses was against a brand new team full of rookies. After that game, 2 of my ACs nearly got into a fistfight, so I had to fire them. Then had a parent melt down on me over the situation before I was able to address it. We got progressively worse over the season and for the first time in many years, I questioned whether I want to do this. Honestly, I finished the season because I felt obligated, which is never a good thing. Got blown out in the playoffs, but actually played well.

I too coached a 2nd grade team, but as an AC. This team made my team's drama seem tame. HC is a dear friend and he shed some tears over that team. He too, fired 2 coaches and had 1 quit (me). Yeah, I walked away in the middle of a game because a couple of grandparents (???) threatened me. 

Yesterday was literally the first day that I felt like thinking/talking about football. I already know what I'm going to do to fix what was broken.

Game plan? I got your game plan. We gonna run the bawl some. We gonna throw the bawl some. We gonna play some defense. We gonna run some special teams, but we better not run kick return but one time and we sure as heck better not punt.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

@gumby I feel you...2021 was a weird season for me with the drama...

I have been the "head guy" since 2009 and had never had to fire a coach, have I had bad ones? Yes, but always found a way to manage them.

In 2021 I had to fire 2...one for putting his hands on an opposing coach...the other, because he reminded me of Eyeore or however you spell it, the donkey from Winnie the Pooh who walked around with a storm cloud over his head. His bad attitude was affecting the team and me...I was ready to step down after last season...and I was thinking about why I was struggling so much, and it struck me...this guys was stealing my "bliss", so he had to go.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Diamond

@spidermac LOL! I've had several players and coaches over the years that i nicknamed "Eeoyre". I know exactly what you're talking about. 

My woes started with one of my best players (2 way starter) missing the jamboree to meet his newborn cousin in TX. I even got an email from his dad asking to "stop picking on him" for going on the trip because it was making him feel bad. Kid had no say in going on the trip and was pissed the entire time. I replied, "So you ignored his feelings when you went on the trip, but you're asking me to consider his feelings now that he's back". Anyway, his parents are pretty influential among the player agents, so that set the tone that it's okay to miss football for leisure. That's entirely on me. At times, we had 7 players at the field when practice started and would be lucky to have 15 30 minutes later. Sometimes, we had 11 or 12 out of 20 or so able bodies.

Injuries were also a problem. 2 broken arms at the beginning of the season. Both players were out until game 6 or so. 2 of my best players had season ending injuries. 1 ACL and 1 broken leg.

Felt unsupported by my club. Organized a jamboree featuring 3 teams from our club, but club was clear that we couldn't use the game fields. "If you want to have a scrimmage, have it at the park. We can't make special allowances because you want to have a scrimmage". All 3 coaches thought it would be beneficial to be able to play on official fields because our kids had never played on 100 yard HS fields before. Then, got no support after a team forfeited. Team was really struggling and decided not to play us. Something that NEVER happens in our league. I bitched to the league and was offered a steaming, hot mug of "Shut the f**k up". "Forfeits happen. Deal with it." No support from the club. Tried to arrange a replacement scrimmage, but couldn't get the club pres to respond to texts/emails to get us a field. Had to go to freaking Boulder to find a scrimmage partner from another league. Then, the 2nd team forfeited (season cancelled, kicked out of the league due to parent/coach behavior). Again, no support from the club to get us a field for a replacement scrimmage. 

Drama from the 2nd grade team was too much to describe here. Most toxic environment I have EVER seen. Players, parents and coaches. As I said, I walked away from that team in the middle of a game. 

Out of nowhere, 2 ACs went at each other post game. T was upset with A because A "didn't say Hi to him in pre-game". By upset, I mean "pissed to the point of rage". A tried to make peace, but T was hot. A kept pushing the issue and at one point told T to stop acting like a bitch. T flew into a rage and took a fighting stance. It was as close to a fight as you can get without any punches thrown. A put his hand out asking for peace, but T slapped it. I tried to 24 hour the situation, but a Karen mom decided to wade in on me, telling me about how things are "not okay" and "unacceptable" and how she "won't tolerate" the situation, etc. I tried to 24 hour her as well, but she wasn't having it, so I went nuclear on her.  So at a time when I had to make the gut wrenching decision to fire 2 friends and tell them they can no longer coach their sons, this lady is giving me crap and working the peanut gallery with a "you're benching my son because you didn't like the email I sent". No, I'm benching your son because he's lazy . . . probably from being coddled, which may be fine at home, but not on my team.

All the while, we are getting worse and worse as a football team. No one can remember their assignment when asked. So you work hard to fix that and all seems well until game day. Whether or not the remember their assignment is moot because they sure as hell don't do it.

Game plan? I got your game plan. We gonna run the bawl some. We gonna throw the bawl some. We gonna play some defense. We gonna run some special teams, but we better not run kick return but one time and we sure as heck better not punt.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Silver

2022 season

Coached 3rd and 4th grade Rec league team.

After a nightmarish 2021 which left me wondering if I had forgotten how to coach, we rebounded with an  11-1 season and league championship.  

I’ve had teams that were successful, but not fun to coach, and teams that were fun to coach, but not successful.  This team was both fun to coach and successful. 

We got some help, during the draft a couple odd choices by other coaches left kids on the board who were better – a lot better – and we benefitted.   Local paper referred to our offense as the ‘3-headed monster,’ as our HB, TB and WB were all pretty good, each really benefitted from having the other 2 since the defenses couldn’t key one kid.   We had some kids on the OL who really improved during the course of the season, and seemed to make their biggest strides when we needed them the most. 

Our one loss was also the one time I had issues to deal with…    we played 4 non-league games, as we were in 1st place, we played other leagues’ best teams.    It’s not uncommon for a team to have a kid that is head shoulders bigger than the rest of the team, but the team we lost to had 6 of those monsters.  Our kids went into the game pretty intimidated.  At the half, we were down 18-0.   I’m getting my best half-time stuff together, but as the kids were coming off the field, they’re talking to each other saying things like… “Have you been hit?  I ain’t been hit” and “those guys are soft” and such.  I saved my speech for another day, we reminded the kids of their blocking assignments, told the backs to secure the ball better (had lost 2 fumbles), and went out in the 2nd half – not quite dominated – but shut them down to only four 1st downs, and no points, and put up 16 pts of our own.  We had the ball last, were going in to score when time ran out.  Our kids will tell you we didn’t lose, we just ran out of time.  Lost 18-16.

The issue…  that other team’s coaches were kind of being jerks and my young assistants  - being full of vim and vinegar – took the bait.   Both teams were on the same side of the field and their coaches didn’t respect the 50 yd line.  When the ball was on our end of the field, a couple of their coaches were walking about 10 yards behind our bench, talking just loud enough to be heard making pejorative comments.  My DC was esp. incensed.   Well, we had a couple questionable calls against us on back-to-back plays while on D, and my DC made a loud comment.  The ref blew-up flagged him, and that opened the door for the other team’s coaches to start running their mouths.  After the game, their coaches were pouring it on, and I had to shut my AC’s down hard, coming off the field.  They are young, they’ll learn and be fine, but they let the other team’s coaches get under their skin.  Once things we got off the field and away from the kids and parents, I had a ‘Come to Jesus meeting' with my coaches.   No more issues after that…

We had won the right to coach the post season ‘all-stars’ – having done it 3 times before, I wasn’t interested.  But, it looked like we might have a chance to play the poachers, so – for a shot at them – we took the All-stars.   The 1st tourney we were scheduled got cancelled, and left us scrambling, there was one opening in the big-city tournament, but it was in the big school division.   We took the spot, we didn’t belong on the field with those teams.  We did some good things, but we were badly outmanned.  2nd tournament, closer to our level - we went 1-3.  Again, did some good things, but too many of our kids from the other teams – esp. on the Oline – when things didn’t go well, would revert to what they’d done for their own teams – just 'block the guy in front of you' when they were supposed to down block for the OG pulling,  left a big hole for the D. 

Didn’t get to play the poachers, they were supposed to be at both the tournaments we had scheduled, but the 1st got cancelled, and they pulled out of the 2nd at the last minute.  We received no complaints from parents or anyone else after our losses in those Tournaments, but I thought we should have been better.

Anyway…  our 11 – 1 team only had three 4th graders (2 of whom are very good and will be missed), and most the team returns intact, and the up-coming class has a lot of good kids, so we should be in a good position to make another run for the title next year.    

Highlight of the season, was getting a  hug from our autistic kid who just doesn’t do that kind of thing.

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Share: