8u Patriots Finale  

RSS

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
October 28, 2019 9:32 pm  

Tonight, we closed out the season against the other team from our city. We finally got back our best player, who suffered an injury against this team the last time that we played. I limited his carries in the first half, but was forced to lean on him heavily in the second half. With him taking the snaps, my Single Wing started clicking again. On the final drive, I held the ball for the five minutes of the game before taking a knee to run out the clock.

Of course, with the way the defense was playing, it wouldn't have mattered. For whatever reason, the other team was running trips to their left (our right) on every play. The OLB's had a field day, routinely making TFL's. The other team was able to pop a big run later in the game, but it was called back due to an illegal block. Two plays later, the smallest guy on the team -- who wanted to wear No. 45 because it was Rudy's number -- picked off a pass and took it to the house. Miraculously, we got the PAT after FB missed the hand off and our QB followed him into the end zone. We won 7-0.

All-in-all, it was a great season. Sure, we went 5-6. However, we posted three shutouts and won two games without scoring an offensive touchdown. We even won one contest with only 10 players!

I plan to spend the offseason learning everything I can about the Double Wing and how I can add it to my arsenal. I'll also be active on the blog (as promised).

Thank you to all of the coaches -- especially Coach Wilkins and Coach Potter -- who helped me improve this year!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 28, 2019 10:58 pm  

Thank you to all of the coaches -- especially Coach Wilkins and Coach Potter -- who helped me improve this year!

TPJ, you took the time to improve.  Most don't.  Congratulations.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
October 29, 2019 4:52 am  

Congrats Terry, it only gets more fun as the boys grow and get better.  Plus it's groups like this that helped a lot of us grow as coaches.  I cant believe my little boy is now in 8th grade, flag seems like yesterday!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 29, 2019 5:02 am  

I plan to spend the offseason learning everything I can about the Double Wing and how I can add it to my arsenal. I'll also be active on the blog (as promised).

You have quickly become a great member of this forum. I don't know how long you "lurked" but its been awesome seeing your posts.
Congrats coach and I echo what Dave said, "You have made the effort and the decision to seek help". Your players are in good hands.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Share: