8U  

RSS

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
October 9, 2020 3:18 am  

We played the No. 1 team in our league tonight. We got beat 27-0.

Here's the thing: it wasn't as bad the final score would indicate. Yes, we missed some tackles (to put it mildly), but the score could've been much different. It was 14-0 in the second quarter and we scored on third and goal. However, because the QB dropped the ball and ran through the "A" Gap, we got called for illegal procedure and had it wiped off the board. The team wasn't the same after that - I did my best to keep their heads up. We had two other drives that were successful, but stalled due to mistakes -- typical first game stuff (this was the other team's third game).

The good news is that all of these things are correctable. Fortunately, we get another crack at this team in a few weeks. I think we can that contest if we cut down on the mistakes. My other team plays this same group on Saturday, so I'll keep you posted.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

Coyote and rpatric liked
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
October 9, 2020 8:51 am  

Rome wasn't built in a day. I know you'll get em straight Coach!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 9, 2020 11:14 am  

I really look forward to those types of challenges, especially with our current group. I love to see where they improve. For us, it was the intangibles. Last year, we were shell shocked against the team that has yet to lose. This year, we had some dog in us. We all watched last year's film vs tomorrow's opponent. Mahonz pointed out that we were terrified. They are going to see a very different team tomorrow, win or lose.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
October 9, 2020 11:39 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I really look forward to those types of challenges, especially with our current group.

You and me both, Coach!! Ironically, my other team (Vikings) plays the team that pummeled us last night. 9am cannot get here fast enough!!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 10, 2020 3:17 pm  

@terrypjohnson

Very happy with today's result. Lost 26-18, but made them work for every inch. Our weird little group of dudes took it up a notch. We intimidated some long time bullies. I had a good feeling in pre-game. I was busy putting together a 7 man scout front, when I heard my o-line calling out the blocking, identifying a stack/tap and communicating their blocks . . . all without me. It was a big deal for me to see them take ownership of this thing we've created.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 10, 2020 7:15 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

@terrypjohnson

Very happy with today's result. Lost 26-18, but made them work for every inch. Our weird little group of dudes took it up a notch. We intimidated some long time bullies. I had a good feeling in pre-game. I was busy putting together a 7 man scout front, when I heard my o-line calling out the blocking, identifying a stack/tap and communicating their blocks . . . all without me. It was a big deal for me to see them take ownership of this thing we've created.

They love you. 👍 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Share: